Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meltless chocolate

• 20-07-2006 4:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

Can it be true? The main question is will it taste good or teh mank. :)
    Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - FreeMarketNews.com

Genetic engineering just doesn’t know when to say when. That's the contention of Whitley Strieber at his Unknown Country website at least, as he notes the latest target for genetic modification: chocolate!

He cites a story in Live Science that details a research program in Nigeria, intended to produce a form of chocolate that could withstand even this week's America-wide heatwaves. Normally, the sweet confection melts at between 77 and 91° F, but the Cocoa Research Institute of Nigeria is now mixing cornstarch with cocoa, producing a heat-resistant chocolate that they claim still tastes good, but doesn't start melting until it reaches 122.

The story speculates on whether or not Westerners will accept the grainier texture of the new concoction, or whether it can break through into the Valentine's Day market. Either version, it notes, still contains flavanols that help the heart, and raises serotonin levels (which makes the heart happy in other ways).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

:eek: 122 deg F = 50 deg C

woah...me likey idea...*drool*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

it'd be awful to cook w/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Tree wrote:
    it'd be awful to cook w/
    which means it won't be wasted in cakes, it can only be eaten as it is, in a bar :):):)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

"Grainier texture", eh?

Sounds like it will be mank, just from those two words.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

which means it won't be wasted in cakes, it can only be eaten as it is, in a bar :):):)
    :O

have you not had my choc cake!?!?

• Advertisement

em, no i have not had that pleasure thus far. Now if you want to bake me one and sent it to me, i will have no complaints ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Intriguing....but lets be honest, apart from these last few days exactly how often here in Ireland have we been the victims of melting chocolate? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

When I carry around kitkats in my back pocket :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

What about M&Ms? Melt in your mouth, not in your hands ('cha right!). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I never have chocolate long enough for it to melt...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If it doesn't melt then how does it break down properly in your mouth? The reason why chocolate is so nice is because it breaks down so well isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Don't like the sound of this at all. I don't like to chew chocolate, I like to let it melt in my mouth so this would make it much less pleasurable for me. 'Grainier texture'? Eeewww!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Kolodny wrote:
    Don't like the sound of this at all. I don't like to chew chocolate, I like to let it melt in my mouth so this would make it much less pleasurable for me. 'Grainier texture'? Eeewww!

Its funny I always just assumed people sucked chocolate. Until I saw my girlfriend just chomping it down in a minute, it didn't really hit me before that that people chew chocolate like they would any other food! I don't get that, you don't have time to savour the taste, it just seems a waste! Whenever I try chewing chocolate its all a bit meh, nothing special at all. But - this new chocolate COULD be good news in that sense - chocolate you can suck but it still lasts for ages! I like the sound of that...

i can never ever decide whether to suck or chew my chocolate so i tend to do half and half!! Sucking makes it last longer, but I think chewing makes it spread around your whole mouth so it's you taste it more.... Eating chocolate is very confusing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭weemcd

melted chocolate is he fúcking win, usually slightly melted chocolate is class, provided it hasn't turned into complete liquid. I could murder a slightly soft galaxy now tbh.

Advertisement