Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest sattalite broadband

• 20-07-2006 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭

I live in a remote area of Co.Louth and I cant get wireless or normal Broadband and am at the point of giving up . My only hope is sattalite broadband but I cant afford crazy prices, anyone know a cheap way to get it???? Or if anyone knows any other ways to get any kind of broadband please let me know

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

Hello,

Satelite broadband isn't the cheapest anywhere..

http://www.mediasat.ie/pricing.htm

Ring them and ask them what there cheapest solution might be. If you google for Satellite Broadband in Ireland you'll get a list of different companies to try similar.

You could check if anyone might be providing wireless in your area.

In some places where there are large housing estates, for example, if you get enough people to say they'd use broadband you might get the local exchange upgraded quicker

Sky offer a Broadband download service but you have to use a modem for uploads.
    http://www.teles-skydsl.com/?domain=ie

You could also check if any cable tv companies are around your area. They also provide broadband e.g. Chorus

osmethod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭collie1

I wouldnt go down the road of sattelite if I was you. The latency issue will always be there. I was in the same boat as you but I never stopped looking and now I have wireless. All ill say to you is dont go with sattelite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Steer clear of sat. This topic might be of interest to you. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054945911

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Hey Dellas, I am in the same situation as you (and probably will continue to be forever) in that I live in a remote area of Carlow without DSL broadband (well, I don't qualify by 2km as I live 6km from an enabled exchange). All I can say is, steer clear of Satellite broadband, it's just not worth it for your average home users like ourselves on a cost/benefit ratio. For the price you'll pay getting it installed/monthly fees/jokes of download caps you'll be wishing you never got it..

Anyway, if you do decide to get it, you've two choices, one way satellite (using the satellite for download purposes only, still having to use your 56k modem/ISDN line for uploads so the Internet will function for you) which you can get from someone like www.crosscountrybroadband.ie. Your other choice is two way satellite from someone like www.digiweb.ie which is as above except the satellite will also handle the uploading so your modem/ISDN wouldn't be needed (but this is serious, serious money, check their site for their ransom no.. I mean prices).

Satellite broadband is a joke though to be honest, the cost, the download limitations and most of all, the bloody latency issues make it a product which I don't agree with being classed as broadband, if you're anyway like me and want to play games across the net, don't even think about it with expected pings of up to 5000-6000ms which is all due to down to the distance your signal has to travel, leaving your computer, floating off into space, bouncing back etc.

To be honest mate, if you have to get something better than dial up for the time being, I'd sooner get ISDN. You say you live in Louth, well I wouldn't be surprised if you eventually did get offered wireless broadband, things actually happen/get done in your part of the country, it's places like rural Carlow that get and stay forgotten in terms of development. ****ing Government, broadband should be a universal service, not a luxury rolled out only to cities and large towns, what is their excuse anymore when there's 100% coverage in N.I. and there's certainly some extremely rural and remote places up there.. there is no excuse, only the "Ah sure" motto that runs deep in this Government.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Laguna wrote:
    avoid them lads

see maybe this thread on one way sats with dialup for the uplink. There are other threads of course. 'Good' (I am being ironic here) one way systems come and go all the time .

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50376007#post50376007
    To be honest mate, if you have to get something better than dial up for the time being, I'd sooner get ISDN. You say you live in Louth, well I wouldn't be surprised if you eventually did get offered wireless broadband, things actually happen/get done in your part of the country,
    or it leaks across that border maybe ??
    it's places like rural Carlow that get and stay forgotten in terms of development. ****ing Government, broadband should be a universal service, not a luxury rolled out only to cities and large towns, what is their excuse anymore when there's 100% coverage in N.I. and there's certainly some extremely rural and remote places up there.. there is no excuse, only the "Ah sure" motto that runs deep in this Government.
    you could email minister@dcmnr.ie and see what the great Dempsey thinks he can do for you .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you are online a lot but without a lot of downloads you can easily spend more on dialup + one way satellite than two way.

Either get ISDN, use a geo number and weekend /evening calls with a 3rd party CPS for 1hr free per call or go two way. A basic Two way is probabily over 100 Euro a month and expensive install, no good for VOIP/Skype etc.

At this stage DSL rollout is slowing down, but Wireless broadband rollout may even pickup in the Autumn, so don't despair.

Even flat rate 3G data is cheaper now than two way satellite, though it can be not much faster than dialup.

Advertisement