Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common FPS and Video Settings

Options
  • 20-07-2006 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all.

Can u guys please post what is considered to be "normal" in terms of FPS?

Also, can u please post which video settings are u using atm? I really need some tips regarding which settings i should max out and which ones i should keep low/half...

Im running a 2,16Ghz Dual-Core with 1GB RAM and an ATI X1600 (256mb+256mb) with the latest Omega Drivers (cat 6.5).

Thank u very very in advance much for your help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭WTF_L2P_n00b

I have an X4400+ Dual Core, 2GB Ram, 7800GTX 256MB and I run never below 60FPS with everything on maximum.

The Lag still gets me tho :p

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭rgfuller

How do you get/see your fps ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I think CTRL+R shows the FPS, I could be corrected though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Titan panel mod will show you your FPS, ping and Memory usage in real time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Sueisfine

So I decided to run a FPS test on my laptop last night. Beeing kind of a noob in this technical-graphic stuff, i was wondering if any of u can tell me if my results are good or bad:

Laptop specs:
    - 2,16Ghz Centrino Duo
    - 1GB RAM (DDR2)
    - ATI X1600 (256mb+256mb Hypermemory)
    - latest Omega Drivers based on Cat 6.5 (with default settings)

WoW video settings:
    - Terrain Distance: half the way
    - Multisample: 24-24-1x
    - Anisotropic filtering: 2x
    - all other settings maxed out

Results:
    First I tried running around in Ironforge near the auction house area because there's allways lots of players around dueling and stuff :) I got a constant 60-62 FPS result.

Then I got out and ran through the woods of Dun Morogh with lots of trees, landscapes and beasts to keep the graphics card busy and I got 50-56 FPS and sometimes even 60.

Then I went questing to Theramore Isle and I got 46-50 FPS when running around the swamps and 50-54 FPS when fighting with my bro against some huge turtles outside water. Inside water I got 60 FPS.

Latency was always something between 110-230ms during these tests.

Notes:
    I noticed that I had to keep Vertical Sync on in WoW video settings or else I'd see some tearing. I guess this happens because 60Hz is the max refresh rate my laptop handles.

I also noticed that multisampling is definitely the most FPS-killer setting. Simply turning it one notch up to 24-24-2x cuts my FPS rate down in around 20 FPS!

Terrain distance doesn't make a huge diference but if I set it to max i get an average 10 FPS cut. Anisotropic filtering is similar, setting it to max (16x) cuts around 10 FPS (but I found out that the graphic quality difference isn't really drastic).

Sorry for the long post but can any of u experienced players comment on this results? Are they ok? not ok? good? average? bad? :)

Thanks a lot in advance!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

so long as your frame rate stays solidly over 30, anything over 40-50 is just gravy. (not speaking from WoW experience though)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

feckin IF is always slow for me...then again i'm running on 512 ram... but i thought the lag wasnt a ram issue?

IF Lag is a Ram issue, and it's not real lag it's memory induced system issues that look like lag.

For me in IF at peak times - 512MB was dreadful, 1GB soso, 2GB never a problem.

Advertisement