Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple's replacement policy flouting the law?

Options
  • 20-07-2006 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a macbook just under a month ago and within a few days it developed a fault where it was overheating and shutting off, which has escalated, it's now shutting off about twice an hour which is extremely frustrating.

I've done all the troubleshooting with Apple and they said it's a faulty logic board. They wanted to repair the macbook but I said i'd prefer a replacement because I really rely on this machine. They told me to contact the shop I bought it off.

So I rang the o2 experience, and they say I can't have a replacement or refund after 14 days from purchase, because this is Apple's policy.

Surely this is against the law? The laptop is a month old and it's pretty much a paperweight, therefore is not of merchantable quality, and they won't give me a replacement or a refund?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

eth0_ wrote:
    I bought a macbook just under a month ago and within a few days it developed a fault where it was overheating and shutting off, which has escalated, it's now shutting off about twice an hour which is extremely frustrating.

I've done all the troubleshooting with Apple and they said it's a faulty logic board. They wanted to repair the macbook but I said i'd prefer a replacement because I really rely on this machine. They told me to contact the shop I bought it off.

So I rang the o2 experience, and they say I can't have a replacement or refund after 14 days from purchase, because this is Apple's policy.

Surely this is against the law? The laptop is a month old and it's pretty much a paperweight, therefore is not of merchantable quality, and they won't give me a replacement or a refund?

You are entitled to a repair,refund or replacment... but its apples choice which to give...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

jhegarty wrote:
    You are entitled to a repair,refund or replacment... but its apples choice which to give...
    Although if they are replacing a logic board, you are getting pretty much a new unit anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Consumer Law states that they can decline to offer a refund once a reasonable time has elapsed. With Apple its obviously 14 days, which is a little harsh, but its at their discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Nightwish wrote:
    Consumer Law states that they can decline to offer a refund once a reasonable time has elapsed. With Apple its obviously 14 days, which is a little harsh, but its at their discretion.
    he means about the o2 store. its apple's policy that the store has pretty much nothing to do with refunds etc once the 14 days has elapsed. i used to have to deal with that policy. its not very popular

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

This has happened to me with another store and a Toshiba laptop. Take the laptop back to the shop, plonk it on a desk and tell them it's broken. They have to take responsibility for it. They can't say contact Apple, they can't say they don't have the resources or the technicians to repair it. They have to take it from you and either replace it, repair it or give you a refund. If they offer to send it to Apple, then go with it. It's probably going to be a lot easier than you waiting around for Apple to pick it up and then return it to you.

However, at what point did you contact Apple about the problem? If it was within the 14 days then you might have a case for getting a replacement from the shop. But then again, the contract is with you and the O2 Experience, so they might not accept when you registered the fault because Apple has nothing to do with your contract with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Apple laptops are imho completely insane when it comes to repairs.
    Yes they are beautiful machines, and when working they do what they do very well, but if anything goes wrong, your fooked.
    My other half, has one, screen only comes on once in about every 12 boot-ups but the unit itself is working perfectly.
    Got a quote for a repair from apple, the repair came to more than the machine itself is worth (and this is a relatively new machine obsessively well treated).

If they want to go mass-market as they seem to want to, they had better get their customer service & repair, act together quickly or they will lose their existing customers.

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

@Buceph
    Once it's outside the replacement period or whatever the shops just go through Apple themselves. What I mean is, they use the same procedure as you would with Apple yourself generally.. so save yourself a few days and send it off to Apple direct or go somewhere like www.mactivate.ie - yes, the store is obliged to look after it for you, but there's no reason to use them "just because" when you can solve it faster yourself.

ciaranfo wrote:
    @Buceph
    Once it's outside the replacement period or whatever the shops just go through Apple themselves. What I mean is, they use the same procedure as you would with Apple yourself generally.. so save yourself a few days and send it off to Apple direct or go somewhere like www.mactivate.ie - yes, the store is obliged to look after it for you, but there's no reason to use them "just because" when you can solve it faster yourself.

SHENANIGANS!

I didn't say do it, "just because" you're putting words into my mouth. There are two reasons why you should do it with the shop. First of all, the contract is with them. If there are recurring problems then you need to build up a case history with the shop, not the manufacturer. As the seriousness mounts, so does the necessity to follow the standard practices as set out by consumer law.

Secondly, and probably more important in this case, it can make things a lot easier. Instead of having to take a day off and wait around for Apple to deliver the return box, then pack it, then send it back, then take another day off, and wait around for it to be delivered back, you can drop it in the shop and pick it up when it's fixed. And this is often a lot easier for people. And they are well within their rights to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Buceph wrote:
    Instead of having to take a day off and wait around for Apple to deliver the return box, then pack it, then send it back, then take another day off, and wait around for it to be delivered back, you can drop it in the shop and pick it up when it's fixed. And this is often a lot easier for people. And they are well within their rights to do.

Actually, Apple don't even do this!
    Yes you heard right! If you have a faulty macbook, *YOU* must bring it to the repair company *YOURSELF!*

Luckily I live and work in the city centre and could bring it to Image Supply Solutions off Camden St (heard bad things about Mactivate, if they're the guys based in Blanch?).

It's an absolute joke. If this macbook isn't perfect when I get it back, they have two options: a refund or the small claims court, tbh!

eth0_ wrote:
    Actually, Apple don't even do this!
    Yes you heard right! If you have a faulty macbook, *YOU* must bring it to the repair company *YOURSELF!*

Luckily I live and work in the city centre and could bring it to Image Supply Solutions off Camden St (heard bad things about Mactivate, if they're the guys based in Blanch?).

It's an absolute joke. If this macbook isn't perfect when I get it back, they have two options: a refund or the small claims court, tbh!

That's a ****ing disgrace. I'd just walk into the shop, dump it on the counter and tell them to fix it before walking out again. It's something that has always pissed me off about technology. My PSP was defective when I got it, the up button on the DPad would stick every so often. The shop refused to replace it, because it has "nothing to do with us."

AAAARGH, just because there's a manufacturers warranty doesn't mean you can sell broken products.

• Advertisement

Buceph wrote:
    That's a ****ing disgrace. I'd just walk into the shop, dump it on the counter and tell them to fix it before walking out again.

You can't expect the shop to give you a replacement laptop, knowing Apple won't give them a replacement for their stock.

It's Apple's fault with their ridiculous 14 day return policy.

The faults started when it was just about 3 weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

eth0_ wrote:

!

I belive ISS will just sent the notebooks back to Mactivate anyway.

Margins are so slim on apple hardware for the reseller, you will find that most will only offer what they are legally obliged to offer in the way of repair, replace, refund.

whippet wrote:
    I belive ISS will just sent the notebooks back to Mactivate anyway.

What? Are you serious? F*cking Apple...I could have brought it to Mactivate myself and saved some time, they said an engineer wouldn't be looking at it til the morning, perhaps because that engineer is in Mactivate and not ISS.

argh.

eth0_ wrote:
    What? Are you serious? F*cking Apple...I could have brought it to Mactivate myself and saved some time, they said an engineer wouldn't be looking at it til the morning, perhaps because that engineer is in Mactivate and not ISS.

argh.

Apple have very strict policies on who can service their notebooks. As far as I know Mactivate are the only people who can service 'warranty' notebooks.

whippet wrote:
    Apple have very strict policies on who can service their notebooks. As far as I know Mactivate are the only people who can service 'warranty' notebooks.

They told me they have THREE service centers in Dublin, so I really hope you're wrong about this. I have a feeling you are.

who told you they had 3 service centres? ISS or Apple?

I may be wrong but I know that each service centre has to have certification on each type of mac before they can reapir under warranty, otherwise they have to send them to mactivate to be reapired.

Personally I would suggest dealing with Mactivate directly, they are good guys and do try and turn around as quicly as possible.

whippet wrote:
    who told you they had 3 service centres? ISS or Apple?
    Personally I would suggest dealing with Mactivate directly, they are good guys and do try and turn around as quicly as possible.

Apple told me that...
    I wish I could deal with mactivate but i've already given the macbook to ISS yesterday morning.

I may be wrong and ISS are an authorised Notebook service centre. To be honest it will only add max a day on to the turn around time.

a few years ago they had to be shipped by mactivate to Germany for servicing and that took at least two weeks plus lead time on spare parts etc.

whippet wrote:
    I may be wrong and ISS are an authorised Notebook service centre. To be honest it will only add max a day on to the turn around time.

I rang them there, they do service notebook's themselves. The engineer was away on holiday and has a lot to get through, so he won't be able to look at mine til Wednesday. Sigh.

Advertisement