Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Sh*t!!

Options
  • 20-07-2006 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

Just moved into a lovely new house and have discovered that next doors cat using my front garden as a toilet!! Ive spoken to the owners who seem uninterested but cant even open the kitchen window with the smell!
    Am i right in thinking that cat faces are dangerous not only to me but my kids also? This is not in Parental issues as its not all about the kids and noone goes in there anyway!!
    Is there somewhere i can look up cat faces and the dangers involved to help my case with the management company??

PS to add insult to injury the animal has just had a litter and the kittens are being offered to everyone on the road!! Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

This is not really a PI.

My pet hate, people who think it's ok for their cats to crap in your garden.
    Go to the nearest garden centre, buy a few bottles of 'Get off my Garden' I think it's called. It's in a clear bottle, it's a type of green jelly. Spread it around your garden before you go to bed (it smells when you first put it out)
    Cats hate it, I've been putting it in my garden and it's keeping the little fukers away.
    I have another solution, but I can't print it here and I don't own a gun anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Dont people have those plastic bottles full of water in their gardens to scare off cats, something to do with seeing their reflection?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Dreamer 7 wrote:
    Is there somewhere i can look up cat faces

http://community.webshots.com/album/25059434rknaJFeoDr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭podgewalsh

Dont people have those plastic bottles full of water in their gardens to scare off cats, something to do with seeing their reflection?
    I thought it scared them off because they think a larger amimal has already done their bizness there ? Not sure If it only works with dogs though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

I like ur style Beruthiel, how safe is this green stuff for the kids? Im off to follow these links to try and help my cause, I dont wanna be the new person moving in and complaining from day 1 but i went from an apartment to a house so the kids could play outside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You need to deter the cats from coming into your garden.
    They dislike citrus and peeling or a spray will keep them away.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Dreamer 7 wrote:
    I like ur style Beruthiel, how safe is this green stuff for the kids?

I honestly cannot say, is there no where you can put it the kids can't reach?
    Someone in the garden centre will help you out on that one. The stuff does work though. My garden used to be dug up in 2 or 3 places everyday, it hasn't been touched since I put the stuff down regularly.
    I hate cats.

I hate cats too smelly, hairy rubbing off you all the time little f*ckers. Ill try the garden centre, i was soo looking forward to pottering around in my little garden :(

I heard it was that the was a low voltage of electricity going between the bottles which creates a barrier they feel they cannot cross???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Doolittle51

Dreamer 7 wrote:
    Ive spoken to the owners who seem uninterested

Maybe they'd take an interest in your situation if you left the cat sh*t on their window sill/doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

if you see the cat doing its business spray a hose on it, after a few times i dont think it will come back

or get a dog ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭VroomVroom

gline wrote:
    spray a hose on it, after a few times i dont think it will come back

or get a dog ;)

The hose really works, it is amusing too! Cats do not seem to like water at all. Cats are a useless invention... I like the dog idea but you don't want a puppy, you want something to instantly go for the cat, without mixing up the cat with the kids, stick to the hose!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Cate feces can pose a health risk - but only from physical contact AFAIK.
    If the owner seems uninterested about this issue, and apparently didn't get the cat neutered when they clearly have no ability or interest in taking care of a new litter - I'd say they're unfit owners. (I doubt they'd be bothered but...) you could raise a complaint with the council or something.

Cats can be evil little bastards. Ex: just chase them out or hit them with a small bit of water from a hose and they'll come back in the middle of the night and leave a little present.
    A lot of the sprays and solutions smell as bad (or worse) than the problem, or cause further health risks. If you are going to go with a citrus solution-use a spray, not peels. I don't know how healthy many of those sprays from garden centres are - read the label and ask in the garden centre. Alternatively, you can get 'ultrasound deterrants' - lots of people seem to like CatWatch.

You'd probably get more feedback in the more appropriate forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=240

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Bucket of water + good aim, cat won't come back.

nialo wrote:
    One solution. Air rifle. Nice shot in the ass and u wont see the cat again!
    I do dream of getting such revenge but Doolittle has the same idea as myself, Im off home to root up the deposits and let them find then on the doorstep tonite! i think ill have a nice glass of wine and watch the reaction with a smile! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭RandomOne

Dreamer 7 wrote:
    I do dream of getting such revenge but Doolittle has the same idea as myself, Im off home to root up the deposits and let them find then on the doorstep tonite! i think ill have a nice glass of wine and watch the reaction with a smile! :)

Be prepared for a visit from the Garda then. A cat owner has no control over where their cat "goes" unless it's an indoor-only cat. There are several products to deter cats without resorting to cruelty. A hose is way OTT, the sort of thing you use to spray water onto clothes when ironing however IMO is fine and I've used it myself on my own cats... which brings me to my next bit:

I have cats, I like cats. Fortunately for my neighbours, they "go" in my own garden or the litter tray, so I sympathise as it's the most god awful smell immediately after they've done it. For the purposes of dealing with that, I use a neutralising air spray. Cats are generally very fastidious about burying what they've done so choose loose soil over lawn for instance.

In the immediate term, you have: repellants, water spray, air neutraliser. In the longer term: consider having all lawn since your garden is for children over botanical interest. Cats also generally don't like children they don't know. Your child is a natural repellant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Toolbag

Only one piece of kit needed for this, a Black Widow. You can get them in Dublin, and I'm not talking about the spider about before you ask (that might work though).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Toolbag wrote:
    Only one piece of kit needed for this, a Black Widow. You can get them in Dublin, and I'm not talking about the spider about before you ask (that might work though).

except u'd have the rspca at your door, water is the safest i think, it wont harm the animal in anyway as long as the hose isnt too powerful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

We have 2 cats and over the past year cat sh!t was left on our doorstep on 5 seperate occasions. Absolutly no-one approached us about the problem at any stage and I would have been happy to buy them some cat repelant out of my own pocket.

If the owner doesn't care then its a different story, but don't go taking action like that before all other avenues are considered.

I now have a €800 Harddisk CCTV system installed and the next time I catch someone leaving something on at my front door I'll pass a recording onto the Gardai, they told us they would be very interested in seeing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Toolbag wrote:
    Ingenious, but instead of putting the sh1t on the owners doorstep, put it in with their car engine. With hot weather like this and the heat from the engine it would throw out a vicious stink and give them a taste of what you've been suffering.

Wow , first prize to Toolbag for being the first person on boards.ie that is his actuall username.

You clearly didn't read my post, I was suggesting that they speak to their neighbours before doing anything like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Once again another thread ruined by people advocating cruelty to animals.
    Cats naturally crap wherever and it's the owners you should be angry at not the animal.

So you'd rather bag up **** and leave it on the doorstep than have the guts the knock on the door and have an intelligent adult conversation with the owners.

I have had this problem over the years and have spoken to owners - given them advice - asked them to provide a litter tray in their own garden and encouraged them to get their pets neutered.

It won't work everytime but hey - at least try - the other option is just gutless and a waste of time - what you gonna do - bag it up and put it on the doorstep every night - not solving anything is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

well done suzy dont ppl read charters.. its not funny and its not clever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Toolbag

Dreamer 7 wrote:
    Just moved into a lovely new house and have discovered that next doors cat using my front garden as a toilet!! Ive spoken to the owners who seem uninterested

You clearly didn't read the original post K-TRIC dawg

Do pet owners not have face the responsibility of their free roaming pet's actions? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Toolbag,Nialo banned for more advocating animal cruelty.
    No more warnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Bury some open pots of Vicks Vapo-rub dispense into 4 plastic cups per jar, and half bury them in around where they go, I promise you they will not be happy going there again and will find a new loo. Might take a week but it works (and its cheaper than the garden center crap which is usually just a citrus smell).

This way is safe for the cat, the kids and one jar can be put into four plastic cups, just make sure you half-bury them in the soil.
    It would also help if you cover the soil with large pebbles (there are nice ones relatively cheap these days). They like places where they can "bury" it and large pebbles dont let that happen.

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Sounds great - would it deter your own dogs tho :confused:

My mam has probs with a cat but she doesn't know who owns the poor fecker. I will pass on this tip to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Hellrazer wrote:
    Toolbag,Nialo banned for more advocating animal cruelty.
    No more warnings.

thanks hellrazer, i was just going to report those fools.. some people really have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Beruthiel is spot on about the Get Off My Lawn stuff - if you're near an Aldi they had it a few weeks ago on special offer so you might be able to still pick some up for cheap :D. I wasn't sure it'd work so when we got it as a test I stuck it under my cats nose - he screwed up his face and ran under the table so I knew it was good stuff! It really pi$$es me off when cats crap in our garden because I already have my own cat (who lives in the house) who uses a litter tray which I empty and clean for him- why should I have to clean up for my neighbors who let their pets and kids run wild?!...ahem rant over.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Are you sure its a cat thats doing it?, it could be fox poo which is quite vile. Cats will usually do a hole and cover it up.

Advertisement