Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting bedroom

Options
  • 20-07-2006 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for tips to follow for painting a room myself. The walls are currently a blue colour and I want to change to a cream-ish colour

What should be painted first - ceiling or walls?
    Do I need to wash the walls first or sand them down?
    I know I'm supposed to put masking tape around the skirting board and light switches - Do I wait until the room is fully painted before removing the tape?

I've never painted before, so any useful tips are very much welcomed :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

If the current color is strong then you'll need to under coat.

When I was painting a few rooms in my house I used cheap B&Q paint to undercoat the walls. Using rollers it was quick & easy to apply a couple of coats.

Also, if you didn't already know you can get special ceiling paint which helps out with the dripping.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

giggles wrote:
    What should be painted first - ceiling or walls?
    Ceiling, then walls.
    giggles wrote:
    Do I need to wash the walls first or sand them down?
    As it is a bedroom that you are painting I wouldn't imagine that the paintwork is dirty or greasy (as you may find in a kitchen). If the walls/ceiling are dusty - a light run over with a damp cloth would suffice. Then allow to dry.
    giggles wrote:
    Do I wait until the room is fully painted before removing the tape?
    Yes. Why remove the tape beforehand & run the risk of splashes?
    giggles wrote:
    any useful tips are very much welcomed
    Tip: Don't bite your nails after scratching your ar$e. :D

Use a brush to paint a 4 inch "border" around the edges of the ceiling/walls using whatever colour paint you choose. When this is done then use a roller to paint the remainder of the ceiling/walls. This lessens the risk of the roller transferring the wall paint on the ceiling or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭giggles

1. Wash walls, wait to dry
    2. Paint ceiling (Border first then rest of it)
    3. Tape around the skirting board and light switches
    4. Paint undercoat (bloody walls are a fairly dark blue colour) - wait to fully dry? if so what kind of time are we looking at here?
    5. Paint border around the walls, then rest of it with my new colour :)

Ok, it sounds like I have a plan of attack now. Thanks for the advice! :D

1. Wipe walls with damp cloth - not a wet one. Allow to dry.
    2. Tape the necessary areas - skirting, switches, sockets, rads, window sills, etc.
    3. Ceiling - Brush for the 4 inch border around edges & around the light fitting. Roller for the rest.
    4. Walls (Undercoat) - Brush for the 4 inch border around edges & around taped items. Roller for the rest.
    5. Allow to dry. (Drying times should be on the undercoat tin.)
    6. Repeat Step 4 if dark colour still very noticable.
    7. Walls (New Colour) - Brush for the 4 inch border around edges & around taped items. Roller for the rest.
    8. Allow to dry. (Drying times should be on the paint tin.)
    9. Repeat Step 7 if necessary.
    10. Remove tape.
    11. Admire handiwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭giggles

That's very helpful - thanks! :)

• Advertisement

giggles wrote:
    That's very helpful - thanks! :)

Tis a pleasure. Best of luck!

/+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

The Most difficult part will be painting the line between the ceiling and the wall.
    get a chair or small ladder. your head should hit the ceiling when painting theis line, well you should be able to see the top of the brush. I use 3" brush because you can make longer straight lines and less time dipping the brush but you may like to practice first. draw a few horizontal line with a pencil on the wall you are going to paint. use these lines to see if you can actually get it straight and will get you confidence up. with the recent heat paint dries very fast so id recommend you start early int the morn or late in the evening. It wont make a big difference but itll give you time to nitice any bubbles of paint.

if you are feeling really good i like to tur the power off in the house and actually remove the socket screws. in any new house the will pull out easily. Why do this you ask, well i hate the brush marks that end up around the switches and sockets. with them hanging off you can use the roller to paint around them and get a better finish. if you are filling sand well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Use a stanley knife CAREFULLY around the edges of your masking tape when you're taking it off afterwards - there's nothing worse than seeing a lump of your newly painted wall going off with the masking tape. I learned the hard way.

Advertisement