Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board Tracker

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

ecksor wrote:
    See, you get banned originally for a torrent of abuse spewed at everyone who came within your radar and subsequently make a childish nuisance of yourself but instead of admit or face up to that you try to claim that it's my personal vendetta that results in your banning. Get a grip.

Hmmm

He's posting away happily for what? 6 months? and no other moderator has a problem and then you say...
    I thought you'd gotten sick of us and buzzed off years ago anyway.
    and when he replies with...
    Ecksor, I notice you still think you're witty and interesting, that must be great for you, well done.
    did you suddenly realise it was adam and ban him?

Or you knew it was adam all along but the moment he responded ( in like fashion IMHO) that was either enough to reban him and claim he was up to his hold tricks or just banned him on principle (your principle alone seeing as no other mods seemed to have an issue with him)

To my mind if no other mod had a problem then it is your personal opinion (which I appreciate you are allowed) that banned him.

Given that there seems to be some history between the pair of you then vendetta, as in a bitter destructive feud, covers the banning, does it not?

I'm very curious about how mods are moderated here.

Ordinarily I don't involve myself in these type of threads, but seeing as adam has had some useful positive input into IOFFL (and sometimes some negative as well) I thought I'd check out what happened. When I read
    ecksor wrote:
    I guess it was just an attention seeking tantrum then? :)
    seeing a mod ban someone with a throwaway remark followed with a smiley raises some questions in my mind.

John

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

did you suddenly realise it was adam and ban him?

Nope, I realised it was him last week. I'd honestly forgotten why I banned him so I did a search (boards has not been foremost in my mind for several months now. I'm still getting resituated, but normal service is returning). Let's just say that if I hadn't been ill and away for a while he wouldn't have lasted so long.
    Or you knew it was adam all along but the moment he responded ( in like fashion IMHO) that was either enough to reban him and claim he was up to his hold tricks or just banned him on principle (your principle alone seeing as no other mods seemed to have an issue with him)

I have no indication that he was up to his "old tricks", but was previously a repeat offender and after a particularly heated thread on the Mod forum I believed that he'd had enough chances and that since he's in his 30s he's not suddenly going to have an epiphany. Are you saying we should just wait awhile until he inevitably blows up again?
    To my mind if no other mod had a problem then it is your personal opinion (which I appreciate you are allowed) that banned him.

His original banning was mine. The normal etiquette around here is not for anyone to override that without consultation.
    Given that there seems to be some history between the pair of you then vendetta, as in a bitter destructive feud, covers the banning, does it not?

What's your basis for saying that other than reading dahamsta's posts? Bear in mind that he's very keen to spread the myth that I only have a problem with him because he criticises me. This is convenient for him because it distracts from the original childishness that he was banned for.

We're not mutual fans, but I can list several nuisances (many who frequent IOFFL!!) that I mostly have nothing to do with because they don't throw tantrums.
    I'm very curious about how mods are moderated here.

If people have a problem with the moderation then it is usually raised on this forum.
    Ordinarily I don't involve myself in these type of threads, but seeing as adam has had some useful positive input into IOFFL (and sometimes some negative as well) I thought I'd check out what happened.

AFAIK he has had some positive (and sometimes negative) input into many fora.

For the record, the straw that broke the camel's back was:

He was banned from After Hours for this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=300649

He then decided to wade into the Mod forum and start hurling abuse at all involved and everyone who commented on the situation. This lead to a temporary site ban. He then proceeded to sign up many accounts with the apparent aim of digging deeper. At that point I made his ban permanent. If he wishes to pretend that's a personal vendetta on my part then all I can say is that he went a long way out of his way to give me plausible deniability.

If you wish to discuss this further on this forum than just drop me a PM and I'll split off the relevant posts so that we don't distract from the discussion surrounding the search features.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

ecksor wrote:
    Nope, I realised it was him last week. I'd honestly forgotten why I banned him so I did a search (boards has not been foremost in my mind for several months now. I'm still getting resituated, but normal service is returning). Let's just say that if I hadn't been ill and away for a while he wouldn't have lasted so long.
    OK.

ecksor wrote:
    I have no indication that he was up to his "old tricks", but was previously a repeat offender and after a particularly heated thread on the Mod forum I believed that he'd had enough chances and that since he's in his 30s he's not suddenly going to have an epiphany. Are you saying we should just wait awhile until he inevitably blows up again?
    No but if someone modifies their behaviour is there no chance of redemption? Even the Big Man allows sinners to repent, not that I see Adam doing that :D

ecksor wrote:
    His original banning was mine. The normal etiquette around here is not for anyone to override that without consultation.
    Fair enough.

ecksor wrote:
    What's your basis for saying that other than reading dahamsta's posts? Bear in mind that he's very keen to spread the myth that I only have a problem with him because he criticises me. This is convenient for him because it distracts from the original childishness that he was banned for.
    It wasn't particularly from his or your posts more from observing actions that you are the one that gave him the site ban.
    ecksor wrote:
    We're not mutual fans, but I can list several nuisances (many who frequent IOFFL!!) that I mostly have nothing to do with because they don't throw tantrums.
    Agreed, and in most cases in IOFFL the mods are (rightly) tough but in most cases it's a more reasoned form of nuisance rather than the "Your an x,y and z" type comments. Though we get them as well.

ecksor wrote:
    He then decided to wade into the Mod forum and start hurling abuse at all involved and everyone who commented on the situation. This lead to a temporary site ban. He then proceeded to sign up many accounts with the apparent aim of digging deeper. At that point I made his ban permanent. If he wishes to pretend that's a personal vendetta on my part then all I can say is that he went a long way out of his way to give me plausible deniability.
    Makes sense but see my point above re redemption.
    JWT wrote:
    ecksor wrote:
    I guess it was just an attention seeking tantrum then? :)

seeing a mod ban someone with a throwaway remark followed with a smiley raises some questions in my mind.
    That point is the one that prompted my response.

ecksor wrote:
    If you wish to discuss this further on this forum than just drop me a PM and I'll split off the relevant posts so that we don't distract from the discussion surrounding the search features.

No need, you've answered my curiosity, and this post isn't a "getting the last word in post", now I know the logic and history behind the banning.

I'll shut up now.

Regards

John

EDIT

Feel free to delete this post and my other one above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Not being able to search by user has, I must admit, been driving me ab-sol-utely insane.

same here, its awfully frustrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ken Bedraggled

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

See sig

Mike.

Like I say Who Guards the Guardians?

Mike.

ps welkome back for a min or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

a postcount of 8, and im forced to subscribe to use 'search by user'.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

a postcount of 8, and im forced to subscribe to use 'search by user'.

No.

Have you tried the stickys?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Hang on I gotta find the bullets for the gun I am holding to your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

After reading the other threads regarding the search system, I will say, this thread is NOT another one. The issue this time is with the current system you are using (boardtracker). It doesnt work with Safari, it will show the number of results, and the links to the different pages, but it never shows the actual results. They only work for me in Firefox. I am sure this is a minor issue, but it would be nice if you guys could sort it.

Second, is it possible to set the quote system so that clicking the quote button just "remembers" the contents of that thread so that you can tick multiple posts to quote by clicking the relevent quote buttons. Invision Powerboard does this by default and its fantastic.

Third, this is more of a question rather then a suggestion or actual feedback, but I want to know why you guys chose to use vBulletin rather then InvisionPowerboard 2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Because vB was better than UBB. As for the search problem that's being worked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Sparky-s wrote:
    No.

Have you tried the stickys?

Google doesn't nearly have all boards posts indexed.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭PTL

thank god more people hate the tracker , i thought i was the only one ... although i dont think anyone here will say that they would prefere having no search at all. But can we get some answers from boards.ie admins like there always going on about upgrading the server and doing abc but never with any time lines at all .... and also that they need funding and subscriptions but how much do you need and how many subscriptions to finally fix this problem? Stop being a politician and give us answers haha :) apart from the search youse do an absolutly amazing job looking after boards.ie

apart from the search youse do an absolutly amazing job looking after boards.ie

Phew, you just saved your ass there! :p

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Things will get done when they actually get the time to do them, They all have normal jobs(Except tom :P ) and are very busy at the moment so I'm guessing the reason that there is no time lines is because they cannot commit to a certain date atm

Haha im like a politician aswell and put one line in the end that cancels out any offensive stuff above it haha but im not talking dates im talking possible months/seasons/years :) will boards.ie have a proper search function up and running by the end of 2006 :)

Im guessing theres no way of exporting all posts to a seperate server and domain (www.boardsearch.ie) and allowing people to search that as much as they want and every 2-3 days the boards.ie server is synched with the boardsearch one? that way people can browse boards.ie with as much speed as they want and go onto boardsearch knowing its going to be slow but it will get the job done. I havn't a clue about vBulletin so don't know is it possible but if your not part of the solution your part of the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Cloud mentioned they are getting a server to handle search querys.

I remember him saying that, or otherwise I must of been dreaming.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Nope, he said it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

PTL wrote:
    will boards.ie have a proper search function up and running by the end of 2006
    Maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

PTL wrote:
    will boards.ie have a proper search function up and running by the end of 2006 :)
    I think it would be, uh, premature to, uh, answer that question at this time.

Ok an easier question .... who would win in a race between

boards.ie proper search function or the dublin port tunnel :)

Advertisement