Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Excel

Options
  • 20-07-2006 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hey i'm using Microsoft excel 2003 and i don't have a lot of experience with it. i was wondering is the anyway to let watever is changed in a cell on one sheet be changed across all sheets.

Basically wat i want to do is have a cell to input the update date and person updating excell sheet. It has multiple sheets in it and i don't want to change this for every sheet. I hope ye can understand wat i'm on about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

rather than enter a value on each sheet you can enter that one cell is equal to another.
    for example.

in cell a1 enter the date
    then in cell a2 enter the value =a1
    then when you update a1, a2 will aswell.

is that what your after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

so you have cells with a date and a persons name on the front sheet and cells for the same information on every other sheet? why not set the cells on the other sheets to the cells on the first i.e. =sheet1!A1 or whatever the cells are called on the first sheeet. So if you update the cell on the first sheet it automatically updates the cells on the other sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

See my problem is that i have a .xls file. within that i have 6 sheets. So each of these have an a1 cell. how can i let these equal?

try this formula

=[bookname]sheetname!$A$1

Alright cheers that work perfect. Like i said i haven't a lot of experience with excel. Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Any problems just click the cell you want to have whatever value and type = in it. Then click whatever cell you want it to be equal too.

damnyanks wrote:
    Any problems just click the cell you want to have whatever value and type = in it. Then click whatever cell you want it to be equal too.

Hey again i just realised what i did with the excel sheet ain't working the way i want it. So i write in the date into sheet1!a1 and i let sheet2!a1 = this. so if i change text in sheet1!a1 it will also change in sheet2!a1. The problem is i also want it to be the case that if i change sheet2!a1 this will change sheet1!a1. But if i try changing sheet2!a1 i end up changing that cell alone. Any help?

you cant have a cyclical formula like that in excel

so is there no way of doing it so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

A simple way is to place the cursor in cell A1 on Sheet1.

Then hold down the Ctrl key and click the Sheet2 tab at the bottom of the screen, click the Sheet3 tab at the bottom of the screen, click the Sheet4 tab, click the Sheet5 tab , click the Sheet6 tab.

Type the number in cell A1 of Sheet1 and press enter. The number will appear in all of the A1 cells on Sheet1, Sheet1, Sheet3, Sheet4, Sheet5, Sheet6.

For more speed click the Sheet1 tab, hold down the SHIFT ket and click Sheet6. All the sheets from Sheet1 to Sheet 6 will be selected.

CAUTION - be sure to cancel the selection of all sheets together by clicking one sheet tab when you are finished. If you don't, you will find that everything you do when all the sheets are selected together, will go into every one of those sheets.

This should allow you update all sheets at the same time. If you want to leave out one sheet then don't select that sheet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement