Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punishment of Men and Women for Lewdness

• 21-07-2006 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi from the following link http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/004.qmt.html#004.003
    it gives three different scholars translations of the same verse within the Qu'ran. Also I have a hard copy of the Koran translated by someone else and their translation is the same as Yusufali's.

So can anyone tell me does Yusufali's refer to homosexual men or does Pickthal and Shakir refer to men and women i.e. husband or wife?

Basically I'm trying to find the punishment for men, and not sure this is it.

YUSUFALI: If two men among you are guilty of lewdness, punish them both. If they repent and amend, Leave them alone; for Allah is Oft-returning, Most Merciful.
    PICKTHAL: And as for the two of you who are guilty thereof, punish them both. And if they repent and improve, then let them be. Lo! Allah is ever relenting, Merciful.
    SHAKIR: And as for the two who are guilty of indecency from among you, give them both a punishment; then if they repent and amend, turn aside from them; surely Allah is Oft-returning (to mercy), the Merciful.

Also further on in this Sura we have this verse 004.024
    YUSUFALI: Also (prohibited are) women already married, except those whom your right hands possess: Thus hath Allah ordained (Prohibitions) against you: Except for these, all others are lawful, provided ye seek (them in marriage) with gifts from your property,- desiring chastity, not lust, seeing that ye derive benefit from them, give them their dowers (at least) as prescribed; but if, after a dower is prescribed, agree Mutually (to vary it), there is no blame on you, and Allah is All-knowing, All-wise.
    PICKTHAL: And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those (captives) whom your right hands possess. It is a decree of Allah for you. Lawful unto you are all beyond those mentioned, so that ye seek them with your wealth in honest wedlock, not debauchery. And those of whom ye seek content (by marrying them), give unto them their portions as a duty. And there is no sin for you in what ye do by mutual agreement after the duty (hath been done). Lo! Allah is ever Knower, Wise.
    SHAKIR: And all married women except those whom your right hands possess (this is) Allah's ordinance to you, and lawful for you are (all women) besides those, provided that you seek (them) with your property, taking (them) in marriage not committing fornication. Then as to those whom you profit by, give them their dowries as appointed; and there is no blame on you about what you mutually agree after what is appointed; surely Allah is Knowing, Wise.

Is this condoning marrying a woman who is already married but is a slave to a man? And it does not speak of any punishment for a man who has relations with a woman outside of marriage...

So is there any punishment at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭babyvaio

Medina wrote:
    Hi from the following link http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/004.qmt.html#004.003
    it gives three different scholars translations of the same verse within the Qu'ran. Also I have a hard copy of the Koran translated by someone else and their translation is the same as Yusufali's.

So can anyone tell me does Yusufali's refer to homosexual men or does Pickthal and Shakir refer to men and women i.e. husband or wife?

YUSUFALI: If two men among you are guilty of lewdness, punish them both. If they repent and amend, Leave them alone; for Allah is Oft-returning, Most Merciful.
    PICKTHAL: And as for the two of you who are guilty thereof, punish them both. And if they repent and improve, then let them be. Lo! Allah is ever relenting, Merciful.
    SHAKIR: And as for the two who are guilty of indecency from among you, give them both a punishment; then if they repent and amend, turn aside from them; surely Allah is Oft-returning (to mercy), the Merciful.

Also further on in this Sura we have this verse 004.024
    YUSUFALI: Also (prohibited are) women already married, except those whom your right hands possess: Thus hath Allah ordained (Prohibitions) against you: Except for these, all others are lawful, provided ye seek (them in marriage) with gifts from your property,- desiring chastity, not lust, seeing that ye derive benefit from them, give them their dowers (at least) as prescribed; but if, after a dower is prescribed, agree Mutually (to vary it), there is no blame on you, and Allah is All-knowing, All-wise.
    PICKTHAL: And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those (captives) whom your right hands possess. It is a decree of Allah for you. Lawful unto you are all beyond those mentioned, so that ye seek them with your wealth in honest wedlock, not debauchery. And those of whom ye seek content (by marrying them), give unto them their portions as a duty. And there is no sin for you in what ye do by mutual agreement after the duty (hath been done). Lo! Allah is ever Knower, Wise.
    SHAKIR: And all married women except those whom your right hands possess (this is) Allah's ordinance to you, and lawful for you are (all women) besides those, provided that you seek (them) with your property, taking (them) in marriage not committing fornication. Then as to those whom you profit by, give them their dowries as appointed; and there is no blame on you about what you mutually agree after what is appointed; surely Allah is Knowing, Wise.

Is this condoning marrying a woman who is already married but is a slave to a man? And it does not speak of any punishment for a man who has relations with a woman outside of marriage...

Read again both translations. Lawful (to men) are only wives in wedlock. Outside the marriage it is a sin. And for every sin there is a punishment in Islam. Unless one asks Allah swt for forgiveness. But still, he might by punished in this life. If he is (and punished exactly how Allah swt ordered) then he is free of this on the Judgement Day. No double punishment, or no repeated punishment if he was already punished in this life. However, punishment in the afterlife will be much heavier.

Sexual relations outside of marriage goes into the cathegory of the big sins - those for whom every human has to ask forgiveness for anyway. This is agreed upon among the Islamic scholars, there is absolutely no doubt about the fact that any sexual relation outside the marriage. The question about whether a slave girl is allowed to a man is yet to be checked (I think I can find this for you later) - insha'Allah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Medina

But in the verse just prior - 004.015 , it states that a man must get four witnesses, testify and it explains what the punishment is. Why does it not do this for men? It doesn't mention how many witnesses are needed and how they are to be dealt with?

So is it open to be decided upon by a judge or something? Why so particular a rule for women and not men?

YUSUFALI: If any of your women are guilty of lewdness, Take the evidence of four (Reliable) witnesses from amongst you against them; and if they testify, confine them to houses until death do claim them, or Allah ordain for them some (other) way.
    PICKTHAL: As for those of your women who are guilty of lewdness, call to witness four of you against them. And if they testify (to the truth of the allegation) then confine them to the houses until death take them or (until) Allah appoint for them a way (through new legislation).
    SHAKIR: And as for those who are guilty of an indecency from among your women, call to witnesses against them four (witnesses) from among you; then if they bear witness confine them to the houses until death takes them away or Allah opens some way for them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Medina wrote:
    Is this condoning marrying a woman who is already married but is a slave to a man?
    http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/quran/004.qmt.html#004.024 "Also (prohibited are) women already married, except those whom your right hands possess:" The term "right hand possesses" means slaves/captives(of war). The mention of same pops up quite a few times in the texts. From that verse it would seem clear that men can marry slaves whether the women are previously married or not.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Medina wrote:
    Verse 4:15 refers to the actions to be taken against lesbians. I would understand that verse 4:16 does indeed refer to homosexual men since the action to be taken for homosexual women seems to have already been prescribed in the previous verse. Having said that, I'm not a scholar :) Still, this does seem to be Yusuf Ali's interpretation (and that of the other translation you have... who is it by the way out of curiousity?) Only God knows for sure.

As I understand it, scholars are in difference of opinion on what action to take against homosexual men. One opinion is to make it the same punishment as the act of fornication (100 lashes) and the other opinion is for them to be put to death.
    Medina wrote:
    Is this condoning marrying a woman who is already married but is a slave to a man?
    I'm not 100% sure. I think it does but a few things should be noted. First is that this would then guarentee that the children of such a relationship would be free. Also, of course the woman couldn't be forced into it (it's most certainly not rape!! both parties must be willing). Secondly, the only time captives were taken as slaves in a war was when it was the tradition of the opposing army to do the same. This was in the interest of fairness because it wouldn't be fair if Muslim soldiers knew that they could be taken as slaves while the opposing side would be comfortable knowing that they would not. In a battle where the Muslims were fighting against armies that did not take POWs as slaves then it was not allowed for Muslims to do so.

These things are some of the ways that slavery was eradicated by Islam. I still haven't gotten round to typing up that chapter on how Islam pushed out slavery (sorry Wibbs :)). One of these days :)
    Medina wrote:
    There is indeed.

The punishment for free believing unmarried people (men and women) is 100 lashes.

As for men and women who commit adultery, there is an ongoing debate about it. Some people say that it is the same as for unmarried people (100 lashes) and some people say it is stoning.

The most important thing to note here is that these laws are for the protection of the society more than anything. Usually, any law that has capital punishment is for the security of the society as a whole. For any of these punishments to be carried out, there must be the testimony of 4 (count'em... FOUR!!) witnesses who
    1) Must be known in the society as truth tellers and good, honest people in the society
    2) Must have no doubt in their mind as to what they saw. I don't really want to get too graphic here but imagine the only way someone could be sure that two people had intercourse.

So, the question is, who would let FOUR people see them? It's not just that they did the act (that's bad enough as it is for their own sakes). It's also that they did it with little regard for their society and its integrity and decency. Child psychologists recommend that, when a child reaches the age where they can walk around and open doors, it's very important for a husband and wife to lock their door when having sexual relations because accidental viewing of this act by the child can cause serious mental problems.

And one last thing, the reputation of women are protected sternly in the Quran in the following verse.

Al-Nur:4
    "And as for those who accuse chaste women [of adultery], and then are unable to produce four witnesses [in support of their accusation], flog them with eighty stripes and ever after refuse to accept from them any testimony - since it is they, they that are truly depraved!"

The_new_Mr

Where is this punishment for men written in the Qu'ran?

Can you point me to the verse where it mentions either the flogging or death penalty?

Or is this just the law in a country where Islamic law is judicial law?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

the_new_mr wrote:
    These things are some of the ways that slavery was eradicated by Islam. I still haven't gotten round to typing up that chapter on how Islam pushed out slavery (sorry Wibbs :)). One of these days :)
    Ah man take your time. I've enough on my hands with the BabyVaio chap(ess). There's only so many minutes in an agnostics day :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Well, I did a wee bit of research there and I found a few things.

Now, I understand that there is no specific punishment laid out in the Quran for gay men so I can't point you to a verse there. Some people say that stoning is to be done based on the actions taken against the people of Lut by God. Still, the wording of the verse 4:16 of
    "If two men among you are guilty of lewdness, punish them both. If they repent and amend, Leave them alone; for Allah is Oft-returning, Most Merciful."
    tends to suggest to me that the punishment is not death and is flogging at the most since the person is given the chance to repent and people are told by God to leave them alone. This could mean repentance before the punishment but I don't think it would since they would need to be given time and repentance is between themselves and God. That's the way I see it but then who am I to give such an opinion?

Another opinion I read was that it depends on the status of the man (whether he is married or not).

Anyway, it all comes back to the security of the society at the end of the day.

the_new_mr wrote:
    Well, I did a wee bit of research there and I found a few things.

Now, I understand that there is no specific punishment laid out in the Quran for gay men so I can't point you to a verse there. Some people say that stoning is to be done based on the actions taken against the people of Lut by God. Still, the wording of the verse 4:16 of
    "If two men among you are guilty of lewdness, punish them both. If they repent and amend, Leave them alone; for Allah is Oft-returning, Most Merciful."
    tends to suggest to me that the punishment is not death and is flogging at the most since the person is given the chance to repent and people are told by God to leave them alone. This could mean repentance before the punishment but I don't think it would since they would need to be given time and repentance is between themselves and God. That's the way I see it but then who am I to give such an opinion?

Another opinion I read was that it depends on the status of the man (whether he is married or not).

Anyway, it all comes back to the security of the society at the end of the day.

Just an explanation to Medina, since she wanted to be pointed to a verse from the Qur'an.

The things is that Islamic Law has 2 sources:

1. The Qur'an
    2. The Sunnah (The Way of The Prophet saws)

The question was asked in order to point to a verse from the Qur'an. The thing is that if it's not there then it's found in the saying of the Prophet saws.

Like in an analogue way, the detailed way to pray is also documented upon many hundreds of witnesses who lived by the Prophet saws but is not fully documented in the Qur'an, yet more that 1.4 billion of Muslims pray pretty much the same way with minor differencies). Qur'am stimulates prayer and being humble and sincere when praying, etc. On the other hand, it was not the intention of the Qur'an to provide all the details on the actual Law, for that there is a reference in the Qur'an that if believers truly believe, they should obey Allah swt by obeying His Messenger Muhammad saws. And what he saws says, are not his saws actual ideas/words, but the Revelations from Allah swt.
    This strictly points to what the Prophet saws has said, done or has recommended to us - that we should obey Allah swt by obeying His final Prophet saws. It was not the intention of the Qur'an to include every single rule for every single situation for the Law to be formed strictly using the Qur'an, but to point to the Prophets saws way of life, 'cos he saws was the best of humans ever, and the best example of how one should life ones life. This combinations gives the so much needed comprehensive code of life of the Islamic Law - universal in time and space, nationality or colour, etc.

If the question is still persistent on the verse from the Qur'an only then I have to point you to some muslim sect to find an answer, 'cos who does not follow both the Qur'an and the Prophet saws is directly disobeying Allah swt (in the Qur'an there are orthers to follows the Prophet saws) and thus - Allah swt knows best - is not a (true) believer anymore.

So from the (true) believers perspective - Ehli Sunnah (sunni Muslims) it makes no sense to answer the question by looking into the proofs from the Qur'an only whilst the whole Sariah Law is based on these 2 sources and consensus of the Muslim scholars.

Yes babyvaio, I totally agree. However, I could not find any hadith with respect to this topic. The best I could find were:
    “If a man comes upon a man then they are both aduterers”
    and
    "If a woman comes upon a woman, they are both Adulteresses”

However, there was no mention of the authenticity of either hadith. Also, I could not find either one in the books of Bukhari or Muslim. And since the hadith for both men and women above are the same and neither the death penalty or flogging is commanded for homosexual women witnessed by four witnesses then I feel that these hadith are probably not authentic. As I said though, who am I to say so? Allah knows best.

the_new_mr wrote:
    Yes babyvaio, I totally agree. However, I could not find any hadith with respect to this topic. The best I could find were:
    “If a man comes upon a man then they are both aduterers”
    and
    "If a woman comes upon a woman, they are both Adulteresses”

However, there was no mention of the authenticity of either hadith. Also, I could not find either one in the books of Bukhari or Muslim. And since the hadith for both men and women above are the same and neither the death penalty or flogging is commanded for homosexual women witnessed by four witnesses then I feel that these hadith are probably not authentic. As I said though, who am I to say so? Allah knows best.

Hmm, insha'Allah we will find it my brother, BTW there must be a FATWA somewhere on the net?

• Advertisement

Tried looking and there are a lot of opinions. Let us know if you find anything.

the_new_mr wrote:
    Tried looking and there are a lot of opinions. Let us know if you find anything.

Since I'm not the one responsible the make a call on such decisions (this is not a fatwa) I can only post a few Hadits that I found on this subject.
    I think they're very clear. It's obvious that that's one of the major sins in Islam. There's also a narration mentioning Jews who were hiding stoning to death found in the Torah. Interesting.

Vol 6, Book 60. Prophetic Commentary On The Qur'an....
    Hadith 079. (Shahi Bukhari)

Search Result
    Narrated By 'Abdullah bin Umar: The Jews brought to the Prophet a man and a woman from among them who had committed illegal sexual INTERCOURSE. The Prophet said to them, "How do you usually punish the one amongst you who has committed illegal sexual INTERCOURSE?" They replied, "We blacken their faces with coal and beat them," He said, "Don't you find the order of Ar-Rajm (i.e. stoning to death) in the Torah?" They replied, "We do not find anything in it." 'Abdullah bin Salam (after hearing this conversation) said to them. "You have told a lie! Bring here the Torah and recite it if you are truthful." (So the Jews brought the Torah). And the religious teacher who was teaching it to them, put his hand over the Verse of Ar-Rajm and started reading what was written above and below the place hidden with his hand, but he did not read the Verse of Ar-Rajm. 'Abdullah bin Salam removed his (i.e. the teacher's) hand from the Verse of Ar-Rajm and said, "What is this?" So when the Jews saw that Verse, they said, "This is the Verse of Ar-Rajm." So the Prophet ordered the two adulterers to be stoned to death, and they were stoned to death near the place where biers used to be placed near the Mosque. I saw her companion (i.e. the adulterer) bowing over her so as to protect her from the stones.

Hadith 134. (Shahi Bukhari)

Search Result
    Narrated By Abu Qilaba: That he was sitting behind Umar bin Abdul Aziz and the people mentioned and mentioned (about At-Qasama) and they said (various things), and said that the Caliphs had permitted it. 'Umar bin 'Abdul 'Aziz turned towards Abu Qilaba who was behind him and said. "What do you say, O 'Abdullah bin Zaid?" or said, "What do you say, O Abu Qilaba?" Abu Qilaba said, "I do not know that killing a person is lawful in Islam except in three cases: a married person committing illegal sexual INTERCOURSE, one who has murdered somebody unlawfully, or one who wages war against Allah and His Apostle." 'Anbasa said, "Anas narrated to us such-and-such." Abu Qilaba said, "Anas narrated to me in this concern, saying, some people came to the Prophet and they spoke to him saying, 'The climate of this land does not suit us.' The Prophet said, 'These are camels belonging to us, and they are to be taken out to the pasture. So take them out and drink of their milk and urine.' So they took them and set out and drank of their urine and milk, and having recovered, they attacked the shepherd, killed him and drove away the camels.' Why should there be any delay in punishing them as they murdered (a person) and waged war against Allah and His Apostle and frightened Allah's Apostle ?" Anbasa said, "I testify the uniqueness of Allah!" Abu Qilaba said, "Do you suspect me?" 'Anbasa said, "No, Anas narrated that (Hadith) to us." Then 'Anbasa added, "O the people of such-and-such (country), you will remain in good state as long as Allah keeps this (man) and the like of this (man) amongst you."

Vol 7, Book 63. Divorce.
    Hadith 195. (Shahi Bukhari)

Search Result
    Narrated By Jabir: A man from the tribe of Bani Aslam came to the Prophet while he was in the mosque and said, "I have committed illegal sexual INTERCOURSE." The Prophet turned his face to the other side. The man turned towards the side towards which the Prophet had turned his face, and gave four witnesses against himself. On that the Prophet called him and said, "Are you insane?" (He added), "Are you married?" The man said, 'Yes." On that the Prophet ordered him to be stoned to the death in the Musalla (a praying place). When the stones hit him with their sharp edges and he fled, but he was caught at Al-Harra and then killed.

Vol 3, Book 48. Witnesses.
    Hadith 817. (Shahi Bukhari)

Search Result
    Narrated By Zaid bin Khalid: Allah's Apostle ordered that an unmarried man who committed illegal sexual INTERCOURSE be scourged one hundred lashes and sent into exile for one year.

Vol 1, Book 2. Belief.
    Hadith 017. (Shahi Bukhari)

Search Result
    Narrated By 'Ubada bin As-Samit: Who took part in the battle of Badr and was a Naqib (a person heading a group of six persons), on the night of Al-'Aqaba pledge: Allah's Apostle said while a group of his companions were around him, "Swear allegiance to me for:

1. Not to join anything in worship along with Allah.
    2. Not to steal.
    3. Not to commit illegal sexual INTERCOURSE.
    4. Not to kill your children.
    5. Not to accuse an innocent person (to spread such an accusation among people).
    6. Not to be disobedient (when ordered) to do good deed."
    The Prophet added: "Whoever among you fulfills his pledge will be rewarded by Allah. And whoever indulges in any one of them (except the ascription of partners to Allah) and gets the punishment in this world, that punishment will be an expiation for that sin. And if one indulges in any of them, and Allah conceals his sin, it is up to Him to forgive or punish him (in the Hereafter)." 'Ubada bin As-Samit added: "So we swore allegiance for these." (points to Allah's Apostle)

Vol 2, Book 23. Funerals (Al-Janaa'iz).
    Hadith 413. (Shahi Bukhari)

Search Result
    Narrated By 'Abdullah bin 'Umar : The Jew brought to the Prophet a man and a woman from amongst them who have committed (ADULTERY) illegal sexual intercourse. He ordered both of them to be stoned (to death), near the place of offering the funeral prayers beside the mosque."

Thanks babyvaio for that. However, we were looking for information on the punishment for homosexual men... not adultery ;)

Also, I'm not sure if the hadiths concerning the Jews are necessarily authentic. Something for everyone to keep in mind is that not all hadith in Sahih al-Bukhari and Sahih al-Muslim are sahih (despite the name).

As for the one about the man from Bani Aslam, I have heard a more detailed narration which is interesting.

I understand that the man and the woman he committed the sin with both came to the Prophet confessing their sin. The Prophet didn't want to set the punishment since nobody else knew about it and had said before (paraphrase) "If God saves you from scandal (by not allowing others to know about your sin) then seek forgiveness from Him". This is mentioned in one of the hadith babyvaio mentioned. Anyway, such was the incredible piety of these two individuals, they insisted on being punished. The Prophet asked the tribe of the man (I believe he was called M'aiz) to verify that he was sane. They did verify that he was sane and this left the Prophet no choice but to prescribe the death penalty.

As for the woman, the Prophet told her to give birth to the baby and come back afterwards hoping that she would change her mind. She gave birth and still came back. So, the Prophet told her to ween the child and come back hoping again that she would change her mind. She weened the child and came back two years later still insisting on the punishment. Once again, there was no choice.

I'm not 100% sure of this hadith as I heard it from someone and I've been quite wary recently of hadith that I hear from people as opposed to read but I would say that it's accurate enough since I heard it from two people I would consider as reliable sources and also it complies with the hadith mentioned by babyvaio.

the_new_mr wrote:
    Thanks babyvaio for that. However, we were looking for information on the punishment for homosexual men... not adultery ;)

Also, I'm not sure if the hadiths concerning the Jews are necessarily authentic. Something for everyone to keep in mind is that not all hadith in Sahih al-Bukhari and Sahih al-Muslim are sahih (despite the name).

As for the one about the man from Bani Aslam, I have heard a more detailed narration which is interesting.

I understand that the man and the woman he committed the sin with both came to the Prophet confessing their sin. The Prophet didn't want to set the punishment since nobody else knew about it and had said before (paraphrase) "If God saves you from scandal (by not allowing others to know about your sin) then seek forgiveness from Him". This is mentioned in one of the hadith babyvaio mentioned. Anyway, such was the incredible piety of these two individuals, they insisted on being punished. The Prophet asked the tribe of the man (I believe he was called M'aiz) to verify that he was sane. They did verify that he was sane and this left the Prophet no choice but to prescribe the death penalty.

As for the woman, the Prophet told her to give birth to the baby and come back afterwards hoping that she would change her mind. She gave birth and still came back. So, the Prophet told her to ween the child and come back hoping again that she would change her mind. She weened the child and came back two years later still insisting on the punishment. Once again, there was no choice.

I'm not 100% sure of this hadith as I heard it from someone and I've been quite wary recently of hadith that I hear from people as opposed to read but I would say that it's accurate enough since I heard it from two people I would consider as reliable sources and also it complies with the hadith mentioned by babyvaio.

I'll try to find anything on homosexualism, however this is a subset of illegal sexual intercourse anyway, so logically the punishment should be at least the same (if not worse) as for man/woman illegal sexual intercourse.

Checked for it, couldn't find a Hadith, however, that's probably because of one of the two:
    1. It doesn't exist ('cos such a thing never happened in the lifetime of the Prophet saws)
    2. Such a thing never happened in the lifetime of the Prophet saws (therefore it doesn't exist) ;-)
    3. Or I just couldn't find it which is the most likely

Anyway, if you cannot find something straightforward in the Qur'an nor in the Sunnah, then you have to apply the analogy, i.e. like how to perform a prayer in the airplane. It's a known fact that airplanes didn't exist in the 7th century, but Muslim used to pray riding camels, etc. So if you satisfy all the conditions for a prayer, then obviously you will do your prayer in an airplane, especially if the time of the prayer is running out. And this is not the lesser of two evils here, but the command of Allah swt has to be obeyed and just because some one is flying, this is still not an excuse to miss the prayer deliberately.

The punishment (I would believe) for homosexualism/lesbianism is the same as the one for illegal sexual intercourse and that would be only my personal opinion based on the material that I have.

PS What happened to the people of Prophet Lot as is a well known fact. They were all destroyed in one night, except those who were saved by Allah swt. This implicitly shows that in this life - death is the punishment, however I would like to hear an official fatwa on this subject.

Allah swt knows best.

I was looking for the punishment of adultery. Interesting that in the passage below it makes no mention of Muhammed asking for four witnesses, unless that part is not posted here?
    babyvaio wrote:
    Hadith 079. (Shahi Bukhari)

Search Result
    Narrated By 'Abdullah bin Umar: The Jews brought to the Prophet a man and a woman from among them who had committed illegal sexual INTERCOURSE. The Prophet said to them, "How do you usually punish the one amongst you who has committed illegal sexual INTERCOURSE?" They replied, "We blacken their faces with coal and beat them," He said, "Don't you find the order of Ar-Rajm (i.e. stoning to death) in the Torah?" They replied, "We do not find anything in it." 'Abdullah bin Salam (after hearing this conversation) said to them. "You have told a lie! Bring here the Torah and recite it if you are truthful." (So the Jews brought the Torah). And the religious teacher who was teaching it to them, put his hand over the Verse of Ar-Rajm and started reading what was written above and below the place hidden with his hand, but he did not read the Verse of Ar-Rajm. 'Abdullah bin Salam removed his (i.e. the teacher's) hand from the Verse of Ar-Rajm and said, "What is this?" So when the Jews saw that Verse, they said, "This is the Verse of Ar-Rajm." So the Prophet ordered the two adulterers to be stoned to death, and they were stoned to death near the place where biers used to be placed near the Mosque. I saw her companion (i.e. the adulterer) bowing over her so as to protect her from the stones.

Medina wrote:
    I was looking for the punishment of adultery. Interesting that in the passage below it makes no mention of Muhammed asking for four witnesses, unless that part is not posted here?

Allah swt knows best, but by my knowledge and understanding of this Hadith (unfortunatelly I don't have the explanation of it), the Jews already concluded based on some facts that the couple commited adultery - or even maybe the couple admitted such a thing. They brought the couple not to conclude if they did it, but to punish them.

Advertisement