Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate Movie Sequels?

• 21-07-2006 9:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭

Spotted this thread on Ain't It Cool News this morning where Dean Devlin was questioned on Stargate movie sequels.
    -Finally, someone asked about STARGATE and if we would get the 2 sequels mentioned back when the first film was made. Devlin said that MGM picked up FLYBOYS (made independently) and now that he has built a relationship again with the studio they are finally back in talks about finishing out the STARGATE Trilogy. SG1 and Atlantis will be their own things, according to Devlin. The sequels will only be based on the previous film, but it won't "step on the toes" of the television series.
    Considering the universe that has been developed by SG1 and SGA over the last 9 years, can a pair of sequels really be created without stepping on the toes of the TV shows?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I don't think it can be made without stepping on toes. The movie only vaguely described any sort of mythos and it was the TV shows who expanded on it in a big way with the Goa'uld symbiote idea, Jaffa, etc. These are "canon" as far as I'm concerned.

If Devlin and Emmerich get their way, they'll completely contradict it for their own ideas which, I imagine, aren't all that good (I vaguely recall seeing plot outlines before). I'd be surprised if MGM allow it given it would potentially confuse/alienate SG1/SGA fans and that the franchise is their most lucrative after the Bond series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i dont see why they cant just make the movies in SGA / SG1 timelines or mabe tak a chance and do a all gouauld movie based around the egyption rebellion Ra is at War with another gouauld (did Ra fight apophis?) or something and the main charactor can be Apophis 1st prime or something

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

I think it's funny reading Devlin and Emmerich harp on about how they don't approve of the stargate series because it's their intellectual property etc. they didn't even come up with the idea for the first one. Some unknown writer/Egyptologist showed it to Emmerich back in the 80s, he said it was crap and told him to get lost. The writer was pretty surprised a few years later when his idea was on screen, the only difference was the names of the main characters had been changed. The writer sued the pair and it was settled out of court. Devlin is a no talent bum, just look at Godzilla and Eight Legged Freaks, Independence Day was a fluke. If he does decide to use a story he came up with I guarantee it will be total garbage and while I might watch them they will not affect my own appreciation of a thought out and respected tv series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

I don't think they could make it independant of the series, otherwise it will look like a cheap knockoff. Wormhole Xtreme comes to mind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

User45701 wrote:
    i dont see why they cant just make the movies in SGA / SG1 timelines or mabe tak a chance and do a all gouauld movie based around the egyption rebellion Ra is at War with another gouauld (did Ra fight apophis?) or something and the main charactor can be Apophis 1st prime or something

The only way would be to set the movie between the first movie and the start of SG-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

jhegarty wrote:
    The only way would be to set the movie between the first movie and the start of SG-1
    Yea but in the pilot of SG1 (s1e01) they say that the stargate hasnt been used since the first mission and as far as they knew it didnt go to any other adresses, so unless its based on the same planet (forget the name of it) and is set directly after the first film that wouldnt work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Pugsley wrote:
    Yea but in the pilot of SG1 (s1e01) they say that the stargate hasnt been used since the first mission and as far as they knew it didnt go to any other adresses, so unless its based on the same planet (forget the name of it) and is set directly after the first film that wouldnt work.

Earth didn't use its stargate... but thats not to say what the rest of the universe was up to....

Either way I know I wouldn't sit through a movie where earth doesn't have ships, weapons..etc..etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

It would be class to have a movie plot line about the Stargate and another civilization or something and then tie it back into the show? Kinda a stand alone movie but ties back in;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Episode 200 is supposed to be a spoof about a SG movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Hobbes wrote:
    Episode 200 is supposed to be a spoof about a SG movie.
    Their bringing back the 'Wormhole X-treme' crowd that they had in for episode 100 as far as I know, RDA is also making an appearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Yeah, apparently, according to the stargate magazine the Wormhole Xtreme series did so well on DVD that they are making it into a movie. incidentally, I believe the 100th episode of SG is on tommorow, Friday on Sky 1. can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭madmike18

well if there was another stargate movie i would watch it

but honestly i dont think for 1 second it could compare to the respect of the series

it has been going for 10 years

and the films was along time ago

it would not make sense to return like 10 years later after the film and say lets use the stargate again call up daniel i forgot to metion i did not set of the bomb on the planet

cause really if the film was made it would have to go the same way the series went

what more is there to say except there are more gates and that the goauld did not make them

so really all the movie can do it implement the first season to a movie and nothing more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

The whole STARGATE Trilogy idea is BS. The movie is what 12-13 years old now, not to mention the law suit they lost for ripping off the idea and only now a they claim aTrilogy was planned all along?

Yeah right :rolleyes:

Advertisement