Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clubbing in Waterford

• 20-07-2006 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

Heading to Waterford City for the 3rd August Bank Holiday weeken in a row. Came across a few sites recently that listed some clubs that I was not aware of. Most notably Club TEN. I'm looking for somewhere that will place half decent to decent dance music. Looking at club TEN, they've had acts such as Laurent Garnier, Groove Armada, Jeff Mills, Erick Morillo, Dave Clarke, Felix Da Housecat, Green Velvet, Layo & Bushwacka!, Carl Craig, Mylo, Timo Maas, Darren Emerson, Slam, Kerri Chandler, Seb Fontaine, Erol Alkan and Justin Robertson.

That's a decent enough list for a relatively new club.

I'm not really interested in South in Tramore, as that tends to pull the 18 year olds and under generation. I'm in my mid 20s. When in Waterford last year I just asked random people on the street on one night out, "is there any dance clubs in Waterford city", they laughed and said not a hope. From the list acts above, I would say that either TEN was not open this time last year or none of them knew what I meant by a dance club.

I hate the "pack 'em in" cattlemarts that play the usual rubbish chart music. I ended up in the Forum for the past two years and eventhough I've only been there twice, I'm sick of the place.

Of course the first place I looked for information was on the site for TEN itself and there is nothing planned for the August bank holliday, so I'm just wondering from any of you in the know, does the club play dance music on normal (Friday, Saturday) nights, etc.

Also, does the dress code actually forbid "Trainers". I mean if this is a dance club, how the feck can you be expected to dance properly wearing shoes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dilinja

go to www.blaa.ie for any clubbing info, the republik guys had mark farina last week, James Lavelle is playing next week, spraoi is on the august bank holiday so im sure there will be a couple of nights on. More than likely musiklab will be running something in the Bowery which is across the road from the tower hotel..www.musiklab.net :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

ve wrote:
    When in Waterford last year I just asked random people on the street on one night out, "is there any dance clubs in Waterford city", they laughed and said not a hope. From the list acts above, I would say that either TEN was not open this time last year or none of them knew what I meant by a dance club

TEN was indeed open this time last year so the people you asked didnt know what you meant i'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

You'll love TEN when the big names are in town but away from that they have to play a lot of mainstream stuff to keep the majority happy. I'm djing in a club in waterford tonight and believe me I'd love to play stuff a bit left of centre but they're quite strict so Shakira it is. The best I can do is throw in some old school stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

here you go VE, W'fords upcoming General Events for house/techno/soul amongest other things. Thanks for the pimpin' Dilinja :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I found this site very useful for gigs and events www.electric-circus.net, events from Ten and other clubs are displayed here. The calendar at the bottom right is very useful displaying the event, venue, time and cover charge at quick glance, you an also click in to get more info on the night.

I also found this very useful in the event section on the forum quite a few prople promoting thier nights there from Waterford and around the country.
    http://electric-circus.net/site/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

the site contains dj mixes, bands songs, Video footage most are from Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Mossy Monk wrote:
    TEN was indeed open this time last year so the people you asked didnt know what you meant i'd say

I'd say they knew what he meant mossy but 10 ain't the best on a normal night but some great stuff when decent dj's play there.. some very big names after playin there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

Right I said to hell with it and I got in touch with the club. Have to admit those guys are on the ball @ TEN, sent a message and got a reply within 6 mins.

Right on Saturday the 5th of August, the Disconauts are playing. Have heard them before, so not really what I'm after. They're not bad, but I'm not a massive fan of their style.

Then on Sunday the 6th, Kenny Hawkes has been confirmed. He is supported by local house music DJs. In the second room they have a techno act called Necksnapper......I don't know if either of those are any good.

If anyone knows, will ya let us know.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

ve wrote:
    In the second room they have a techno act called Necksnapper......I don't know if either of those are any good.

...are a duo who do live techno. Only heard them once and i was fairly impressed, i'm not into techno at all but the lads are very good. Thiknk it's decks and Albelton they use.

There is bound to be a free DJ gig on the Plasa again this year. Disconauts and Electric Method have played there in the last two years so i wouldn't be surprised if the Disconauts are doing the free gig and then playing the club.

In saying that tou...it's always been Musiklab (The Bowery Bar) who have organised the Plaza slot and not Ten. So it could will be a Musiklab gig again this year, they are yet to announce their lineup. I'll find out for you though what they're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

I'll find out for you though what they're doing.
    Thanks very much mate ;)

Appreciate it. Will check back here regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

necksnapper are excellent. well worth a look if you're into techno.

This is also on during Spraoi weekend:

Rotate Records hits the streets of Waterford City for the Spraoi festival with a stage on Henrietta Street (Outside old shop) on sunday between 2pm -6pm.

Line-Up

Niall Power (Electric Circus) Dj Live Set
    Pet Shop Dave -Live (Pet Shop Records)
    David Briden v's David Halligan (Minimal Techno)
    Soydan v's Paul Smith (Funky House)
    Dave Bennett v`s Martin Whelan (Deep House)

Spraoi Sunday on Henrietta Street
    2pm - 6pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭lukemusiklab

Hello,

yes we're doing the Plaza again this year we have 7 gigs in 4 nights so were just holding off announcing the lot until all was 100%. The dance gigs u speak of are... Oh and BTW both Ten gigs are in collaboration with Spraoi and the last time we did a club show together was on NYE (go to www.shakedownclub.com and download the video from the night). But in my humble opinion the best night of clubbing that we have ever put on in 6 years. Anyways enough bulls**t from me....

Sat Aug 5th - 8pm - Free
    William Vincent Wallace Plaza, The Quay
    DISCONAUTS
    SOLID STATE
    Free outdoor gig, Disconauts did it 3 years ago and it was pretty good, If weather is anyway decent its deadly.

--
    Sat Aug 5th - 10.30pm - 12euros
    Ten John Street
    DISCONAUTS
    TORANN
    SOLID STATE
    DAZ & MARTIN

Outdoors moves indoors. Besides the opening slot this is a live night solid state & disconauts are djs + lots of musicians, Torann (www.torann.net) are a percussion group, no djs, we've had them support acts like Umek in the past.

--
    Sun Aug 6th - 11pm - 12euros
    Ten John Street

In the Club
    KENNY HAWKES
    WILL POWER
    JOE GOULD
    SKELLY

In the Mezz
    NECKSNAPPER
    ALAN HARRIS
    LARD

Kenny is one of those house djs the techno crowd like, he's plays fairly across the board and always pulls a decent crowd. There's a couple of mixes up at www.elitemm.co.uk his agents site. Necksnapper are probably the only local act that I have come across that could hedline a night on their own. Had a room of 200 people going nuts for us out in tramore a few weeks back and Alan was up supporting Ben Sims in the TBMC back in May.

More info on our site from Monday www.musiklab.net

Advertisement