Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the NY Bar exam useful?

Options
  • 20-07-2006 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Im thinking of doing the new york bar exam with a view to getting a job in the states I already have a law degree and a masters in law. Is the new york bar any use or should I do a solicitors apprenticeship first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

It's useful if you want to practice law in New York. Essential actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SteveS

If you have your heart set on practicing in NY. If you have other options, you should take whatever state's exam, depending on where you want to live. From what I have heard, the NY bar exam is one of the most difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 auburn1000

It does sound a bit obvious, but if you want to work in law in New York, you need to pass the New York Bar exams to get some employer attention. I'm speaking as someone who has just reluctantly enrolled in the barbri course for the Feb 2007 exams. I am living in NY at the moment and thought I could pick up some work with my Irish qualifications alone. Not so, most of the firms don't rate overseas legal experience much, unless it is with international law firms and they are really focused on NY qualifications (including masters degrees from NYU/Colombia etc) - and that's just to be a paralegal! Also it seems to be an employers market here at the moment because there are so many qualified lawyers in the city, so I would recommend doing some research before making a decision on the exams. If you have experience in commercial law you will probably be at an advantage though. You could try the Irish American Bar Association of New York for contacts.

Advertisement