Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB in the toilet again

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Lordy wrote:
    IBB has been woeful the last couple of days. It was fine for a few weeks (oddly coinciding with the sunshine), but for the last two days, its been terrible, the connection will only hold for a few seconds at a time then drop.

Now I'm out at the very edge of the service area in Drumcondra, but at the moment its ridiculous. I take it though most northsiders are having issues yes?

Problem with the Northside is :- most masts have radio feeds back to Tallaght, and not fiber, hence lots of jumps throught already bussy masts causing packet loss and sh1t service

Soutside has fibre from RTE and Tallagh (the mains base) and tends to very little hops to the main DNS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

irlrobins wrote:
    If equipment seems ok, ask them to give you a new ip address in a different range. I had a prob a while back with a connection that was slower than dialup. Couldn't do anything.

Anyway, engineers came, were puzzled as my signal was perfect. Eventually they gave me a new ip address in a different range and vóila, perfect signal. The guys couldn't explain why my original ip fails, but the new one works so I won't complain.

Anyway, ask them to try a new ip addres if all else fails. Can't do any harm!

Well i got a new IP address after major problem no. 3 that ive had ( im on about 5 now ).
    Anyway the engineer came out got my webpages working faster and got me a better signal to the ariel. But the problem I rang for the major packet loss he could do nothing about and said the equipment was fine and that packet loss was at IBB`s end. He did improve it a lot though and I can almost play online now and I now have uploads witch i had lost. Speeds are not great around 50-100k on my 2 meg line but I dont care about speed. I may ring them again on monday but i`ll give the weekend see how it pans out.

Im thinking of downgrading to the 1 meg line cheaper and I dont need the speed and I wont be feeling as riped off when its not working. Has any one else managed to downgrade their package with IBB? I think i would notice less problems on the slower speeds also. Failing that I may just got digiweb.

Well all day Saturday it went fine. If it is fixed I dont think it was the call out that did it cause this happpened 2 days after the call out. I shall see how t holds up today.

So after 3 weeks and 3 phone call and 1 call out this is what im still getting with IBB

Ping statistics for 217.146.92.74:
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 92, Lost = 8 (8% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 41ms, Maximum = 1798ms, Average = 128ms

At least I only have 5 more weeks till its fixed, well it normally takes about 2 months for em to sort it so thats my current estimate.

I do have some good news though Digi web`s metro is comming to D15 in about 6 weeks time, at leat i`ll have an alternitave then and its good Bye IBB fixed or not.

Edit: here is another example where it got worse a little later

Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 90, Lost = 10 (10% loss),
    Minimum = 39ms, Maximum = 3044ms, Average = 266ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 90, Lost = 10 (10% loss),
    Minimum = 39ms, Maximum = 3044ms, Average = 266ms
    Good times! I remember them well. I have to say, i'm very happy with my metro. Ok, occasionally it blips down to slow speeds, but we're talking 100kB/sec as being slow, not 10kB/sec.

Packets: Sent = 69, Received = 68, Lost = 1 (1% loss),
    Minimum = 23ms, Maximum = 44ms, Average = 37ms

I think you can ignore the lost packet. My wireless connection drops one packet pretty much exactly every 4 minutes, i think thats the packet :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Stibman

Yea im on Irish **** Band and its the biggest load of crap EVER!
    as soon as my contract is tru im dumpin them couse it is just beyond a joke at this stage i feel likt just troin me comp out the window u would not belive the amount of mouses ive gone tru tryin to play BF2 online with ISB (Irish **** Band) :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Mines been going the last few days, always around 10'clock. Same as above lovely pings, then bam 1000+ms then back to lovely pings.

well i rang them and got told im gettin another call out , perhaps to move me to another high site, heres hopin that sorts it out.

At least the hold times a short these days.

Spoooky here is the name of anther company :- Digiweb
    Number :- 1800 28 58 28 (and its freephone!)

You are far to patient!! fcuk IBB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Lordy wrote:
    Now I'm out at the very edge of the service area in Drumcondra, but at the moment its ridiculous. I take it though most northsiders are having issues yes?

Nope. I'm on the airport mast. Haven't had an issue yet. Touch wood. Spooky, you are too patient. Give them an ultimatum. If they're not providing the service I presume it shouldn't be too hard to get out of the contract.

There are other guys on these forums that seem to have problems for months. How do you stick it? If my broadband goes belly up for me they'll have about a week to fix it. 90% of my usage is personal but 10% is work so I couldn't afford to be messing about for months.

• Advertisement

No im not patient, I just have no alterniteve atm. I dont want a phone so im waiting for digi web to be ready. Im already outa my contract. So I just have to wait.

Im getting my call out tomorrow but i dont think there is a problem with my ariel. Today at lunch time I played for an hour and there wasent a packet lost it was great. Pings were a little high arounf the 70 mark, but playable. I normally get a 30 ish ping.

Right so got my second call out where they moved the sector for me and little seems to have change. This problem seems to be getting worse infact. im getting beteen 40-50% packet loss today. Yesterday it was like 1% so I thought it was getting better. If it can be ok some days and bad others it has to be the fault of IBBs network. Below was the worst of my tests of 200 pings instead of the uasual 100 I normally do. I`ll be mailing all my pings in to tech support again now for the third time. My connection is not at this poor level for 3 weeks now and counting.

C:\Documents and Settings\spooky>ping -n 200 217.146.92.74
    Packets: Sent = 200, Received = 100, Lost = 100 (50% loss),
    Minimum = 33ms, Maximum = 4479ms, Average = 170ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Got my IBB mast fixed on Friday. It had stopped working right at all ..

I'm on Ballycoolin mast.

Here's what I'm getting now to that IP you tried. It's a load of ****e, but at least it's ****ing working again!
        Packets: Sent = 200, Received = 195, Lost = 5 (2% loss),
        Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 1611ms, Average = 61ms

Here's another to irishbroadband.ie
    Ping statistics for 87.192.100.163:
        Packets: Sent = 200, Received = 198, Lost = 2 (1% loss),
        Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 1525ms, Average = 46ms

to google.ie
    Ping statistics for 66.102.9.147:
        Packets: Sent = 200, Received = 198, Lost = 2 (1% loss),
        Minimum = 37ms, Maximum = 1569ms, Average = 71ms

Thats not too bad there, I could live with that I supose. I was getting about 10 % packet loss today. I think it just depends on the day of the week. i`ll ring them again tomorrow its too late now.

This connection is crazy, last night I had to drop out of a clan match cause it was so bad and unplayable with about 20% packet loss and now this morning I get this.

Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = 54ms, Average = 31ms

It has to be on their network they cant cope when every one is at home and using their network.

Things are just going from bad to worse.
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 86, Lost = 14 (14% loss),
    Minimum = 26ms, Maximum = 4305ms, Average = 289ms

And that is after 2 call outs from them. 3 weeks of this and im loosing my patients. ANd I see all those adds for digi web there just to anoy me. Hurry up digi web and getin to D15 the fastest growing population area in Dublin. Theres loads of punters in D15 wanting to ditch IBB, I for one cant wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

IBB is pure dirt, I've had nothing but problems with them, I'm in D15 too and feel your pain. I got fed up with the same crap, yeah its all fixed now everthing should be fine, then problems, problems, problems.

I dumped IBB about 4 months ago and went with BT which are rock solid, good speed, low latency and all round top notch service. IBB Bye Bye, wouldn't recommend them as fair as I could throw them, steer clear anyone looking for broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Stibman

Holy S*** mi IBB just got worse now i cant even play BF2 if anyone reds this (DO NOT GET IBB) its crap servies is crap custemer supert is crap ther just plain crap:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Stibman wrote:
    Holy S*** mi IBB just got worse now i cant even play BF2 if anyone reds this (DO NOT GET IBB) its crap servies is crap custemer supert is crap ther just plain crap:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

so its no good? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

btw it will not be long before the new Digiweb mast in D15 and you can all take down your IBB ariels and use them as expeensive crocque bats on the village green!

well on sunday there I was getting 44% packet loss and an average ping of 800. I used to get a 200 ping with dial up back in the day. I rang them last week and asked them to get second line to email me some info. I got the uasual bull asking was I trying to use P2P software while im doing my ping tests and playing games. They know im not that stupid as to try that so Id say it just more of their delaying tatics that ive seen in the past.

By the time they get it fixed i`ll be able to get didiweb, must ring them today. A much more productive phone call than ringing IBB it will be.

• Advertisement

I got a call from their second level the other day. This guy did know what he was talking about to be fair to him At the time he called me the connection was behaving ok but while I was on the phone to him the packet lost got worse. This was at about 5pm. It seems I get little or no loss in the day time but onece it hits 7pm im getting this....

Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 78, Lost = 22 (22% loss),
    Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 4177ms, Average = 810ms

The guys in IBB seem to not see this happening so I dont know if they can really do anything. I keep emailing them more ping results but today im 4 weeks with this packet loss and its not getting any better.

Advertisement