Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

government cheques

Options
  • 20-07-2006 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I got a job for the summer in a government department and we get paid by cheque, does anyone know how long it takes for government cheques to clear? Someone told me they should clear straight away because they are state guarenteed, is that right?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

Pat88 wrote:
    I got a job for the summer in a government department and we get paid by cheque, does anyone know how long it takes for government cheques to clear? Someone told me they should clear straight away because they are state guarenteed, is that right?

Its a Cheque so the usual 3 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Yeah the bank cleared one right away for me once, it was a tax refund.

"I just put it straight into your account"

Im working in the gov for summer too, didn't think ppl still got paid by cheque these days tho. Do you get bank time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pat88

No I get no bank time which I think is unfair because even people whose money goes straight into their account get bank time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Celticfire

When you lodge your cheque let the teller know that it's a salary cheque and it should be cleared and lodged into your account straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

all cheques are lodged directly into your account, you are allowed to take the amount of the cheque out if there is already sufficient funds in the account to the same or more than the value of the cheque.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

boomer_ie wrote:
    all cheques are lodged directly into your account, you are allowed to take the amount of the cheque out if there is already sufficient funds in the account to the same or more than the value of the cheque.

Doing that is just the same as taking out what you have in your account regardless of whether you have a cheque or not. Instant checking in the US now, the banks will now accept a scanned copy of the cheque as proof so no need to post all cheques direct to the bank. teller just scans the cheque and away you go, used to take 5 days. USPS losing out on business though

Head The Wall

Advertisement