Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hilpers vs the rest

Options
  • 20-07-2006 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭

Why the hell do the Quinn School get an Insomnia. Its prices are just as high as Hilpers and they have a much wider range of coffee. Furthermore their selection of Sandwiches and cakes a just 100% better. Why cant we have a Starbucks or Bagle Bar in the Arts Block. Down With Hilpers.

What coffee company would you like to see in the ucd Arts building

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

The Bagel Factory and an Insomnia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Het-Field wrote:
    Why the hell do the Quinn School get an Insomnia.
    Because the building is four years old and built with having a coffee outlet in mind, whereas the Newman building is 28 or 29...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

i used to have fantasies about having a cafe irie on campus, but then it got shit so now i.. don't.

a bagel factory would be cool. nearly anything would be better than hilpers actually. 911's not too bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

rain on wrote:
    911's not too bad though.
    It's def improved from when it was dunkin donuts. Although sometimes it still looks dirty.

My fav was the O'Briens in Sports Centre. Always nice and fresh. Anyone try the new sports cafe yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Coffee is just a caffine delivery system.
    All I desire is that it me cheap and plentiful (yeah, good luck with that).

I do love the soup in Insomnia though, but in general, who cares. The best way to get a coffee on campus is to scout around for free society coffee mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

at least you guys have some sort of cafe. The eng block only has a little shop with instant coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Being old I still have a soft spot for a Bewleys coffee emporium... ahhh!! The good ol' daze...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I don't like coffee, but an itsabagel would be excellent. Also a proper smoothie bar. I like places where you can make your own sandwiches, like the student centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

The coffee in Hilpers is a tad dodge but not terrible. Its basically just coffee for the library as opposed to the kind you might look for when in town or whatnot. Id still like some better stuff but Im a black coffee sans sugar drinker so Im not fussy, but it says a lot that I can still tell their coffee is dodge when Im not even trying.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Starbucks (for the coffee anyway, and their cakes are just yum!). They've just opened where I work and it's just so tempting!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I love the grind for sandwiches, but then again it's next to my building so i'm just lazy too.

Also i know this is very strange but two of the caffeine addicts in my class swear by the cappachinos in the nescafe vending machine in the science block - apparently the best coffee available on campus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

irlrobins wrote:
    It's def improved from when it was dunkin donuts. Although sometimes it still looks dirty.

My fav was the O'Briens in Sports Centre. Always nice and fresh. Anyone try the new sports cafe yet?

Yes its great, very nice bright clean, selection is a bit disappointing though, I was expecting something bigger akin to the old sports bar. Very limited space, will be packed during term time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Also i know this is very strange but two of the caffeine addicts in my class swear by the cappachinos in the nescafe vending machine in the science block - apparently the best coffee available on campus

*makes mental note*

I love Starbucks too, my favourite coffee is the caramel machiatto.It would be great if we had Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Mmm, Starbucks. Venti black coffee, keep it simple. Lots of sugar too, about 6 of those little sticks of sugar in a venti.

caramel machiatto

exactly what the mgr of the new one recommended when i called in!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Not strong enough though. All that milk interfering with the mainlining of the caffeine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I don't think we should have yet another chain, i think we'd be far better off if somone started the business in ucd and just offered good, reasonably priced food and coffee, would take off big time if you ask me

Red Alert wrote:
    exactly what the mgr of the new one recommended when i called in!

Its the best one isn't it Red Alert.

OT Starbucks would work great but it would have to be smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

boneless wrote:
    Being old I still have a soft spot for a Bewleys coffee emporium... ahhh!! The good ol' daze...

we used to pee in every 50th cup . Fact! Ah the good ol'daze. :D . Its not really down to the coffee but the way in which the coffee is made. If Hilpers bothered to clean their machines or invest in a decent manual espresso machine (like the one in 911) it could be better as any self respecting coffee shop avoids insatcoffee machines like the plague. In 911 the bastard constantly burns the milk and it pains me to see them **** it up with scarily predictable continuity. It just smacks of "i dont care" from the staff and results your 200 mostly foam thing, he also screws up the espresso making it often to bitter and tobacco-ie. Starbucks would be the way to go , or just better managers of the places we have now would see a huge improvement in coffee standards.

In short , all coffee comes from more or less the same bean, its all in the prep!

Coffee Nerds away!

Red Alert wrote:
    caramel machiato

Rots your teeth! Its pure sugar!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

More a tea person really but as long as its fair trade il dring whatever coffee.The best coffee shop in the world is pret a manger but tis only in England,cant imagine it coming to Belfield.

Worst coffee ever=coffee from the terrace su shop...yuckky!!

Brand chains products would cost more than a well run cafe that has a good range of products and a service making all the hot drinks, caramel coffee, tea and hot chocolate with marshmallows.

Chakar wrote:
    Brand chains products would cost more than a well run cafe that has a good range of products and a service making all the hot drinks, caramel coffee, tea and hot chocolate with marshmallows.

Brand named products in this industry succeed because of their products. Unfortuanly we have a situation where Hilpers commands a strong hold over its consumers due to the lack of choice . But people whont stop going there because they are idots therfore Hilpers dosnt have to be a well run cafe.

Yes that is true brand chain products succeed but that doesn't mean there can't be a well run cafe with good products.

Otherwise brand coffee chains have the advantage.

all im saying is you dont have to ahve a well run cafe and thats proven by Hilpers continued existence. Its a private company and we as students cant do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

So glad I dont drink coffee, seems like a lot of you are still searching for The One.*

*One coffee to rule them all?

*and in the darkness bind them

See the thing about coffee is that its so easy to make right but these gimps constantly mess it up .

there's a really hot girl in the new starbucks, i could just say, oh so you've messed it up eh, wanna go talk about iut??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Grimes wrote:
    we used to pee in every 50th cup . Fact! Ah the good ol'daze. :D . Its not really down to the coffee but the way in which the coffee is made. If Hilpers bothered to clean their machines or invest in a decent manual espresso machine (like the one in 911) it could be better as any self respecting coffee shop avoids insatcoffee machines like the plague. In 911 the bastard constantly burns the milk and it pains me to see them **** it up with scarily predictable continuity. It just smacks of "i dont care" from the staff and results your 200 mostly foam thing, he also screws up the espresso making it often to bitter and tobacco-ie. Starbucks would be the way to go , or just better managers of the places we have now would see a huge improvement in coffee standards.

In short , all coffee comes from more or less the same bean, its all in the prep!

Coffee Nerds away!

Mmmmm... Grimes widdle!! So that was the secret...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Red Alert wrote:
    there's a really hot girl in the new starbucks, i could just say, oh so you've messed it up eh, wanna go talk about iut??
    /shakes head in admiration

Engineers, eh? They really know how to sweet-talk a lady...:D :rolleyes:

Advertisement