Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census 2006 * Preliminary Report [Press Release]

Options
  • 20-07-2006 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

Highest population since 1861
    The population of the State increased by 318,000 persons between 2002 and 2006 to reach the highest recorded census level since 1861, according to
    Census 2006 * Preliminary Report published today. The preliminary total for the population enumerated on census night 23 April 2006 was 4,234,925 persons, compared with 3,917,203 in April 2002, representing an increase of 8.1 per cent in four years or 2 per cent per annum.

Migration the dominant factor
    On average there were 46,000 more immigrants than emigrants annually over the 2002-2006 period compared with an
    annual excess of births over deaths of 33,000. The corresponding figures for the 1996-2002 period were 26,000 and 23,000, respectively.

Largest population growth in EU
    Looked at from a ten-year perspective, Ireland's population increased at an annual average rate of 1.6 per cent between
    1996 and 2006 * the largest population growth rate in the EU. Cyprus (+1.5%) and Luxembourg (+1.2%) were the only
    other countries to record population growth rates in excess of 1 per cent over this period.

Populations of Fingal and Meath increased by over a fifth
    The populations of Fingal (+43,400) and Meath (+28,616) both increased by over a fifth between 2002 and 2006. Along
    with Kildare (+22,131), these three counties together accounted for 30 per cent of the national increase in population.
    Other Leinster counties which showed large increases were Laoighis (+14%), Wexford (+12.9%), Offaly (+10.9%),
    Westmeath (10.5%) and Wicklow (10.2%).

Apart from Fingal, there was a relatively modest increase of just 20,000 in the rest of Dublin and, as a result, the overall
    population grew by just 5.6 per cent * considerably less than the 8.1 per cent increase for the State as a whole.

The population of Leitrim grew by almost 12 per cent between 2002 and 2006. This followed a modest increase of 3 per
    cent between 1996 and 2002, which in itself was remarkable in that it occurred after continuous declines in population over the previous century and a half.

Cork City and Limerick City were the only two of the thirty-four administrative counties in the State to register a fall in population during the 2002-2006 period.

Natural increase positive in all counties
    All counties experienced positive natural increase in the intercensal period 2002-2006 with the rates highest in the counties with the youngest age profiles (Fingal, Dublin South, Kildare and Meath) and lowest in counties with the oldest age profiles (Leitrim, Roscommon and Mayo).
    Only six of the thirty-four administrative counties experienced net outward migration between 2002 and 2006. These were
    the cities of Limerick, Cork, Waterford and Dublin along with Dublin South and Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown. This was due to a combination of factors including adult children leaving the family home, urban renewal schemes and regeneration projects involving the demolition of older housing.
    Blanchardstown-Blakestown the fastest growing small area
    At Electoral Division (ED) level, Blanchardstown-Blakestown in Fingal recorded the highest increase in intercensal population * up 7,901 to 32,305 in April 2006. Other EDs with a population increase in excess of 5,000 during 2002-2006 were Navan Rural (+5,176) in Meath and Balbriggan Rural (+5,150) in Fingal.

http://www.cso.ie/census/2006_preliminaryreport.htm

Thought this was worth a thread of its own

So like what happening in Leitrim?

8% increase in 4 years? Yay cheap labour

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

There are a number of issues I have with this preliminary census. I think ppl need to remember that the definitive figures won't be until next year. Now I know in terms of numbers overall the prelim and final figures won't be too different, but remember that we will have to wait for between April and Sept. 2007 (according to CSO) website before we get more info e.g. nationality, religion, broadband access, incomes etc. As such, the parts on the % being no-nationals are largely speculative. Having read the prelim results, the immigration figure seemingly is being calculated as the increase in the population minus natural increase.

OK. But does that tell us the extent to which the immigration is either Irish people returning home, or Irish citizens by descent coming here? Another problem in determining (at this stage) the % that are non-national is the non-Irish citizenship of many of the children of non-nationals since the Citizenship referendum. For this reason I will reserve acceptance of the 9.5-10% estimate until next year's more comprehensive figures. In fact, I wonder why we couldn't just have had everything at once, at least on a prelim basis?

I would also like to know why 275,000 households didn't open the door to receive the Census form? The CSO seems to believe they were vacant, but given recent events, you'd have to wonder wouldn't you? You know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ND you mentioned the negative effect of the Irish Lobby in America on the other thread, do you reckon we'll go the way of the Red Indians?

ND you mentioned the negative effect of the Irish Lobby in America on the other thread, do you reckon we'll go the way of the Red Indians?

LOL I detect a sarcastic streak to that comment! I hope we don't though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

I would also like to know why 275,000 households didn't open the door to receive the Census form? The CSO seems to believe they were vacant, but given recent events, you'd have to wonder wouldn't you? You know what I mean.
    Presumably there are ways of validating that the overall numbers are generally consistent - for example, if there was a significant number of schoolgoing children in excess of the numbers recorded in the census, or more people in employment than could reasonably be accounted for, or (even if they are invisible to the tax system) higher commuting traffic that would be explained by the recorded population.

If a significant number of those 275,000 households are occupied, they should show up somewhere else. And a fair amount of second homes have been built and acquired in recent years.

Other Leinster counties which showed large increases were Laoighis (+14%), Wexford (+12.9%), Offaly (+10.9%),
    Westmeath (10.5%) and Wicklow (10.2%).
    Delving a little deeper,I notice Goreys rural population has increased by a whopping 55% whilst the ardamine area near courtown is up by over 90%.
    Arklow urban in co wicklow is up 17% to just shy of 12,000

Athy urban in co kildare is up 31% to almost 8000

This is showing the move in population to the outer commuter extremities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Those bloody foreigners are taking over our country!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

(sorry, though I would get that in there first :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Earthman wrote:
    Delving a little deeper,I notice Goreys rural population has increased by a whopping 55% whilst the ardamine area near courtown is up by over 90%.
    Arklow urban in co wicklow is up 17% to just shy of 12,000

Athy urban in co kildare is up 31% to almost 8000

This is showing the move in population to the outer commuter extremities.

Speaking of which, notice how populations have stagnated or even declined in the core major cities with movements to the outer suburbs, commuter towns.

Map of Dublin on csi website shows decreases everywhere in the core city bar the inner city (probably all those docklands appts bringing people in) yet the likes of Fingal council area shoots up in population!

Cities will be left with ageing populations due to the flight of the young who can't afford to live in their own area.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You mean war in Lebanon is affecting the Irish Census?

Please explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

Victor wrote:

Please explain.
    Probably shocked senseless by the Zidane Materazzi thing,

Victor wrote:

Please explain.

LOL Cheeky.

I mean illegal immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

LOL Cheeky.

I mean illegal immigration.

Bull**** of the highest order.
    I am one of the people who did not open my door.
    Unless someone phones me in advance and has an appointment to meet me- they can batter down my door for all I care- I AM NOT OPENING MY DOOR.......
    I am constantly being harassed by Jehovah's Witnesses, Tinkers, People trying to sell me crap, people who have forgotten their keys and want the gates opened (its a closed apartment complex), utility people, kids who think its a laugh to ring door bells etc.

I have disconnected my doorbell and will not answer a knock on the door unless its prearranged in advance and confirmed 15 minutes beforehand.

I do not know who my neighbours are, nor do they know me. The average neighbour lasts about 6 months (there are 23 houses in the complex only 5 of which are owner occuppied- I do know the other owner occuppiers and am friendly with them).

As a member of the Management Company I got a call from the Gardai wondering why the Census enumerator was not able 1) to gain access to the complex (easily solved- I lent her a key fob) and 2) Why no-one was at home- also easily solved- I showed her from an upper floor window that all the houses she had said were empty were not.

Running off a brief note advising that she would be there the following evening between 8PM and 9PM resulted in 22 of the 23 houses answering their door (the other house was vacant).

Its the modern world. I'm damned if I am answering someone at my door unless I know with 100% certainty who they are- and even then they can bloody well make an appointment like everyone else.

Its the modern world. I'm damned if I am answering someone at my door unless I know with 100% certainty who they are- and even then they can bloody well make an appointment like everyone else.

How vexatious of you to be so resistant to something essential for planning for schools, hospitals etc. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

How vexatious of you to be so resistant to something essential for planning for schools, hospitals etc. :rolleyes:

I am not delibertly vexatious. I live on Main Street Lucan village. Before I disconnected my doorbell it would ring between 15 and 20 times some evenings. Last weekend at 3AM on Saturday morning- the friend of a previous person who owned the house decided to try to knock down the door and refused to accept that his friend no longer lived there. He only left after I called the Gardai. I am not being vexatious- I have to live there. Not answering my door is a survival mechanism. I am not resistant to anything useful- and resent your accusation. I personally organised that 22 out of the 23 cencus forms in our complex were filled and collected. I brought the enumerator into my house and printed little notes to organise that everyone would meet with her. I resent your accusation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

Take a 1 week holiday for directing your comment at the poster instead of the post.

Advertisement