Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roaming Peacocks

Options
  • 20-07-2006 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A strange request, but hope someone can help!

I am having some issues with some peacocks coming into my garden - 3 or 4 normally. Now, I live in a development of houses with about 20 in my row! Behind our houses is a laneway with 2 houses down the lane. One of these guys owns the Peacocks!

My problem is, they are pretty big animals and I have two small children (under 2)! Together they can be quite intimidating in their own right and my wife wont even go near the garden when they are there. They also eat any shrubs/flowers that we have!

Is there anyone that I can report these to so that we can try and get some control over them and stop them "garden hopping" into our gardens. I know some of the other neighbours feel the same...

Thanks in advance,

Voodoo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

all depends if they are owned by someone in particular you can obviously talk to them first, if not and they are wild... wild peacocks in ireland... the dspca would prolly be your best bet!!

where do you live if ya dont mind me asking, cuz like peacocks????

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

Yeah, dont get me wrong! They are beautiful, but intimidating to small kids none the less! They are owned by someone but he is not approachable...

I live in Laois and in a biggish estate! Behind our houses there are two houses and one of the owners breeds them! I dont mind that, but he needs to keep them under control!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

oh completely should be kept under control and do give a nasty bite/peck

well if he is unapproachable i would write him a very nice letter just sayin that they are wandering into your garden and ask if there is anything he can do to keep them in, failing that ring your local garda station and just ask them to have a kind word in his ear..... always so much more difficult if the owners are muppets!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

My grandfather lost the tip of his finger to a peacock.
    Tis a story that has passed through my entire familly lol

Apparently about 30 years ago, he was walking his dog toby, a small jrt with bad temper and they came across one, it chased toby and my grandfather made the mistake of trying to save his jrt! LOL :eek:

:)
    b

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

if he's breeding them it sounds like he needs reporting to someone.
    ISPCB maybe?
    It is careless. Another neighbour may not be as gentle as you in dealing with the peacocks -- so they are possibly in danger.

I mean who'd want a load of chickens or ducks wandering through their garden?

As for keeping them away, I have no experience in this but would try hangin some tinfoil on trees etc to frighten them. But being such a brave bird it mightn't work --- couldn't hurt to try.

• Advertisement
Advertisement