Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vaio won't boot

• 20-07-2006 6:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

I bought a used Vaio through boards 2 weeks ago and since tuesday night it just won't boot (it's a Vaio PCG-GRT895MP).

It was working fine for first week and a half, suffered no knocks or bumps but suddenly it wouldn't boot up at all.
    When i say it won't boot up I mean that when you turn it on the green power light comes on, fan starts, CD spin if there's a cd in but nothing appears on screen.
    I conected it up to an external monitor but no joy so it looks like its not the screen.

I tried removing the battery and booting it off AC adapter but no joy. Battery appears to charge OK and I've let is discharge completely and recharge before trying to boot but no joy.

Anyone had any similar experiences with a Vaio or any other Laptop ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Remove _everything - discs, AC adaptor, battery. Press and hold down the power button for 10 seconds. Boot on AC only(There is an LED on the adaptor,right?). If that fails: uh oh spaghettios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

From your description it sounds like the ram may have become faulty.Check on the under side of the laptop is there a cover for the memory bay,if so unscrew the cover and see is there one or two sticks of ram installed.If theres two sticks take one out at a time and see does the unit power back up ok,if it does you found the offending bad stick of ram.If you cantdo this or it doesnt work it maybe something more serious,ie motherboard or processor but hopefully its just ram as this is easily replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Instructions on how to remove the ram are on the same website - www.vaio-link.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

majiktripp wrote:
    From your description it sounds like the ram may have become faulty.Check on the under side of the laptop is there a cover for the memory bay,if so unscrew the cover and see is there one or two sticks of ram installed.If theres two sticks take one out at a time and see does the unit power back up ok,if it does you found the offending bad stick of ram.

Cheers for that Majiktripp, it was indeed the RAM. Have removed the offending stick and will get it replaced.

Anyone remember the name of that memory crowd down in kildare ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

>>>
    If you cantdo this or it doesnt work it maybe something more serious,ie motherboard or processor
    <<<<
    wahhh!! i think this is definitely the case with my Sony Vaio PCG laptop. A month after the warranty expired, the laptop would no longer power up anymore and i did all the checks with the battery, adapter , RAM etc so it has to be something to do with the motherboard or processor. Has anyone ever has this kind of problem or can someone advise me what to do in order to get this sorted as i paid quite a lot for this laptop?? i have a bad feeling that sending it to SONY will only result in a massive bill to replace the motherboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

looks like motherboard, cost of a new one with sony is more than €800, i remeber seeing their prices on that website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

so basically i now have a wonderful sony vaio paperweight worth €1500!! thanks sony!!! last time i ever buy anything from them.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

looks like motherboard, cost of a new one with sony is more than €800, i remeber seeing their prices on that website

Have a look at eBay...I was looking for a new power adapter for mine and see a few mobos advertised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

defo shop around, im sure you can get it repaired yourself for around €200, the only thing is that you have to install a differnet OS and will loose your OEM sony software. but i think you could live with that considering the savings that youll have

• Advertisement
Advertisement