Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

diving licence

• 20-07-2006 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

i was just wondering how do you go about geting a diving licence???.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

I see you live in Tralee, your best bet is to contact Ronnie/Sandra in Waterworld, Castlegregory 7139292 about doing a PADI Open Water course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tyther

thanks very much,ill do that in the next couple of days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tyther

any way i went to the waterworld website and the padi course costs about €499

Welcome to PADI

Pay And Dive Immediately......................:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

Theres a few places in and around the Kerry area. Waterworld are excellent, I did my IDC there and an EFRI course too.

Ta,

Eoin.
    www.scuba.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

yeah, with padi you pretty much pay to get your licence. crap all training until you start more advanced stuff. i'd recommend you try and find a club, learning through the CMAS system if possible. clubs are a much cheaper and more social way of learning, usually with a stronger emphasis on proper training safety and general knowledge about diving. unless of course you just want to say you're a diver and know feck all about it *shrug*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

Seraphina wrote:
    yeah, with padi you pretty much pay to get your licence. crap all training until you start more advanced stuff. i'd recommend you try and find a club, learning through the CMAS system if possible. clubs are a much cheaper and more social way of learning, usually with a stronger emphasis on proper training safety and general knowledge about diving. unless of course you just want to say you're a diver and know feck all about it *shrug*

What absolute rubbish....I belong to a non-CMAS club and can personally stand by the high training standards of every one of our students.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CJX-3X12

Seraphina wrote:
    yeah, with padi you pretty much pay to get your licence. crap all training until you start more advanced stuff.QUOTE]

I think it's important to note this point. The open water doesn't teach you much so to get qualified to a decent level you need to get to at least Rescue Diver level. How much is that going to cost you?

OP, I would recommend doing a try-a-dive with waterworld and if you enjoy it then consider joining a cmas club. Check out

http://www.cftclub.com/scubaireland/south_west.htm

for clubs in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Well after going thru the CMAS in the 80s and the club thing,it's fine if you like; Spending one week night a week swimming in a pool practising breath diving.[2] doing alot of snorkel diving to get to a point before you can even touch scuba gear.[3]Doing five or more snorkel dives a year before you can use your scuba gear.[4]Doing a stringent medical before you can even snorkel dive at all.[5] Well,if you are into club social scenes,with all their inbuilt bitching and moaning,cliques etc etc.Fine if it is the local darts club,but not in a situation where your life depends on your buddy assisting you,irrespective if he/she has just had a major snit about things on the comittiee,or the elites[monituers] sodding off on the club boat to some do and leaving a bunch of trainee divers who were to do their club diver test dive high and dry so to speak.In fairness yes CMAS is more intensive and detailed,but to a point of absolute academia??The laws of physics apply wether your PADI,CMAS or BSAC.Ditto how to use equipment etc.
    I hate to say it but it always seems to come to this one point here in Ireland,keep the others out at all costs,make as much out of your own as possible,andrun all others down.This doesnt just apply to diving but all sport arts I have ever done in Ireland.So thats why I rarely do get involved anymore in clubs or organisations here anymore. My 2 cents worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

I've had all types of divers that should not have certification - Bsac,Cmas and PADI. It all comes down to the individual in the end and what they want to get from diving.

If you are looking to Dive in ireland i'd recommend CMAS as they have a good club orientation to them, PADI is great for worldwide diving as most foreign dive centres will be PADI and there will be no need for conversion dives to see what your capabilities are.

I did both and personally speaking I enjoyed the PADI more as CMAS was far to intensive for what I wanted (and i'm not talking about laws of physics)

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Scuba.ie wrote:
    Put your brain in gear before typing!
    If you disagree then voice your opinion but personal attacks such as this are not necessary and may result in intervention. Before that happens I suggest you read the forum charter and learn to keep your cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭smcmullan

As you know Phil I understand the need to keep board admins life easy by not causing a ruckus however I've got to sympathise with Eoin.

One tends to get weary of all this anti-PADI sentiment. I've heard it all before over the last few years. My conclusion was that the divers who expressed these opinions the most vociferously usually illustrated nothing more than their own lack of experience.

I've trained with CFT, SSI, PADI, TDI and BSAC and they all have their good and bad points to their systems. Beyond that there exist good and bad instructors/clubs/commercial centres within each system. I find it ignorant to badmouth one particular system in such a general fashion.

Bottom line is that its great to have all these choices for training to suit an individuals disposition, time availability and wallet. However I believe that a diver is only as good as the amount of effort they are willing to put into the sport and to be aware of their own ambitions and where limitations exist to self improve.

This is the quarterly CFT vs PADI bitching match........one more due before Xmas........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I did my PADI in CastleGregory 2 months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I wanted to learn how to dive quickly becuase my schedule can't gaurantee the time needed to join a club. It mightn't make me God's gift to diving but it was fun.

Advertisement