Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming from MiddleEast

• 20-07-2006 8:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi

My name is Mohammed

I will be ireland after one month for working as a Software Engineer; I am coming From Saudia Arabia; i am orgionally from Jordan.

I am happey to c web sites talking about Islam and Arab in Ireland

this will be my first time in Europe and I have a lot of questions about being Arabic Muslim living in Ireland; I hope i can find some friends there.....

I am married with one child here name is Sara and she is 7 months old

Looking foreword to hear from u and make friendship inorder to meet soon

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Medina

Hi,
    Welcome to Ireland when you get here!

I hope you and your family like it.

I am not a Muslim but I wish you all the best.

There are two mosques in Dublin and you should make friends at either one, they seem to be places where people mix very well from what I hear.

Best wishes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭babyvaio

mmalaka wrote:
    Hi

My name is Mohammed

I will be ireland after one month for working as a Software Engineer; I am coming From Saudia Arabia; i am orgionally from Jordan.

I am happey to c web sites talking about Islam and Arab in Ireland

this will be my first time in Europe and I have a lot of questions about being Arabic Muslim living in Ireland; I hope i can find some friends there.....

I am married with one child here name is Sara and she is 7 months old

Looking foreword to hear from u and make friendship inorder to meet soon

Thanks

Salaam alaikum we rahmatullahi we barakatuh' my brother!

I hope you will find this country beautiful, same as I did, and anything you need, just send me a message when you get here insha'Allah and we can meet in the masjid insha'Allah. :)

Salaam alaikum we rahmatullahi we barakatuh'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Al Salam Alaykom!

Hi Mohamed!! You're very welcome to the Islam forum on boards.ie! Sorry for my late reply, the truth is that I've been very busy these last few days and that is why I haven't replied until now.

Anyway, I'm not currently in Ireland but I'm sure you'll like it there. The Irish are generally very welcoming and friendly. Hope you enjoy your stay! How long are you planning to stay there by the way? Anyway, I'm sure we'll all be glad to help any way we can Insha Allah.

Salam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

Thanks a lot for ur replies; I am planning to stay as long as I can; I think I will enjoy being in Ireland; I am only concern about to things: Accomdiation and in which area to stay; noting that the company that I will work in is in Area called Blackrock.

The other thing is to find Muslims/Arabic Families to make friendship with my famiely...

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Medina

Hi again,

Here is a link www.daft.ie in which you might find accommodation to rent (otherwise known as Lettings if you rent the whole place, if you want to share with other people then check the category Sharing.

Here is the link for lettings in the Blackrock area : http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=ct1&s%5Ba_id%5D=188&s%5Bmnp%5D=&s%5Bmxp%5D=&s%5Bbd_no%5D=&refine=Refine&search=1&search_type=rental

Blackrock is an expensive area, other areas such as Ranelagh, Dundrum, Stillorgan may be cheaper, anywhere in the South City.

And will you be relying on public transport or bringing a car?

• Advertisement

I looked into the site i think there is no big different between the areas u talked about and blacrock; i am planning to rent 2 rooms flat,,,

for the car i will not bring a car with me; but i planning to buy a car in ireland

is it better to have a car or to use the lacal transportation???

thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Medina wrote:
    Hi again,

Here is a link www.daft.ie in which you might find accommodation to rent (otherwise known as Lettings if you rent the whole place, if you want to share with other people then check the category Sharing.

Here is the link for lettings in the Blackrock area : http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=ct1&s%5Ba_id%5D=188&s%5Bmnp%5D=&s%5Bmxp%5D=&s%5Bbd_no%5D=&refine=Refine&search=1&search_type=rental

Blackrock is an expensive area, other areas such as Ranelagh, Dundrum, Stillorgan may be cheaper, anywhere in the South City.

And will you be relying on public transport or bringing a car?
    Good advice there. That said I'm not sure any Irish person actually relies on public transport. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

mmalaka wrote:
    is it better to have a car or to use the lacal transportation???

thanks
    A car can be an expensive option but does give you and the family more freedom(shopping, checking out the country). Go to the driving forum here and you should get good advice on the best deals. Public transport can be a bit variable. Depends on which service and where you end up living. If it's a DART or LUAS line it's good. The bus can be a problem in my experience.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I noticed on the daft site that most of the apartments r furnished; from rhe place I am coming from this option means more cost in the rent value and less quilty in the furnture (most of it badly used)

What about in Ireland??? is ut cheaper to buy my own things or what???

Well, you could always get an unfurnished flat and then buy some second hand furniture really cheaply. It's amazing what you can find second hand. We got some great second hand furniture for our house.

Usually, the furniture in a furnished flat is pretty good though. I've rented a few furnished places before and the stuff was fine. Best thing to do is to take a look for yourself.

• Advertisement

If it helps and you have time you can get some very nice furniture at auctions. I've gotten some nice stuff that way over the years. Things like sofas I'd personally buy new though.

Wibbs wrote:
    Things like sofas I'd personally buy new though.
    Great advice there actually.

^ yea I know. I must be slipping. I'd better go and lie down.:D

Seriously though, soft furnishings are a no no second hand. If you do buy second hand furniture, make sure it's free of woodworm, though it's rare these days. It's obvious, but get good advice about buying a second hand car as well. the AA do a check on any potential purchase for a small fee. It's worth it. Maybe when you do join a mosque you'll find people who can sort you out anyway.

Good luck with it.

Thanks alot friends;

ur advice is very useful; I am looking foreword to join u in Ireland

Our pleasure.

Insha Allah, you'll make a safe journey over and you and your family will settle in well Insha Allah. Make sure you come back to the forum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 de lioncourt

hey mmalaka,
    how are you?
    well best of lucks and i hope you enjoy your stay there in Ireland.
    i will hopefully be in ireland pretty soon too.
    and i grew up in KSA... :D
    lol

Ma'Salama (hope i got that right ;))

Salam mmalaka!

I guess you're in Ireland by now. What's news? :)

Hi People;

I am in Ireland now....

my work is in Balcktock area; I looking for apartment of 2 bedrooms and it is not easy as I thought!!!!and it is not cheap it is around 1200 is that ok??

I went to the ICCI; it is little bit far from where I am; I am still not having a car!!!

I hope I will find apartment soon

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Salaam mmalaka

A good way to get to the ICCI from Blackrock is the number 17 bus, there is a link available here. It is at the Roebuck Road. However as you can see the bus is quite infrequent!

Blackrock is quite expensive to rent in, but is well served by the DART, so perhaps it might be cheaper to live further along the DART line (on the northside) whilst maintaining the link to Blackrock?
    €1,200 per month is probably about right for Blackrock, but in general terms for the city, isn't cheap. Hope that helps.

And of course welcome to Ireland:)

Hi Firends;

My home search leads me to got an apartment in CharlesLand Park in Greystones; it is lovely apartment and Brand new; the Area is so nice; the sea meet with lovely Green Areas; Is there any mosques; Hala Food shops & Resturnats here???

now my next target is to bring my family here to join me; I would like to know Arabic Families here to build a family friendship coz my wife is not so good in English...

I am planning to go tomorrow to visit ICCI again; I would like to meet friends there....

Thanks for ur help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

No Mosques. No Halal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

mmalaka wrote:
    Hi Firends;

My home search leads me to got an apartment in CharlesLand Park in Greystones; it is lovely apartment and Brand new; the Area is so nice; the sea meet with lovely Green Areas; Is there any mosques; Hala Food shops & Resturnats here???

now my next target is to bring my family here to join me; I would like to know Arabic Families here to build a family friendship coz my wife is not so good in English...

I am planning to go tomorrow to visit ICCI again; I would like to meet friends there....

Thanks for ur help

Your wife is highly unlikey to spend any time with Christian neighbours even IF SHE DID speak English.

Please don't insult my intelligence. Its just that thing, don't do it.

WHy don't you go to the Burnaby Bar to meet some friends? Or the Justice Parish?

Don't ever insult my intelligence again.

Maybe your wife could learn some English BEFORE she comes here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

IT banned for one week.

edit. After reading the other posts, making it two weeks.

Sorry mmalaka, I don't know the Dublin area very well at all. Maybe someone else here can help you.

The Islamic finder website (www.islamicfinder.com) has a good section on Islamic organisations and businesses. There is a page for Ireland. Take a look and see what you can find.
    IT Loser wrote:
    Your wife is highly unlikey to spend any time with Christian neighbours even IF SHE DID speak English.

Please don't insult my intelligence. Its just that thing, don't do it.

WHy don't you go to the Burnaby Bar to meet some friends? Or the Justice Parish?

Don't ever insult my intelligence again.

Maybe your wife could learn some English BEFORE she comes here?
    People like you make me sad. This kind of mentality based on ignorance is exactly why integration in the society has so much trouble.

Friends;

I am so close to complete my first month here; and from what i saw here that it is a very expensive country; and things r more complicated than what I used to in MiddleEast!!!

it seems to me that the monthly cost of living for a Muslim Family here would be between 2500 - 3000 Euro monthly including food; rent; bills and so on

what do u think of that??

Unfortunately, the cost of living in Ireland is very expensive. Personally speaking, I can't really tell you how much it should cost since I don't have a family or anything. 2500 to 3000 sounds a bit too much though. 3000 a month will mean 36,000 a year after tax. That's a big salary requirement. Perhaps you can look into how you're spending your money and get some advice for some Muslim families nearby.

Did you go to one of the local mosques by the way? Did you meet anyone there?

Advertisement