Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contracting Rates

Options
  • 20-07-2006 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

Any one have info on the going contract rates for java developers 6yrs exp. Just wanted to get opinions from other places than recruitement agencies.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 dan_pretty_boy

Usually between 400 to 500.. but I have heard of 590 for people with certain skills... ATG , Web Services , MQSeries etc..

Regards
    Danny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Torak

Usually between 400 to 500.. but I have heard of 590 for people with certain skills... ATG , Web Services , MQSeries etc..

Regards
    Danny

really.. in ireland. Is that what the company pays to the recruitment agency and then the agency take their cut because the rates I see are much lower AFAIK. (besides one person who is not a java head as such and would be much more of a design consultant with a really good background).

I'd love to be wrong on this but I just don't see that for a "java developer" tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

Torak wrote:
    really.. in ireland. Is that what the company pays to the recruitment agency and then the agency take their cut because the rates I see are much lower AFAIK. (besides one person who is not a java head as such and would be much more of a design consultant with a really good background).

I'd love to be wrong on this but I just don't see that for a "java developer" tbh

So what rates are you seeing Torak?

And why the "java developer" in quotes!? ... what are you saying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

comanche wrote:
    Any one have info on the going contract rates for java developers 6yrs exp.

I guess it would determine a lot on what you did in those 6 years with java. Do you have any certs with it? What contracting have you done to date? etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

Hobbes wrote:
    I guess it would determine a lot on what you did in those 6 years with java. Do you have any certs with it? What contracting have you done to date? etc.

Have worked in various env - mutithreaded back end apps, swing/awt gui dev, web applications development, web services development... have done alot of work in the telecommunications so have lots of experience with all the various MMS protocols, WAP, content transposition, mpos services, OMA DRM, billing systesm etc. Not really the sort of stuff that you get certs in, but would be worth my while getting some java sun certification under my belt I reckon!

Have no contracting experience...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Torak

comanche wrote:
    So what rates are you seeing Torak?

And why the "java developer" in quotes!? ... what are you saying :)

Rates I see to the developer are 275 - 375. Anything above this is high end..

That said they may be on the way back up higher due to demand, but up until this time last year 375 would have been good to get (IMO).

The quotes was just meant to identify the target role. It was not derogatory in any way.. just that management see roles and people to fill the roles. So the role is java developer. A Manager wants a java developer. Most management (as a whole - not the individuals) can't see beyond this to the quality or identity of an individual, and therefore pay the rate for the role.

So if your role is Systems Integration Expert with special expertise in Java, or Enterprise Application blah with Java blah .... then it is a different kettle of fish. Often the same person can fill both roles, with a little creative marketing, sometimes not. Java developers write java and unfortunately, regardless of the quality of that java (and there are significant disparities), if a java developer is required a java developer will be hired and the wage will be for a java developer... with little regard given to essentially irrelevant experience..

Just looking at your other post any integration between systems could be highlighted in CV in order to go for a role with a bit more prestige than java developer. Esp with 6 years experience you could be looking at moving into some kind of Architectural Role. You should find that although there are less contracts (lots of normal jobs) the rate is higher.

Just my €0.02

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭CraggyIslander

agencies take around 25% of any contract. So if you're getting 300 then the company youre working for is actually paying them 400 or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

any agencies i've worked for added around 11 - 12% on top of my daily rate

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Agencies dont take away from your salary. they generally receive 10-12% from the company you are subcontracted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 zaphod_ie

I've heard from a few people that 400 is now almost the going rate for somebody with decent experience.. but they seem to be talking about people with Struts or other web app stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement