Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water tank & pipework in attic

Options
  • 20-07-2006 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Just moved into a new house last weekend. I was in the attic for a look and noticed that the water tank is neither covered nor insulated. Most of the pipes up there are not insulated either.

I presume this should not be the case and that all of the pipework should be insulated? I also reckon the tank needs covering and insulating?

What should I use to cover and insulate the tank?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't know what the regs are in relation to insulating attic pipes but I moved into a 40 year old house last year and one of the first things I did was replace the old galvanised tank and insulate it and the pipework. I got a cover for the tank to stop dust from settling in the water. Woodies do a tank insulating pack and you can buy pipe insulation that simply wraps onto the pipe.

Be sure that the standard attic insulation is not under the water tank.

EDIT: BTW, I moved into a new house 6 years ago and the tank was both covered and insulated - so maybe the builder should have done this for you - worth checking into before you spend time and money at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

The house is second hand not new so I've no builders to chase. There is no insulation under the tank but it is open and uninsulated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

get it covered, I found a dead bat floating in my tank last week, it had rotted to the bone in some spots, only checked cause it smelled bad while showering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Insulate the tank and pipes before the winter. Don't insulate under the tank - you need to allow some heat to escape and keep the water from freezing.

8" of fibreglass on the floor of the attic

Advertisement