Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDTV which one????

• 20-07-2006 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

So im confused want a HDTV for around Eur 1500 and want a 37 inch one , seen a LG one in Dixons but what should I look for re: features and is LCD better than Plazma for vise versa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

First of all, it if doesne't have a HDMI socket, it's already obsolete.

As for Plasma VS LCD, there's no conclusive argument in favor of either.

Some say Plasma screens have a half life - IE over time they fade.

LCDs on the the other hand are said to have problems with 'true blacks'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

xanthor wrote:
    First of all, it if doesne't have a HDMI socket, it's already obsolete.

DVI and HDMI are completely interchangable.

What is required for HDTV is HDCP over the HDMI or DVI socket.

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

The only difference between HDMI and DVI is the fact that DVI does not carry sound.

Some people dont care about this matter as they would be using an external amp for surround sound.

LCD's and plasma have their pros and cons like anything else.

Plasma is only available in 42" up (bar a few exceptions of smaller ones I've seen online)
    It has a better contrast ratio and response time.
    Can suffer from image retension (screen burn) ie: the red button icon some people suffered from.
    Does not have as brighter colours than an LCD.

LCD is available in anysize, but HDTV sets are from 26" up.
    Brighters colours.
    Less contrast ratio than plasma, (this is improving as time goes on).
    Can suffer from slight image banding.
    Some cases have been reported of Temporary Image Retention (TIR). This is a problem with all LCD's
    Response time is higher than a plasma, (average of 8ms).
    Can suffer from a dead pixel. This can or cannot be cured, it depends on the pixel. There are cases of pixels becoming unstuck over time.
    LCD's use less electricity to run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If the HDMI source is protected with HDCP, i.e. a HDDVD, then the audio is only available throught the HDMI connector I think. This means you will need an A/V device with HDMI pass through. The audio is extracted from the HDCP HDMI source and the video is passed on through to the display device.

I think I read somewhere that there must be a continuous link to the display device or the system stops. So the signal path must be continuous from source to display via audio device, two outputs can't be used for example one to display and another to A/V.

This is my understanding of the HDCP HDMI interface. Anyone else have a different version ?

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭aersat

Dellas

Try and get one with built in Digital and Analogue Terrestrial Tuners or else you will need a seperate decoder box when the digital technology becomes available here.

Aersat;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

aersat wrote:
    Dellas

Try and get one with built in Digital and Analogue Terrestrial Tuners or else you will need a seperate decoder box when the digital technology becomes available here.

Aersat;)

Or...don't bother if you plan on buying another TV within 50 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭dam099

aersat wrote:
    Dellas

Aersat;)

While there is some speculation about the UK freeview boxes working for the DTT trials (or part thereof) until a commercial system is announced there is no guarantee that any Digital Terrestial Tuner you buy will even work with the Irish system (if there is ever one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

aersat wrote:
    Dellas

Aersat;)

Do they do them with both?

From all the specs I have, I assumed they were either one or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Not getting into a LCD V Plasma debate, as the person with LCD will say LCD, the person with Plasma will say plasma. I have both and prefer my Projector, so go figure.

Like any TV, see it with your own eyes before making up your mind. See what your budget buys you and then make your decision based on that, not the fact of whether its LCD or Plasma as their are pro's and con's of both.

But just to clear up:
    Plasma's are available in 37" and upwards

Advertisement