Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I believe this?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Niall_Stevenson

jbkenn wrote:
    They were awarded 3 under the second phase
    Beara Tourism & Development Ltd, Eircom ADSL
    Ballinamore Broadband Group, Eircom ADSL
    Fethard & Killusty Community Council, Eircom ADSL

jbkenn

Wait a minute!

Why did Eircom get GBS funding to DSL-enable three of their exchanges?

That's weird!

Niall

jwt wrote:
    I think there is some data and information that requires clearing up from DCMNR about the GBS.

Anybody feel like putting together a letter to the DCMNR asking a list of questions on points that require clearing up e.g.

How many GBS schemes have received full funding

How many GBS schemes have received no funding at all

etc etc

John

Hi JWT,

Yes - I feel like putting such a letter together - and have done so!
    So has the Oireachtas Joint Committe in their recent report.
    Minister Dempsey was also brought up in front of said committee recently and asked the same questions.
    IBEC and other groups have been asking the same questions.

All are met with the same blank response.

Citizens, Senators, MEPs, opposition TDs, ministers, journalists and lobby groups are asking those questions. Draw your own conclusion as to why there are no answers.

I think that we need to go down the FOI route for this one. I am volunteering to bung in such a request. Anyone else on this forum is free to do likewise. As far as I know, this will cost you EUR 10. It might be no harm if the DCMNR received a dozen or so FOI enquiries about the GBS.

Any other takers?

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

I think a letter first, before slapping heads with an FOI.

Wouldn't stuff like this be in the public domain, maybe buried in a comptroller report or something?

John

EDIT I think if the DCMNR want to stonewall this an FOI won't go far either. We have seen what Comreg do when they don't want to pass information out.

Everything becomes commercially sensitive. Even the number of biscuits offered at a meeting because if more biscuits were offered to company A than company B then it could be construed as company A being looked on favourably and hence affect their shares etc.

jwt wrote:
    I think a letter first, before slapping heads with an FOI.

Wouldn't stuff like this be in the public domain, maybe buried in a comptroller report or something?

John

EDIT I think if the DCMNR want to stonewall this an FOI won't go far either. We have seen what Comreg do when they don't want to pass information out.

John,

I've sent in the letter, many times and via different routes - directly and indirectly and through "channels". Zilch. I don't think that the Comptroller & Auditor general has the info either - but I have writen to him and have asked that his office looks into this. I am awaiting a reply. I have also asked the PAC (Public Accounts Committee) about it - still awaiting a reply. I will post back any info that I get onto this forum, as soon as I get it.

Regarding the FOI route - I don't think that we should try and second guess the outcome and declare defeat at the start. Let's meet the guy halfway - let's send in a request! The worst that can happen is that they will say "no" - but will also have to explain why.

The FOI information (requests, etc) is listed at the bottom of the DCMNR website. Have a look - most of the requests are actually granted.

If you *do* send in a request, can I suggest that you be crystal clear in what you are asking. Remember the "Bertie Ahearn" syndrome - refusing to volunteer information becasue he was not asked the "right" question! For example, don't ask for percentages or other "statistics" - these can be misleading and can be used to hide embarassing facts - ask for hard figures, like monies drawn down, the number of subscribers connected, etc. Remember, there are three types of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics.

Niall

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I've sent in the letter, many times and via different routes - directly and indirectly and through "channels". Zilch.

Note that ericom have had exfchanges enabled in GBS1 as well. One in Cork, Oughterard in Galway and Dungloe in Donegal. The 'Beara' group referred to in teh GBS2 list is the Castletownbere exchange in Cork.

Simply ask

1. What funds did eirocm apply for under GBS 1 and GBS2 for their (minimum 6 exchanges) per exchange.

2. What funds have been disbursed in respect of each of these exchanges to date.

You will find its 100%.

You will find that the 'coverage' is the population of the DED in which the exchange is located not the number of serviceable persons within 5km of the exchange or was that 4.5km in them days.

You will find that line failures are counted as 'coverage'

Also ask for all correspondance on each application and after application and a copy of the application forms if you FoI :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Xian

May 4: CPCN official network launch.
    May 17: 100% grant application submitted.
    June 28: Full financial audit complete.
    July 20: Confirmation of grant approval for full amount.
    July 27: Cheque arrives.

No on-site visit or technical audit yet - one is expected any time in the next 12 months, as per the conditions of the grant. All in all, no more or less delay than the project approval process. But don't let facts have any bearing on a good conspiracy. :)

Xian wrote:
    May 4: CPCN official network launch.
    May 17: 100% grant application submitted.
    June 28: Full financial audit complete.
    July 20: Confirmation of grant approval for full amount.
    July 27: Cheque arrives.

No on-site visit or technical audit yet - one is expected any time in the next 12 months, as per the conditions of the grant. All in all, no more or less delay than the project approval process. But don't let facts have any bearing on a good conspiracy. :)
    Hi Xian,

Thanks for the info - it's substantially more than I have ever received from anyone in the DCMNR over the last 9 months or so.

And for your one data point, I can equally show you one that says the opposite. But don't let my facts ruin your own conspiracy theory. :):):)

Hey, why don't we just extrapolate from your 1 data point to the other 118 projects and declare victory right now? We may have discard any other facts that disagree with your hypothesis, for the sake of simplicity.

Again, the only thing that will answer this is answers - from the DCMNR.

Niall

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Congrats on the grant, Xian. In a sense, it's the most tangible form of recognition to date of the hard work you've put in - on so many levels - to the cause of rural broadband.

Advertisement