Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSO Figures: How many towns above 1000 ppl cannot get broadband?

Options
  • 20-07-2006 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

A work colleague of mine is from Cloyne where the population is above 3000 now and the town still cannot get broadband. How many more towns are like this now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I live in a town called Hospital in Co. Limerick and according to the 2006 cso census the town has a population of 1206 and that would be like 7000 within a 5km radius

and of course the only choice of broadband is satellite
    eircom really to get of their asses and do some market research

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭leoc

I give up - ask an easier question. :( Here's a braindump of what I have so far.

According to Eircom on 4 April last, DSL has now been brought to every town over 1,500. For all I know this may actually be true, at least depending on how you define a town. In section 1 of the 2002 census there are three different things called Cloyne, two of which are under 1,000 population. In the preliminary report on the 2006 census, there's one thing called Cloyne, District Electoral Division 252. It has over 3000 people, but it's not a Town. Appendix II of section 1 of the 2002 census helps to explain why there are two different Cloynes in that - but since there are actually three, I don't know...

Scant surprise, Eircom don't make it easy to find out how they, ah, defined their towns. (It might help if someone still has a copy of the attachments that came with "eircom launches broadband trigger programme" on 10 February 2004.) My outright guess is that they used Table 7 of Section 1 of the 2002 Census to find their towns over 1,500; that table lists only towns in that range.

But that's possibly the easy bit. How do Eircom exchanges relate (or not relate) to towns or electoral divisions or anything else defined by the CSO or OSI? I've tried both Eircom's and Comreg's websites for some guide to this, with no success yet. I assume that the companies involved in FRIACO must know the catchment areas of the Eircom exchanges, or at least the locations of the exchanges themselves?

I'll give this some more time when I have time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

leoc wrote:
    I give up - ask an easier question. :( Here's a braindump of what I have so far.

According to Eircom on 4 April last, DSL has now been brought to every town over 1,500. For all I know this may actually be true, at least depending on how you define a town.
    it is true subject to your caveat . A DED with an exchange in it is a more accurate description :D
    I think there were 2 Carrigalines ( a C place in Cork) each under 1500 but both served by one exchange, The dopes never added them together. It was done later though and not through GBS .
    Scant surprise, Eircom don't make it easy to find out how they, ah, defined their towns. (It might help if someone still has a copy of the attachments that came with "eircom launches broadband trigger programme" on 10 February 2004.) My outright guess is that they used Table 7 of Section 1 of the 2002 Census to find their towns over 1,500; that table lists only towns in that range.
    It was noted at the time. Thats the list all right .
    But that's possibly the easy bit. How do Eircom exchanges relate (or not relate) to towns or electoral divisions or anything else defined by the CSO or OSI? I've tried both Eircom's and Comreg's websites for some guide to this, with no success yet.
    you are not entitled to the information. Eircom never bothered noting the number of DEDs served by exchange x and adding them together to estimate their 1500 trigger. Also note that eircom have done very small exchanges where they had a fibre backhaul in situ. This accounts for a ring of exchanges west of Galway and a ring around west donegal where the served pop was under 1500.
    I assume that the companies involved in FRIACO must know the catchment areas of the Eircom exchanges, or at least the locations of the exchanges themselves?
    In the past year eircom have presented an accurate version of a document like this to the government (cabinet) , not their telco peers though . They show pops served by exchanges rather than lines extending from exchanges.

They also estimate those within 5km and over 5km out.

Its not in the public domain of course, unless you know a cabinet minister. AS for Comreg, they never releaase any information that makes the oversight of their venality any easier.

Advertisement