Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A Good Deal?

Options
  • 21-07-2006 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi all, just want to get your thoughts on this.

I'm trading in a mazda mx-3, 1998, 68,000 miles (needs €1000 of repairs)

The dealership offered me a nissan almera hatchback, 2004, 28,000 miles
    for €14,599. €10,000 with the mazda as trade in.

So, is the nissan almera hatchback any good, i did a brief test drive and seemed good or should i go for a different car in a similar class such as a Ford Focus?

Personally, reliability and fuel economy are important, but as the Mazda mx3 was 1.6 i'd like a bit of power there.

Any thoughts or advice on the deal or other options would be greatly appeciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Almera isn't hectic. You can do much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Have to agree with Henry Ford - I would'nt wet my pants over the almera.

What about something like this:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=443143

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭beatsie

thanks for the feedback chaps.

Do dealerships have any issues taking a car for a trade in that needs repairs? as if it's a common occurance i would definitely shop around more.

The dealership i'm talking to are a Mazda dealer who have done all the repairs on the mx3 so im thinking what they offer for a trade in would be slightly better than what a random dealership would offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

Why not the new Mazda 6 or 3 then

Great fuel economy and quite nippy too!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Motormouth

A rranchised dealership won't retail a 98 car, even their own brand. In that case (and especially if it needs repairs) they will "trade" the car. this means they will ring a few traders and best price gets your car, warts and all. In the case that your car is being traded, the SIV (stand in value) is very low, even though they are showing you a lot more on paper(using the discount thay can affort on the car you are buying). The answer for you is to sell the MX3 yourself and get a (probably quite significant) discount on the Almera, or whatever you buy.;)

• Advertisement

Ok, so let me get this straight. I should get the car repaired. Then sell it privately or sell to a trader?

It's a pain though, the mazda has needs it's NCT because of the repairs needed, so ill have to go through the NCT process again which will probably throw up yet more repairs needed etc... Oh well....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Well a grand is not alot really. You may get the repairs done cheaper if you go to a private guy rather than a dealership. What sort of work needs to be done??

repairs are as follows

new lambda sensor
    new front right indicator
    two new headlamps

Need the headlamps becuase the headlamp adjuster was not working, i heard that if i got a garage to remove the headlamp adjuster you can't fail on it. Any truth in that at all?

i should clarify that last paragraph, i meant not fail the NCT.

Anyway, i went back to the dealer and the Almera was sold during the week!!! but they offered me a 2004 1.4 VW Bora with 28,000 miles on the clock for 11,800 plus the mazda.

Obviously the resale value is way better with the VW. Could even take it and sell it on again for a small profit., then have cash to get something else. not ideal though. Is the VW Bora worth keeping though?

Advertisement