Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB in the toilet again

• 21-07-2006 1:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

Well after my customary 2 months of good service IBB has gone ga ga on me again. It started Tuesday with the odd disconection from gaming servers and the odd 30 min outage in the day time but my dload speeds were good so I thought they were just working on it. Same was happening yesterday. Tonight its gone to hell, Thursday night is uasually bad but I was getting pings of 29 for 50 sec then for 10 sec it was at like 1000. Every min or so this was happening. I was even getting droped off servers as a result. Im going to ring them tomorrow but I wont be going through the uasual story of waiting 2 months for them to fix it oh no, I now have an alternitave. My Bro who is also on IBB baught a clearwire box, he lives on the south side and it works for him. He brought it over to me in D15 and it works for me too. So they only have a week to sort it or im going to clear wire onece and for all. IBB have been reall bad the 18 months or so ive been with them and have had enough now.

BTW im in D15 on the atrium and my Bro is in D14 on the RTE mast, he seems to be working fine tonight so it could just be an Artium issue, or just A northside thing. Any one else getting problems?

I`ll be calling them tomorrow see what that achieves.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I'm on RTE mast and no prob. Prefect connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I know my Bro is on it also and rearly gets problems.

A mate of mine rang me from Fingals to tell me his IBB was dead he couldent even get xfire to sign in so he had to ring me to let me know. Seems to be only a north side thing. if yer on the north side ya have a better chance of getting a Luas some where usefull then getting a good IBB connection.

I did some ping tests today and was getting 12& packet loss and an average ping of 344 and yet some pings were like 30 in those 100 pings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm on the Ballycoolin mast. Over the last 4 weeks I've had random disconnects which resulted in XP constantly telling me a cable was unplugged. Sometimes it would be rock solid for 2 hours and then become non functional for the rest of the night.

IBB claim it's the modem now that it's down completely and were quick to send me out a new one once I mentioned it to them, we'll see if that sorts the issues.

Where's NTL when you need them? :(

YEah well clearwire works in some parts of Blanch so i might just go down that road.

I was also getting those random dissconnects over the last month and rock solid for 2 hours and I just put up with it but not my net is unuasable for gaming.

I rang them and they told me they recieved my ping tests and trace routes and that second level were looking at it already. I asked they guy on the phone how long it would be and he said a few days. My expierence of previous problems suggests they comfuse the word days with weeks, we shall see.

I take it back. This new modem seems to be working wonders, unless of course I'm just getting one of those "good times" and it's not the modem at fault at all.

• Advertisement

You are using the ripwave then ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Tbh Spooky id get smart bb if you can get it free line rental for life

i heard that was a scam and that they dont plan to come to blanch and I dont want a land line anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Spooky don't think that IBB is any use ! would your recommend it to a friend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

Limerick/ Clarion Hotel mast is almost dead since yesterday as well

• Advertisement

You are using the ripwave then ?
    No, Breeze 2meg

Then how come yer using a modem? Unless you mean yer POE box, witch is only a box that supplies power to youre ariel over the ether net cable.

Anyway I take it back what I said about my good download speeds im getting like 10k right now, about twice dial up. So much for IBB trying to clean up their image, how many weeks till this problem gets sorted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

pretty sh1t spooky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

download 3 or 4kB,upload hovering around the 600kB mark

as before i can still get decent nntp downloads, if a little inconsistent
    - 5 kB then 200KB and so on.
    /edit,
    2 meg breeze - baldoyle mast

Yeah.. I mean the little black box .. not the modem.

Anyhows, connections gone again now so it proberly wasn't the box and now I'm connected via 3G through Bluetooth / Nokia 6234.

IBB don't open on weekends! FFS!

Open from 10am to 4pm on sat, sun and public holidays.

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/support/contact.php

@irlrobins
    Odd, the automated voice on the line said 10-8 (I think it was 10..) Mon-Fri. Anyhows, missed the boat anyway :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

Hi folks

I signed up for the 2MB package last week (was very pleased with the 1MB breeze package before that, with speeds of 120 - 180kbps, increased to 230 - 270kbps after the upgrade). Since yesterday my download speed has dropped to <=10kbps with uploads around 60kbps. I'm on the Ballymount mast.

Is this a general IBB problem, or have they just throttled (severely) my bandwidth?

Lpfsox wrote:
    Is this a general IBB problem, or have they just throttled (severely) my bandwidth?

IBB don't throttle. So problem with your connection. Give em a call! ;) And ring everyday!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i find most of the staff in ibb to be complete unhelpful tools tbh.

• Advertisement

Red Alert wrote:
    i find most of the staff in ibb to be complete unhelpful tools tbh.
    yep, true. Certainly the first line people are thick as shit. No proper trouble shooting technique. Poor call logging, etc.

In fairness, the customer services manager should be fired. How he/she can honestly say they have a decent standard of customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

I'm on the Clarion mast in Limerick and the poor DL/UL speed & high packet loss has been a prob since Thursday.

Considering IBB aren't signing up anymore ppl in Limerick and their recent quality of service, it feels like they're actively trying to lose customers here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

Jilm wrote:
    I'm on the Clarion mast in Limerick and the poor DL/UL speed & high packet loss has been a prob since Thursday.

it seems to be working again. we here in the office are back to full speed.

IB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nazthing

Inge Binge wrote:
    it seems to be working again. we here in the office are back to full speed.

IB

Still experincing issues on the Limerick Mast here.

Well I have good download speed the odd time now but no upload witch is leading to a lot of packet loss. I think im looking at another 8 weeks till they fix it. thats what uasually happens. I`ll ring them again today. I dont think the 1st line support are usless just powerless, im sure they know there is nothing they can do the problems are with their infastructure. Its not like they can fix my problem and not yours they are all the same problem and will all get fixed at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

well I am connected via a borrowed clearwire box which is the equalivant to rippoff wave and it is currently better then the Ibb breeze connection we have.
    Hell a dail up connection would be better as all we are getting on the ibb connection is about 10 k dl and no upload.
    I can just about dl email can't connect to thier stmp mail, can't view webpages :(
    There is ment to be someone calling out tomorrow... so we will see what happens next.

Well a week after calling them im getting a call out here is fingers crossed. I think it may well be a problem with the equipment though as I was getting a high ping on the forst hop of a trace route so the ariel may be failing, shall see what happens later on today.

If equipment seems ok, ask them to give you a new ip address in a different range. I had a prob a while back with a connection that was slower than dialup. Couldn't do anything.

They thought that the problem was with equipment and that I had lost LOS. Which was complete crap as house is on a hill and I'm on the RTE mast. Could hit it with a stone.

Anyway, engineers came, were puzzled as my signal was perfect. Eventually they gave me a new ip address in a different range and vóila, perfect signal. The guys couldn't explain why my original ip fails, but the new one works so I won't complain.

Anyway, ask them to try a new ip addres if all else fails. Can't do any harm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Lordy

IBB has been woeful the last couple of days. It was fine for a few weeks (oddly coinciding with the sunshine), but for the last two days, its been terrible, the connection will only hold for a few seconds at a time then drop.

Now I'm out at the very edge of the service area in Drumcondra, but at the moment its ridiculous. I take it though most northsiders are having issues yes?

Advertisement