Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cant reload windows 2k

• 20-07-2006 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi there, im having some very strange problems here!:( I have a Dell Latitude LS which I installed Windows 2k onto. Everything has been running perfectly until I tried to defragment the drive today. I left it running and went away, after about an hour i came back to see it at the opening page (where the blue progress meter is on the screen along with the Windows 2000 logo). It seemed to have frozen mid way through the progress meter, and after about 10 mins i switched off the laptop by pressing the power button. I then turned it back on and came as far as this screen again.
    This time the progress meter loaded fully, but straight after, the computer restarted!:mad: This continued in a circle until I eventually switched off the computer. I then decided to reload windows 2k. (Which I had done twice before). I formatted the hard drive and installed Windows, when it asked me to enter the product key I entered it, but it's now telling me it's not a valid key, even though it's the one I have used all along!!:confused::confused: I have since installed Windows 98, which worked, but I need windows 2k for a few of my programs. So i tried again to install it, and it's still telling me the product key is invalid! Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

If the key worked first time it will DEFINITELY work the second time round. If not check you’re typing the right characters in correctly.

Also why are you defragging a drive you just installed?? Makes no sense at all.

Thirdly have you loaded any drivers before the computer started to loop into a reboot…..sounds like a driver issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

No no sorry, I didnt just install it, I've had 2000 running on it a few months now. I really cant understand why it's not going in. I've tried it at least 20 times. I got the CD off a friend after he upgraded to XP so maybe it's dodgy i dunno. But it worked the first time which is what's baffling me! I think im just gonna leave it and put 98 back on it.
    Thanks for the suggestions cableguy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ianwalsh2 wrote:
    No no sorry, I didnt just install it, I've had 2000 running on it a few months now. I really cant understand why it's not going in. I've tried it at least 20 times. I got the CD off a friend after he upgraded to XP so maybe it's dodgy i dunno. But it worked the first time which is what's baffling me! I think im just gonna leave it and put 98 back on it.
    Thanks for the suggestions cableguy.
    Wrong answer,
    you must get the license too and the COA with the serial number.
    AND it can't be an OEM copy as that is locked to his hardware.

If you had it installed earlier it was probably a different release of 2k with different serial numbers.

You had the benefit of the doubt because it's a PIII laptop and might have shipped with 2K - read the stickies - this forum is about software you own.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement