Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Measuring house area

Options
  • 20-07-2006 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

I'm going to be renting out my house and I want to know how to meassure the area of the house.

E.g. Do I include the front and back gardens or just the area taken up by the house itself?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What do you need the information for?

I would just measure both

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Mossy

People usually specify the area (in sq ft or whatever) when they advertise property.

I can measure both, but I want to give a single measurement in my ad. There must be some general consensus as to what areas are included in that measurement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Mossy wrote:
    I'm going to be renting out my house and I want to know how to meassure the area of the house.

E.g. Do I include the front and back gardens or just the area taken up by the house itself?

You measure the internal area of the house only.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,085 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its been debated a few times but the Dept. environment say the floor area is the area measured from the inner surface of the external walls. That area will include all internal walls, chimney breasts, stairwells etc.

Auctioneers/estate agents have been known to measure everything to the outer face of the external walls thus giving an inflated floor area

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

muffler wrote:
    Its been debated a few times but the Dept. environment say the floor area is the area measured from the inner surface of the external walls. That area will include all internal walls, chimney breasts, stairwells etc.
    That is gross internal floor area. Tenants are only interested in net internal floor area, some even "the carpet area".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

muffler wrote:
    Auctioneers/estate agents have been known to measure everything to the outer face of the external walls thus giving an inflated floor area

If I was measuring a room I'm measure the two widest points for instance 5m x 3.2m unless it was a huge obstacle in the room taking up space I would'ent take it into account.

But even measuring can be subjective, outside brick to outside brick, inside wall to inside wall, Centre of brick to centre of brick. Just measure the outside walls of the house calculate the floor area and multiply by two if its a 2 story.

But I always make sure there's a big disclaimer at the bottom of the brochure:D

Advertisement