Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next door Dog barking in evening & night

Options
  • 20-07-2006 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

I just bought a house in a new estate 3 months ago now which a lot of the houses are still being built.However there are people in the two houses next to me. One of which as a young spannal type dog and the bugger is barkin at night.

Now it's not all the time, however on Monday night I was woken at 3am and last night he didnt stop until 1am (I went outside to shout/throw something at himn but hear the neighbours kid crying so the dog was barking as a result)

These people do not appear to walk the dog, or interact at all with him and his only freedom is the back yard where he has free reign 27/7. He starts to bark the minute the owner drive up to the house (he knows the car)

Where do I stand? is there some trick to stop him, or do I have to go down the reporting route (I would say that he has no lience etc)

My new house is being ruined by noise polution and I fear that if I were to get lodgers it would affect this also.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

I would try discussing the problem with the people concerned first, before reporting it. They may not actually realise the problem it is causing, especially if they're preoccupied with a crying child. I know if it was my dog barking i'd appreciate my neighbours speaking to me about it first before discussing it with other neighbours/reporting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Hi

Check out

www.oasis.gov.ie

The information on how to go about complaining / taking action should be on here.

I am only aware of the regulations regarding Fingal County Council but you need to take note of the times etc and the length of time the barking goes on for and lodge a complaint against these people.

Such a pain in the backside - It happens a lot on my road too but I cannot ascertain which house it is the dog lives in - what I cannot understand is how they can't hear it No.1 and No. 2 why they get a dog and lock it out the back.

At least mine don't bark all night in my bed :D

** spare a thought for the poor animal too - he must be so lonely and frustrated to carry on like this - he is most obviously distressed and I really think that locking a dog out and depriving it of contact and walks is just blatant cruelty to animals. Dogs are social creatures and as such deserve to be included in family life - after all these people chose to get an animal - the least they can do is to look after it. Typical Irish though - Baby arrives dog gets discarded - and this is speaking from experience **

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

nando wrote:
    I would try discussing the problem with the people concerned first, before reporting it. They may not actually realise the problem it is causing, especially if they're preoccupied with a crying child. I know if it was my dog barking i'd appreciate my neighbours speaking to me about it first before discussing it with other neighbours/reporting it.
    Good idea in theory, but if the people are 'rough' and tell you to F-off then when it comes to reporting it they'll no were the complaint came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

LFC Murphy wrote:

Now it's not all the time, however on Monday night I was woken at 3am and last night he didnt stop until 1am (I went outside to shout/throw something at himn but hear the neighbours kid crying so the dog was barking as a result)

These people do not appear to walk the dog, or interact at all with him and his only freedom is the back yard where he has free reign 27/7. He starts to bark the minute the owner drive up to the house (he knows the car)

Thanks.

Hold up a sec. Unless you're home all day everyday, you can't possibly know what interaction goes on or if/when the owner is walking it. Neither do you say (or I missed it) how long this dog has been there and this problem has been going on.

It's totally normal for a dog to bark when someone approaches the house/driveway whether it's his owner or anyone else. I don't think anyone could consider that unreasonable noise or behaviour.

I'm not saying you're wrong, or that his barking at night isn't an annoyance, but some context please before we all go jumping down the "reporting" route.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

LFC Murphy wrote:
    (I went outside to shout/throw something at himn but hear the neighbours kid crying so the dog was barking as a result)

I'd suggest as others have that you speak to the owners first, they may not know as others have said that the dog is causing a problem, if it is a situation which cannot be resolved at that point possibly look into reporting them however I would also like to know why you thought you had the right to throw something at the dog?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

RandomOne wrote:
    Hold up a sec. Unless you're home all day everyday, you can't possibly know what interaction goes on or if/when the owner is walking it.

Exactly, my neighbours could claim that my dogs only get walked on the weekends but that's because they're usually tucked up in bed when i leave the house at 530am on weekdays to take the dogs to the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

I am not gonna get into a debate regarding the levels of interaction they have with the dog, all I know is that at 3pm I get home and there is no sign of life in the house until the mother and child returns home at 5pm at which time the dog starts to bark/whine. The kid plays in the front green while the dog remains in the back............. every evening
    Only when they feed the dog does anyone go out the back (for the 2 mins it takes) and I agree with Suzy's last comment it's cruel.

The dog is there since approx May.

And regarding throwing something. Do you get woken up at 3am or have to try to sleep with a dog whining until 1am. I get up for work at 6am.

For everyone info also I have grown up with dogs, as I grew up on a farm and love dogs. In my world I was taught that a dog is a valuable part of life and should be treated with care and respect. So this is not a grumpy neighbour with a hatred for dogs.............Just a grumpy neighbour.

Anyway is there any cheap device out there that can stop the barking. I seen something in Alantic, however it was €50............

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No, there isn't anything out there to stop a dog from barking other than proper training and being there for the dog.

Ask you neighbours nicely to let the dog in at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

LFC Murphy wrote:
    The dog is there since approx May.

Do you get woken up at 3am or have to try to sleep with a dog whining until 1am. I get up for work at 6am.

You didn't get what I was asking. You've given two instances of the dog's barking. Now we know it's been there since May. Is this the most recent two events of a series, in which case, yes, it's a nuisance, or is this a recent occurrence where this week it's annoying the heck out of you?

It's basically coming to a head this week........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I've a similar problem - a dog in one of the neighbouring houses just keeps on barking at all hours of the night for the past few months non-stop. I'm a light sleeper and it really causes me hassle. I know its one of the houses over the wall that divides us with the council estate on the other side, and have seen evidence that makes me think each of them are 'rough' families so I'm not getting involved with them, but the time has come to get it sorted. Has anyone had any joy with reporting this kind of problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Smiley101

I don't understand how some people can keep a dog cooped up in a back garden of a town house nearly 24/7. No wonder its barking the whole time. Some people are very cruel and selfish and its not fair to the dog or neighbours.
    If I had a dog like this, I would have some more consideration for my neighbours and wouldn't allow such a thing to happen but some people don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Success Guaranteed:
    Solution

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

not at all funny!!! have you read the lastest charter ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Smiley101 wrote:
    If I had a dog like this, I would have some more consideration for my neighbours and wouldn't allow such a thing to happen but some people don't care.

Some people just don't know! Honestly, you'd be surprised!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

Yeah we had a barker next door chained up all day. Luckily the neighbours got rid of him. I think they had enough of his constant barking as well to be honest and it was a bit mean he was only lonely. Their children did learn some choice language from me in those days though!

I did look it up on oasis.gov.ie which gives your legal rights. You need to complain to yout neighbours first and if they don't resolve it within a couple of weeks then you can complain to the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

LFC Murphy wrote:
    And regarding throwing something. Do you get woken up at 3am or have to try to sleep with a dog whining until 1am. I get up for work at 6am.

I have been woken up at all hours by my neighbours dogs cats & babies amoung other things but it still does not give me OR YOU the right to throw stuff at the dog - and if you have grown up with dogs you should know that if you hurt / frighten the dog he or she is more likely to bark & whine out of fear than to keep quiet - just because you can't sleep because your neighbours & the way they are caring for their dog does NOT give you the right to throw something at it - either talk to them or report them but don't use their actions as an excuse to be cruel to a dog especially if as you say you "love" dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Success Guaranteed:
    Solution

banned

I'm not getting into that Tabhitharose. Those comments are unwelcome and outside the context of this thread.

Thanks to the others who have posted.

Closed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

LFC Murphy wrote:
    I'm not getting into that Tabhitharose. Those comments are unwelcome and outside the context of this thread.

Thanks to the others who have posted.

Closed

Perspective is a strange thing isn't it ?

Unfortunatly this is the animals/pet issues board and not the "help LFC Murphy to sleep soundly"-board, so I'd say you just have to accept the validity of these comments as well...like it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

The neighbours keep a large dog in the back garden, which barks and whines, morning, noon and night. What can be done?

There are many legislative provisions, which regulate ownership of dogs and their handling in public places or on private land. One aspect of canine behaviour, which is not directly regulated, however, is excessive barking. In the close confines of housing estates, with young families, incessant barking can cause significant upset, loss of sleep etc. In these circumstances, recourse may be had to a general remedy in respect of excessive noise, as follows.

Section 108 of the Environmental Protection Agency Act 1992, provides:
    Where any noise which is so loud, so continuous, so repeated, of such duration or pitch or occurring at such times as to give reasonable cause for annoyance to a person lawfully using any premises in the neighbourhood or to a person lawfully using any public place, a local authority, the Agency or any such person may complain to the District Court and the Court may order the person or body making, causing or responsible for the noise to take the measures necessary to reduce the noise to a specified level or to take specified measures for the prevention or limitation of the noise and the person concerned shall comply with such order.

Before making a complaint, the complainant must first serve notice on the person responsible for the noise, advising him or her of the intention to complain to the Court (the prescribed form of notice is set out in the Environmental Protection Agency Regulations 1994. Service of a notice is a condition precedent to the making of a complaint and is the first item of which the Court will require proof at the hearing of the complaint. Order 96 rule 8 (3) of the District Court Rules 1997 sets out the procedure for making the complaint.

Under Section 106 of the Act, the local authority, or the Environmental Protection Agency itself, may also complain and, in extreme cases, seek to obtain a warrant for entry to the relevant premises, for the purposes of abating the nuisance.

The Section provides defences to a complaint where the noise is incidental to lawful business and all reasonable efforts have been made to limit the noise, or where the noise is generated under a licence granted under the Act.

In practice, this jurisdiction is exercised pragmatically and the Court will expect both parties to be reasonable. In the case of a noisy dog, it may be the case that the animal is ill, or that its conditions of habitation are unsuitable to its size or demeanour. In extreme cases, therefore, a complaint in these circumstances may lead to the destruction of the animal.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Egar...........

Man isn't destruction is such a terrible word to use. Anyway off on hols for 3 weeks, recharge the batteries and deal with it in person when I get back.

Advertisement