Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safety Course

Options
  • 20-07-2006 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

With the recent mention in the CJB of the need for the completion of a "Recognised Firearms Safety Course" for licence applications and renewals (and I see Sparks has found mention of this again in the Abbeylara Report appendices)......

Where might a civilian participate in such a thing in Ireland ?

Leaving aside the "recognised" bit for the moment as I'm sure this has yet to be defined by the powers-that-be, are there safety courses being run at present ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There are a few - the IPSA runs a pistol safety course for example, and a few others have been run. Don't have times/places/syllabi though, nor an indication of which ones are good and which ones, well, aren't as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭17HMR

Guess I'd be looking for something relevant to hunting with rimfire rifle.

Though, from what you've just put up under the Abbeylara thread it would appear that there are some strong recommendations that the NARGC take up the training gauntlet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Though, from what you've just put up under the Abbeylara thread it would appear that there are some strong recommendations that the NARGC take up the training gauntlet ?
    From Barr, yes - but that's not final yet by any means.

Personally, I'd say just learn to be safe, as opposed to worrying who will be picked by the DoJ to run the final course, because that won't happen for a while yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭17HMR

Have been shooting safely (in my opinion anyway !) for about 17 years now.

You would think that that would count for more than being able to produce a piece of paper saying that you had attended a couple of hours training somewhere.

Anyway.
    Was just interested in what might be out there, come the day......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

17HMR wrote:
    Have been shooting safely (in my opinion anyway !) for about 17 years now.

You would think that that would count for more than being able to produce a piece of paper saying that you had attended a couple of hours training somewhere.

QUOTE]

I am not doubting your safety record HMR, but the amount of unsafe people whom I have met on the range who would have the same belief as yourself is quite staggering.

The fact of people shooting for x amount of years without any formal training or safety induction is somewhat scary to me, most people are actually more lucky than intelligent in this scenario for not having had a shooting related incident.

Most self taught shooters who have come to me for a lesson or are simply out with us on a corporate or stag do, cannot believe how much they learn in a short safety instruction I give before allowing anyone to shoot.

I am all for the standardisation of safety training for all shooters, it will never eliminate all accidents but at least you know that the shooter next to you has undergone the same training as you and has been made aware of what to and not to do.

At this time I trust no shooters safety record unless I know them personally or know that they have undergone adequate training or instruction in safe gun handling.
    It is always the age old story of my 'Uncle Paddy' taught me how to shoot and how to handle a gun.

Uncle Paddy, if you are out there, I'm still looking for you...We need to have a good long chat about your poor safety instruction etc. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

When I was selling guns, I always made a point of asking the buyer if they wanted a run through the use of their new gun, assembly etc, in addition to giving them the manual (or a copy of a manual if gun was secondhand). In fairness a good few people would ask me for same before I got a chance to offer, but a remarkable amount of people would reply along lines "ah, I'll figure it out for myself". Funnily enough, a fair proportion of them would be back later on with "faulty guns".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Perhaps something like a FAS safepass? (only valid for longer)
    You would be required to produce one with your application, it would make applications easier as the gardai wouldnt be handing out licenses to unsafe individuals.
    The courses could be run by anyone who attends a standardised instructor course.
    The club instructors could get that and continue as normal but be officially certified, it would avoid messing up things for the clubs which have always been safety minded.

Advertisement