Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Vehicle ??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

The RR is manufactured in Solihull UK enough said me thinks !!
    Nissan and Honda both build cars in the UK as well, don't often hear of reliabilty issues with any of their cars do you? Or are you just implying it's folk from the Midlands who can't build cars rather than the English in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

R.O.R wrote:
    Nissan and Honda both build cars in the UK as well, don't often hear of reliabilty issues with any of their cars do you? Or are you just implying it's folk from the Midlands who can't build cars rather than the English in general?

I woundered how long it would take for the above to be quoted ! The only reason any manufacturer outside the EU chose the UK was purely because of the not too long lifted import restrictions imposed by the UK to protect its back .The only reason they still remain is Gov support and allowances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Based on local dealerships service (from what I've heard from my own customers):

VW - service bad
    Merc - same dealer as VW. A story goes that a guy broke down in the middle of race week 2 years ago; the local dealer who sold the brand new car a couple of weeks earlier wouldn't respond. Moores sent a mechanic in a van down from Athlone and got it sorted.

RR - Excellent reputation. Their workshop manager has just won the Jaguar Worldwide Mechanic Competition in the UK, and, IIRC, their 4x4 guy has won a few of the Landrover competitions. Customer service is top notch (I speak from experience; we've bought 3 cars there ourselves over the years, and they do all of our work that doesn't require diagnostics. Several of my friends have bought there as a result, and enjoy the same quality of service).

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd go with the BMW, I can't see the Range Rover Sport enjoying the same kudos as it's big brother, also with the new Freelander doing a "Mini-Me" I don't see the appeal.

(it should be noted that I haven't driven the RR Sport)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

I vote for the 5 series. I grew up on a farm and I just associate the Range Rover type things with with cows and horses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Ice_Box wrote:
    I vote for the 5 series. I grew up on a farm and I just associate the Range Rover type things with with cows and horses.

That's old Range Rovers, the new Sport is rather more Victoria Beckham.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Anan1 wrote:
    That's old Range Rovers, the new Sport is rather more Victoria Beckham.;)

Shame too. The original RR was a lovely machine that looked like it was able to do a days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Test drove a 530d and 520d today, both m-sport, auto,2006 - Both lovely cars but I think I would be quite happy with the 520d - save yourself 10-15k.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,408 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

TheBazman wrote:
    Test drove a 530d and 520d today, both m-sport, auto,2006 - Both lovely cars but I think I would be quite happy with the 520d - save yourself 10-15k.

Yes the 2 liter 520d is by no means underpowered. It is quite fast for a large executive saloon with a 0-100km/h acceleration in 8.6 seconds (same figure for manual and automatic transmission). This is a good bit quicker than the 3 liter Touareg diesel to put things into perspective. Oh and the Range Rover sport has about the same acceleration as a supermini :rolleyes:

The OP stated that performance is not important though

The 520d would use a lot less fuel than any Touareg or Range Rover Sport

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

520d M-sport will be a smasher second hand. I'd go with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Mike2006 wrote:
    Another which car thread so here it goes:

Both New.

1. BMW 520d M-Tec
    2. Range Rover Sport 2.7TD SE

Why?

a. I am fully aware that I could purchase a better/faster second hand car for less money but I choose to buy new because I like to have a new car and I don't mind parting with the money in this way. Besies, if people like me did not buy new cars, they people lke you would not get the great deals that you get on second hand cars later on. Rant Over.

b. I would be open to suggestion of another car/suv of similar price bracket (up to €70,000)

c. Not really looking for high performance. Speed limit is 120km/hr and both of these cars are more than capable of doing this.

Thanks,

Mike.
    Seem like 2 different types of vehicle if you ask me....I could understand a 520d v's a MB E220d or a RR v's X5 ???

Advertisement