Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cannot see both partitions of usb hd

• 20-07-2006 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

I have a 300gb usb hd.

when i connect it to my laptop i can see both of its fat 32 partitions. one 100gb, the other 200gb.

but when i connect it to my desktop it only sees the 100gb partition.

when i select the "safely remove hardware" it shows the 100gb partition as generic volume I, and there is another "generic volume", which has no drive letter.

both pc's are running WinXP Pro, SP2 etc...

the desktop does have a lot of drives and network drives which could be an issue.

any help appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

How many have you got? I think XP allows a total of 24 drive letters (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

well, less than that.

two partitions on the hd

floppy drive

2 dvd drives, one virtual dvd drive (daemon tools)

7 network drives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

Yea also have a look in "Disk Management" and make sure it has a drive letter asigned to it. Sometimes if there is a conflicting drive letter you`ll not see the drive. I often see this with USB Disgo keys. All you have to do is asign a drive letter through Didsk Management.

Right Click My Computer, Select Manage, then Disk Management, and you should see the two partitions on your disk. Right click what ever partition and you can asign a drive letter.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

How old is the desktop vs. the laptop? I'm not sure how/if it applies to USB devices as I presume the onboard controller for the drive mitigates it but it just smacks of a system partition/drive size limit (eg. 136Gb).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

the are both around the same age. 2 1/2 years.

i am now having probs reading/writing to the partition i can see.

what a pile of ass

• Advertisement
Advertisement