Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st long cycle .. Need help

Options
  • 21-07-2006 4:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all...

Signed up to cycle from Dublin to Galway at the end of september.. Just got back on a bike for the first time in years..Need some help / tips if possible please..

Have just bought a giant XTC MTB do you think this will be suitable for such a long road trip? Should I change the tyres and get bars ??

Any good links to training plans / tips .. Like I say a bit rusty on the fitness just now ..

Any other info would be great ....

Cheers
    Kevin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I'm planning for something similar, and I've learned a few things about what might help

- with flat handlebars you're going to be limited in terms of different hand positions. This will get sore on palms and wrists. Maybe bar-ends could help, they're not expensive. Padded gloves?

- Your saddle better be comfortable over 50 miles or else you'll be sorry

- Cleat-style peddles or toeclips will help, as will tyres that have maximum rubber-to-road surface area. Knobbly tires wouldnt be great for this

- If you have front suspension forks, stiffen them up to minimise movement as this will waste energy on the roads, hills etc.

- Train for this, check out Google for links. One such I found here but check around.

- Make sure you bring what you need to fix a breakdown, or that someone will be on hand to sort this out. Flat tyres, broken cables etc

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Genghis

Don't neglect food on the bike, and fluids. The best you can hope for is 1.5hrs before you begin (as I believe it is termed) 'bonking'. This is when your body has used up all available carbs and is transitioning to fat burning. Trouble is, fat burning is less efficient, and you start to struggle, hallucinate, have psychological problems with keeping going, and frankly put yourself in danger.

Aim to graze on quality carbs every 15-20 minutes - bananas, flapjacks, fig rolls, even chocolate is all good. Also keep your water and sports drink topped up and sip every 10 minutes. If you are using a sports drink, just make sure you have used it in training - otherwise you risk getting sick on the big day.

Remember if you leave it until you feel thirsty or feel hungry you have left it too late. The secret is constant delivery of carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

bomber72 wrote:
    Should I change the tyres and get bars ??
    I would encourage changing tyres to road slicks. I use Continental Sport Contact 26x1.3 slicks when I commute on my mtn bike. Great puncture protection and fast. New tubes should come with the tyres. They should be around e30 each.

Thick padded shorts and good gloves would be good too. Don't forget to put two bottle cages onto your bike. Some good ones at Chain Reaction Cycles. I like the sound of the Topeak adjustable one.
    A friend mentioned a small pack he bought in CycleWays on Parnell St. It is designed for storing energy bars on your crossbar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MIKE C

Het bomber

buy a road bike , if you ride that distance in an upright position you will have to be surgically removed once you hit eyre square.
    Ask a mate if you can borrow one.

You have six weeks - plan a couple of 80 milers 3-4 weeks before the event and you should be OK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

was wondering what cycle you signed up to? as i'm quite interested in joining.

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ba wrote:
    was wondering what cycle you signed up to? as i'm quite interested in joining.
    I don't see it mentioned in this list of cycling events but you might find another one of interest. Lap The Lough (Neagh) is on Sunday 27th August up North. 140km, starting at 10am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bomber72

Thanks for all the advice..

The run is from Maynooth to Galway but just found out there is an overnight stop in Athlone so 2 day run .. Organised by Intel for the make a wish charity..
    Going by the info will definetly be changing the tyres on my bike . Better get started on that training plan..

Thanks again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Hey Bomber,

When is this event taking place and how where do you apply to take part. Cheers. Good Luck

Advertisement