Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Idiots guide to fox shooting

• 21-07-2006 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi,
    The idiot in Qn is me!
    I had my 1st attempt at lamping last night, number of outcomes:
    1. Got wet
    2. Don't know how to blow the squeeler properly to attract fox
    3. Had a fox in my sights- not sure where to shoot him so didn't take the shot.

Can you guys/gals advise me on a few points please:

1. What is the best time of night to go out?
    2. How exactly should I use the squeeler - intermittant/ constant/how long?
    3. Where should I be situated for the above. By a ditch / in the middle of a field.
    3A. Do I shine the torch all the time across th efield or on /off as required?
    4. When I do see the fox assuming he's in range do i try call him closer or take the shot?
    5. Where do I shoot to kill him most humanely - behind shoulder /head?
    6. What do I do with the body?

Thanks for the advice. BTW Great adrenalin rush for the encounter I had last night.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

My views...

1. What is the best time of night to go out?
    I find just before dawn in the summer while any time when the cold nights start.

2. How exactly should I use the squeeler - intermittant/ constant/how long?
    Go to a spot, set up, call constant for about 5mins, see nothing move on

3. Where should I be situated for the above. By a ditch / in the middle of a field.
    Middle of field, giving you the best view possible, it you are beside a ditch you may not see foxes approaching you.

3A. Do I shine the torch all the time across th efield or on /off as required?
    Personally once I have fox within range I keep the light above him but just enough to get the glint of his eyes to track him.

4. When I do see the fox assuming he's in range do i try call him closer or take the shot?
    Keep calling untill you have him at a safe distance and a shot you know you can handle. A change in call will normally make them stop and look giving you a few seconds to shoot.

5. Where do I shoot to kill him most humanely - behind shoulder /head?
    Really depends on you firearm. I use a .223 and shoot behind the shoulder, never seen one even stir after this.

If you having trouble with your squeeler try rubbing aeroboard against your windscreen. Cheap and works!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

thank you both for starting and replying to this thread, i want to get into fox shooting big time.

ok i have another question, do you only shoot foxes where you know there are some or do you go to places where you suspect there are some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Vegeta wrote:
    thank you both for starting and replying to this thread, i want to get into fox shooting big time.

ok i have another question, do you only shoot foxes where you know there are some or do you go to places where you suspect there are some

I'm a firm believer in knowing the lay of the land, I always do a drive around to see where I’m going to shoot that night and what livestock is in the surrounding areas.

If your in the countryside there are foxes, (so too for the city’s but you can’t shoot them) I’ve often called at locations and seen nothing for 3 or 4 nights and then on the 5th night have two or three foxes.

It’s all about time and patience and never take a shot if it is unsafe to do so, there will always be another night, you start missing long shots and pretty soon you have a lamp shy fox!!

i went out last weekend a little after dawn on saturday morning and a little before dusk sunday evening and not a sign of a fox.

I use an electronic caller which has recordings of a rabbit in distress, problem is though is that it drives every dog for miles around to go crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 PAIMEI

I wouldnt be too confident in the electronic caller, had a fox last year in the on the lamp that wouldnt budge with and electronic caller, gave a few squeels with a an acme caller, sounds like a hare, and he started to come, gave a few calls myself then and brought him into 150 yards, but only had a shotgun with me so no use. Those electronic callers are deadly for magpie and crows, and ducks sometimes, but I think the fox calls have too many background sounds and they only confuse the fox and cause him to leg it, the lochvogel caller is the one I've used.

• Advertisement

PAIMEI wrote:
    I wouldnt be too confident in the electronic caller, had a fox last year in the on the lamp that wouldnt budge with and electronic caller, gave a few squeels with a an acme caller, sounds like a hare, and he started to come, gave a few calls myself then and brought him into 150 yards, but only had a shotgun with me so no use. Those electronic callers are deadly for magpie and crows, and ducks sometimes, but I think the fox calls have too many background sounds and they only confuse the fox and cause him to leg it, the lochvogel caller is the one I've used.

Yeah i have the same brand caller, its unreal on crows and magpies. Scary good. I gave it a blast out my house window when i bought it and after 2 minutes the place looked like a scene from a horror movie, crows everywhere.

I have had no luck with the electronic caller yet on fox but it could be to do with the time of day i am going out aswell.

I will gave a look on-line for a manual caller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Vegeta wrote:
    Yeah i have the same brand caller, its unreal on crows and magpies. Scary good. I gave it a blast out my house window when i bought it and after 2 minutes the place looked like a scene from a horror movie, crows everywhere.

I have had no luck with the electronic caller yet on fox but it could be to do with the time of day i am going out aswell.

I will gave a look on-line for a manual caller

Very Interesting... I wonder can you get one that works on women!!:p :p:D

Advertisement