Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consoles wasting large amounts of energy in standby

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

My DVD player has LEDs still working away when I have it turned off. Same for my Sky box and microwave, and cooker.
    Oddly enough, a Sky digibox in standby is pointless, as it continues to use the same amount of electricity as it would in operational mode. THe only thing that gets turned off is the video module.

As for the likes of PS2/XBOX, I don't see why they need a standby option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

[nintendofanboyism]Gamecube doesn't have a standby mode :D[/nintendofanboyism]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Balfa wrote:
    Yeah, I hated that too, when I had my PC in my bedroom. I just stuck stickers or bluetak over the LEDs though :D

lol, same here, good ol bluetak.

I've still got my money on cold fusion to save the day :D

Its like trying to make your computer silent, you moan about one noise until its gone, then as soon as you do you realise theres another noise behind it... and another, on and on. If you stop the standby mode in consoles, they will then stop the standby mode in TVs, soon you'll find they are hardwiring your computer to shut down after 5 minutes of inactivity, next we'll all be living in tree huts singing coombyah and burning sage. We shouldn't be concerned with how much energy is being used but methods for improving energy efficiency and production. Pull all the money from warfare research and put it into energy research and i'd say we'll have our own mini suns powering the planet in a decade.

Advertisement