Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How you would change application process?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

impressive reply!
    i reckon the price of the airgun licence should be brought in line with the shotgun vermin cost,or else consider letting younger shooters get airguns on a starter licence.
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

... What I would like to see is addition or clarification on the deact situation that you could hold a collectors liscense for multiple firearms of a certain type,and are building a collection of paticular historic and culturel value.

By this I mean you collect a specific type of gun IE Lugers.But you can only collect Lugers and derivatives of them.Not suddenly decide on AKs.You have to prove you are a bonafide collector and knowledgeable on the specific gun.
    This is a German idea that is pretty workable.This is for live weapons BTW

Deacts bring this into line with the EU.A properly Deacted weapon is nothing more than an expensive,awkward,hi tech club! You should be able to buy this liscense with a once off fee with no bother once you made an application to the Gardai,and they are satisfied you are not a post office blagger,fresh out of the Joy...

Yes, I would be very much in favour of that! At the moment I don't have problems with collecting deact historical weapons. I buy the deact somewhere in Europe, usually online, get the serial number and deactivation procedures carried out on the weapon, apply for the Article 7 Authority at my local Garda Station and once I get this I send a copy to the seller to include in the parcel. He/she then sends the deactivated weapon over to me, I inform my local Garda Station that it has arrived and the Firearms Licensing Officer checks the deact procedures on the weapon.

Best,
    Preusse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I worked with mental health patients in Australia, often patients would telll you they planned to kill or harm themselves or others.

We were obliged to fill out a report that went straight to the police firearms office.

I had no problem with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Thanks for the replies folks , plenty of stuff to work with.

Lots of room for improvement in the system and at dealer/ shooter level.

....to give an example, went to a dealer who I've never been to , got 1000 rounds high velocity .22, pulled out my licences, and dealer says "your all right, I dont bother with those for the small stuff!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

mcguiver wrote:
    Thanks for the replies folks , plenty of stuff to work with.

Lots of room for improvement in the system and at dealer/ shooter level.

....to give an example, went to a dealer who I've never been to , got 1000 rounds high velocity .22, pulled out my licences, and dealer says "your all right, I dont bother with those for the small stuff!!"

and what is it your moaning about .. if he didnt sell them to you you would be moaning about that ...

• Advertisement

and what is it your moaning about .. if he didnt sell them to you you would be moaning about that ...

???????? I must be missing something here ???

"Moaning" ... or more aptly, commenting... that they should check my licence and every other shooters each time we buy ammo.

Irresponsible dealing will just bring more bad press on our sport/hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

mcguiver wrote:

Irresponsible dealing will just bring more bad press on our sport/hobby.

completely agree

Irresponsible dealing will just bring more bad press on our sport/hobby.[/QUOTE]

yeah and you telling everyone wont help either ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

yeah and you telling everyone wont help either?
    Yes it will because it'll stop it.
    If dealers think that they can't do that, they won't do that.

yeah sparks thats fine but what if you have to travel to get your ammo. or some people find it easier/cheaper to buy a couple of boxes ... did mcguiver still purchase the ammo or did he give it back and voice his disgust (did he ****)....so its ok for him to break the law having more than hes allowed to hold but its not ok for the dealer ???

• Advertisement

what if you have to travel to get your ammo. or some people find it easier/cheaper to buy a couple of boxes
    Nothing wrong with that, just get the local garda to increase the limit on your licence. Most (read over 90%) will, when you explain why, and especially if you've somewhere secure to store them (cheap safe from Argos/Woodies for €20 would do the job really).
    so its ok for him to break the law having more than hes allowed to hold but its not ok for the dealer ???
    Of course not.

so now can you see why i said mcguiver was moaning and it was a bad idea to post about the dealer .. do you really think if you say it to the dealer that he will stop ??

and i suppose you could ask the fo to increase your limit .. whats the most ever allowed (has anyone got a 1000 limit) ??? you must know sparks a 100 limit is'nt a lot . if your shooting a target 100 rounds would be gone in less than an hour ??

whats the most ever allowed (has anyone got a 1000 limit) ??? you must know sparks a 100 limit is'nt a lot . if your shooting a target 100 rounds would be gone in less than an hour ??
    Yup. Most of the serious olympic guys would have limits over 10,000 rounds, both because they shoot so much and because they get batch-tested ammo which has to be bought in lots of 10,000 rounds or more.

Sparks wrote:
    Yup. Most of the serious olympic guys would have limits over 10,000 rounds, QUOTE]

:eek: 10,000. jesus i could imagine the face on my fo if i applied for that much :D

the hunter wrote:
    Sparks wrote:
    Yup. Most of the serious olympic guys would have limits over 10,000 rounds,
    :eek: 10,000. jesus i could imagine the face on my fo if i applied for that much :D
    That'd be 10,000 rounds of .22lr or air pellets now hunter, not .223 or .220 swift :D

Sparks wrote:
    That'd be 10,000 rounds of .22lr or air pellets now hunter, not .223 or .220 swift :D

Do you get bulk discounts for buying that amount?

I wouldn't have the space to store it myself

Sparks wrote:

ok .. mine is a .22lr still dont think id be allowed that much ...:D

Vegeta wrote:
    Do you get bulk discounts for buying that amount?
    Ha!
    No, but it does work out cheaper because of shipping and other cost reductions. Plus, you have to buy from the factory (you batch test at the factory), so you don't have the markup from the dealers and such.
    I wouldn't have the space to store it myself
    For air or .22, it's not that much space, surprisingly.

whats the limit on your licence sparks ??

For me it's just the standard hunter, I don't have batch tested ammo yet.

• Advertisement

are you into the air guns too

Yup. (there's a note on my air rifle licence allowing for a thousand rounds there actually, because the tins of air pellets have 500 rounds in them)

yeah i thought that .. you would be wasting your time with the air rifle with a 100 round limit . and i bet even though u have a 1000 limit at times you still dont have enough ....

so in a round about off topic way we have come back on topic.

More ammo on the license please :D

Just for the record
    I did buy the ammo
    Its well within my ammo limit, so I didnt break the law.
    I did have words with the dealer...

But I think your right Hunter, I doubt it will change his way of doing things.

And I'd rather have the dealer operating responsibly rather than losing his permit and effecting all his customers.

Vegeta wrote:
    so in a round about off topic way we have come back on topic.

More ammo on the license please :D

:D:D

Its well within my ammo limit, so I didnt break the law.

?? whats your limit
    how come you can have so much ????

1500 rounds.
    Fairly decent firearms officer I deal with, wrote a letter to him a few years ago explaining that I take part in competitions, and having a couple of hundred rounds wouldn't be practical travelling from home etc.

1st year they automatically give you 100, but after that there's no harm asking.

I know lots of people who have a much higher limit.

Advertisement