Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McCarthy named new Wolves manager

• 21-07-2006 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭

Aye, as it says

no matter how rubbish a manager you are it's all put down as experience and your guaranteed more work!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

God help Wolves is all I can say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

seansouth wrote:
    God help Wolves is all I can say.

What you talking about? McCarthy's record in the Championship is been brillant since the Ireland job, he done wonders with Sunderland to get them out of the championship after losing over 20 players when they where relagated and been over 20 million in debt, first season got them to the FA Cup semi finals and 3rd in league and won it the next season.

Can you name any other manager that has done so well in Championship with the same amount of money etc? I can't think of one. Look at all the money Wolves have spent with numerous managers and where are they? mid table in the Championship.

I don't like McCarthy and never had but he is a good championship manager. End of story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

But look at Sunderland now.

He is a fine Championship ammager, I've no doubt, but what is the point if it can't be backed up after promotion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

seansouth wrote:
    But look at Sunderland now.

He is a fine Championship ammager, I've no doubt, but what is the point if it can't be backed up after promotion?

Problem with that was again they had to let players go and only had so many million to buy players to replace them, instead of getting one or two new players which where used to the PL he had to buy alot of good players in the Championship. These players failed to live up to there Championship form and that was the main problem. Some of there where player of the year at there clubs the season before and couldnt kick a ball straight last season. Wolves have the money to invest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dave Larkin

It remains to be seen how Mick does in the Wolves job. I'd say he'll resign within a year and a half. He's on a rolling contract, of course, so he could be gone after a season depending on the team's performance. The Championship is a tough league, though. Good luck to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭DaveH

Exactly for all the slagging McCarthy got, his record in the Championship with Sunderland was excellent. He was very unlucky with Sunderland in the premiership imho. There was plenty of money for West Ham and Wigan, but McCarthy got enough money to sign GEM'S like Rory Delap. The Sunderland fans also thought he got a hard deal there last season.

Also something that I noticed. Roy Keane was his biggest critic and imo the one who got him fired from the Republic's job. Yet when Keane walked in the World Cup, no other player backed him, and 4 years later he hasnt got any backing from the players that were in the panel.

By the end of Brian Kerr's reign NONE of the players wanted to play for him.

That has to point to something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I never really understood the "Mick is crap" stuff that gets thrown around. He actually got the national side playing its best ever football, and especially for the championship where he is proven to be successful. Wolves are in a mess right now, and barely have any players.

As for the premiership, if you don't invest in Premiership quality players, you will go down. There are a few exceptions to this, Wigan for example but its generally the way things go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

DaveH wrote:
    Roy Keane was his biggest critic and imo the one who got him fired from the Republic's job. Yet when Keane walked in the World Cup, no other player backed him, and 4 years later he hasnt got any backing from the players that were in the panel.

By the end of Brian Kerr's reign NONE of the players wanted to play for him.

That has to point to something!

McCarthy should have quit after the WC. Keane didn't get him sacked; it was the poor preformances that ireland were turning out that did for him. And as we all know, "The buck stops here!". To this day I believe had all been well (both men to blame for that) we could have reached the 3/4th place play-off. I digress though.

Also, i take exception to the point you make about players wanting to play for mccarthy after the WC. results prove otherwise.

Whatever the truth, i think he'll do OK enough at Wolves. I just cant see him being there that long though.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

Im happy for McCarthy on this one imo hes a good manager who did his best at sunderland under very poor conditions and with no real money. I personally still think hes been the best manager Irelands had in recent times as well. Wolves have a good stadium and a lot of potential if hes given enough time.

Good Luck Mick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wonder if Incey will hang about? He was interested in the job.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

So mark Wolves down for promotion love him or hate him he gets the job done, 12 month rolling contract seems Mr Jez is of the opinion Mc Carthy will get them up in one season.

kdjac

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

God help Wolves indeed, he might just get them promoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

was steve bull not the front runner for this? would have thought he was the fans choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

How many peoples opinions of Mick McCarthy are completely shrouded by the whole sorry mess of a few years ago?

Fact is, McCarthy, If nothing else, is a manager who over achieves. Lets look at his managerial record

He left Milwall top of Division 1 to take over the Ireland job

He inherits a squad of 30 somethings who are mostly about to retire

He manages to get to the play off for World Cup 98 losing 3-2 on aggregate, with Ian Harte playing centre half, due to lack of other options.

Misses out on qualification to Euro 2000 due to a silly handball from Lee Carsley, again with an entirely limited squad.

Effectively eliminate the Dutch, one of the pre tournament favourites to win the World cup, from World Cup 2002 with a game to spare, again, with a limited squad.

A decent World Cup campaign which was only shortened ( I am avoiding the whole saga here ) due to magical goal keeping from both Kahn and Casillas.

His Ireland career ends, but lets not get into the rights and wrongs of that.

He takes over a Sunderland side where his initial job is to release his entire squad to get in cheaper players.

Relegation is a certainty.

A decent season of consolidation in Div 1, signing reserves from many lower division clubs.

Then, a rampant season follows to win Div 1, with a team of reserves.

Premiership comes about, he is given feck all money to do anything.

Now thats his managerial acumen, but I also feel he is a decent person also. Not sure how true this story is, but however

There are mass releases at Sunderland on one grey monday morning. This happens in the same few days as a major factory announces its relocation to cheaper labour land. The region is devastated. Michael Gray, then Mr Sunderland and club captain shows up to training in a brand new sports car. Mr McCarthy tells him his folly at such an innopurtune time, and propmptly has him gone from the club.

Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Revalco

Bye bye Wolves :D

Seriously 2002 was the highlight for him and it was due to Duff & Keane (Robbie) playing out of their skin.

Sunderland were always a yo-yo club so its wasnt surprizing they went down, but they were so fooking poor its was incredible, dont think they even won a match, and there main stiker scores his first goal at the end of the season after he left.

End of the the day the premiership is the goal, and hes one manger that will never cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Revalco wrote:
    Bye bye Wolves :D

Seriously 2002 was the highlight for him and it was due to Duff & Keane (Robbie) playing out of their skin.

Sunderland were always a yo-yo club so its wasnt surprizing they went down, but they were so fooking poor its was incredible, dont think they even won a match, and there main stiker scores his first goal at the end of the season after he left.

End of the the day the premiership is the goal, and hes one manger that will never cut it.

You seem to forgot the part where he beat West Ham and Wigan to the Championship trophy with a team of piss poor players. The fact that he got absolutely no money to back that team up wasn't his fault. It was the Sunderland board's.

He's brought Gary Breen with him. Could be a decent enough move for Breen after a poor season with Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Im really surprised at some of the negative towards Mick. Hes a more than decent manager and I bet you he'll have wolves hovvering around promotion in his first season. Some of you lot should try backing up your opinions with a few facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well I do know that alot of the wolves players are happy with the appointment. They did not want ince to do it as they thought that he was not up to the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

McCarthy is a good manager, he has the C.V. to prove it, some people are so blindly in love with Roy Keane and every piece of vitriol that spews forth from his ill educated mouth that because he doesn't get on with McCarthy or 'rate' him, he must be **** then. Here's one fact, McCarthy got Ireland to a World Cup, did Kerr?. Kerr is so tactically astute, when drawing with Switzerland on a must win game with ten minutes to go he throws on the international superstar Gary Doherty to turn things around...

Everybody knows why Kerr was given the job after McCarthy, apart from the youth bull**** he was an Eircom league manager prior to his appointment and would be delighted just to have the job and wouldn't be asking questions of the FAI like a manager from the English/International scene and we all know how well run the FAI is and how they like to be questioned as to their practices.

I get the same impression with the appointment of Steve Staunton, why else did it take so long to fill the position? - no one wanted the job while the same arseholes are running the FAI, people who can't spell football let alone run a countries football association. Steve, a man with no prior managerial experience is just happy to be there, lets face it, his playing career was over and he was offered the job on a platter, what decision is that?

Dole/Job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Laguna wrote:
    Kerr is so tactically astute, when drawing with Switzerland on a must win game with ten minutes to go he throws on the international superstar Gary Doherty to turn things around...

Everybody knows why Kerr was given the job after McCarthy, apart from the youth bull**** he was an Eircom league manager prior to his appointment and would be delighted just to have the job and wouldn't be asking questions of the FAI like a manager from the English/International scene and we all know how well run the FAI is and how they like to be questioned as to their practices.

Mc Carthy gave Doherty his 1st cap up front for ireland late in a game we needed to score in. Kerr was given the ireland job because he was cheap, pre youth teams he was one of the most vocal anti-FAI people in the EL. They gave him the youth team job to shut him up. He was nearly arrested for allegedly assaulting Louis Kilcoyne over the Rovers/ milltown thing.

Other than that spot on :D

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

gimmick wrote:

There are mass releases at Sunderland on one grey monday morning. This happens in the same few days as a major factory announces its relocation to cheaper labour land. The region is devastated. Michael Gray, then Mr Sunderland and club captain shows up to training in a brand new sports car. Mr McCarthy tells him his folly at such an innopurtune time, and propmptly has him gone from the club.

Meh.

Yep that sums him up all right, making himself out to be the big fella at the expense of the Team, shafting the team captain in the process. Sound familar ?

He is a half decent championship manager but has yet to prove himself in the premiership, personally I believe his lack of man management skills will prevent him from ever doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

McCarthy is a good manager, he has the C.V. to prove it, some people are so blindly in love with Roy Keane and every piece of vitriol that spews forth from his ill educated mouth that because he doesn't get on with McCarthy or 'rate' him, he must be **** then.

bang on, nice one. Couldnt have worded it better myself without getting abusive, lol :)

Advertisement