Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese Voltage Convertor

Options
  • 21-07-2006 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

I got myself a Japanese DS lite in Tokyo recently and its been fantastic so far. Great battery life and looks etc. But one nagging concern I have is how to recharge it when I get back to Ireland. Japan operates as 100V whereas Ireland is 240V. On the back of the DS lite it expressly states that only a Japanese type charger can be used on the machine, so it looks like I need a converter.

Anyone have any tips on where I could get one online or where I could pick one up when I get back to Ireland?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

What does the charger state its input voltage is? Usually those things are all 100-240V these days. It's easy to get a 110V transformer but I've never seen a 100V version... Assuming the charger does take up to 240V, all you'll need is a shaver's adapter. Ireland's 230V, btw, but that's splitting hairs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Ya, my psp charger operates between 100-240 but the ds lite charger says 'input 100V'.

Im sure theres some type of convertor out there. A lot of people surely face the same problem importing electrics from Japan.

I agree with bedlam - you should be able to get a UK/Irl version of the adapter at somewhere like Smyths. I've no idea what kind of connector is the DS lite - is it a mini-USB connection? If so, it's possible that you might even be able to power it off of a Motorola RAZR phone charger, for example. As long as the input voltage into the DS lite is correct (5v? Again I'm guessing here), it doesn't matter what the mains input voltage is.

justfortherecor,

I had a search on the Net and I think I found what you need:

http://www.consolesandgadgets.co.uk/catalog/multivolt-adapter-lite-p-2338.html?whatsnew=Multivolt-AC-Adapter-DS-Lite-%5BUK%5D

And even cheaper on eBay (several different prices listed):
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NINTENDO-DS-LITE-100v-240v-AC-ADAPTER-POWER-CHARGER_W0QQitemZ250008644621QQihZ015QQcategoryZ91509QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It would save you looking for a 100V converter!

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Cheers Guys,

Great help there, The input voltage for the ds is 5v so I should be able to pick up the charger back in Ireland.

Once again cheers. (Bedlam: thanks for the links)

• Advertisement
Advertisement