Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

rights regarding a car purchased privately

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

So do I assume from the posts on that forum that you bought a modded car without any mechanical check by an expert?:eek:

Im no expert but I would have thought supercharging an already highly stressed peformance engine isnt the wisest course of action. Ok I've heard the arguement that supercharging actual reduces the stresses on an engine but still......

Im a little puzzled that the performance of a standard type R wasnt enough for you. Why ruin that legendary honda build quality by letting some half arsed modder near it? The mind boggles....

No offense but you brought this on yourself all the way imo.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

An ITR with a Jackson SC kit. I guess it all depends on the contract/warranty you have with the seller, and based on the pre-purchase inspection you had done. Otherwise I'd presume you bought it as seen. But I don't know much about you check out a modded car.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kopijacked

Well from what I understand from the guy that built the engine, the owner knew that it needed this part...

So he knew that the car had a fault and can be held responsible yeah?

kopijacked wrote:
    Well from what I understand from the guy that built the engine, the owner knew that it needed this part...

So he knew that the car had a fault and can be held responsible yeah?

How would you prove it?

Received this in an e-mail from the owner:

"Henry asked me to buy a new sensor which I did, when I went up to collect the car which I did do, but on arrival I found that there was nothing wrong with the sensor but the wide band had packed in

The car was left to run on its compensation according the air temp etc... I sent this back to DTA and they said when they get a new batch they would call me to book the car in and get it fitted which they did not.

I rang them on several occasions and was told they would ring me, at this time I decided that I was not using the car anymore and decided to sell it as I was unaware that it was *essential* part of the cars running"

Unaware but still aware that it was necessary if you ask me, this is basically saying to me that he knew that something for the car was needed, but was just to lazy to have it fitted and didn't see the point when selling the car on( even though he knew it was something needed for the car).

So he knew the car was faulty/not complete without this part but failed to notify me and or have the issue rectified before selling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's a private sale of a modded car.

You have no comeback whatsoever afaik irrespective of how good or bad the cars condition is/was.

Well it was faulty and he failed to inform me of the fault.

If he had of informed me of the fault then I wouldn't have any comeback.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

In a private sale he doesn't have to tell you diddly squat. Even if he knew the engine was going to pop it's your lookout and not his.

It's strictly "caveat emptor" and the onus was on you to have checked the car over 100% before buying it.

I reckon a decent mechanic should have spotted the engines pending demise. The oil pressure must have been low surely?

In any event I reckon you have no comeback.

I think you should spilt it 50/50 myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

In a private sale he doesn't have to tell you diddly squat. Even if he knew the engine was going to pop it's your lookout and not his.

It's strictly "caveat emptor" and the onus was on you to have checked the car over 100% before buying it.

In any event I reckon you have no comeback.
    Quoted for truth.

If you got an offer of any money at all I would take it.

He doesnt owe you squat under UK law.

• Advertisement
Advertisement