Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music in Islam

• 21-07-2006 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭

Hi,
    I've been told that music is banned in Islam, but is singing not a type of music? The links in the sticky direct to people who sing (I'm not talking about the recitation of the Qu'ran here). But just because you have no 'instruments' to make music does that mean that singing is not music?

Whats the definition of 'music'?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Big debate over this one. I seem to remember that in the first place the prohibition comes from the hadeeth not the Quran. Some of the more austere sects of Islam consider all music haraam or forbidden, while others have no such issue just as long as it doesn't lead people into sinful practice(AFAIR correct me here, oh look it's the new mr :)) In the more extreme view the only music allowed is the call to prayer or recitation of the Quran. Some others consider drums and singing ok. There's a sliding scale at work. I would suspect that nowadays the prohibition is as much to do with a resistance to western influences in the music as many Islamic composers in the past didn't seem too worried.

I'd say that one of the few points that myself and the most extreme Wahabbi Muslim would agree upon is that anything that makes britney spears and her kind bad to listen to is alright in my book. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭babyvaio

Medina wrote:
    Hi,
    I've been told that music is banned in Islam, but is singing not a type of music? The links in the sticky direct to people who sing (I'm not talking about the recitation of the Qu'ran here). But just because you have no 'instruments' to make music does that mean that singing is not music?

Pork/Swine is forbidden in Islam, but is it not lard/pig fat also a piggy?
    Of course it is. So your questions has a few meanings.

BTW, Islamic sholars have different opinios on that. However, they all agree on the fact that every singing or lyrics that contradict Islamic Teachings (i.e. lyrics mentioning murder, sex, black magic, etc.) are strictly forbidden 'cos they invite, they call to immorality. Then again, immorality as defined by Islam, not by some western world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Medina

Thats fair enough. But what about songs about abstract topics such as lost love or the beauty of nature?

Or listening just to music with no lyrics?

What exactly is allowed and what exactly is forbidden..?

There are some great artists who create only music or who create songs that are not Islamically directed but which don't go against teachings?

And by songs I mean music with lyrics.

Not all music leads to sin.

Medina wrote:
    Thats fair enough. But what about songs about abstract topics such as lost love or the beauty of nature?

Or listening just to music with no lyrics?

What exactly is allowed and what exactly is forbidden..?

There are some great artists who create only music or who create songs that are not Islamically directed but which don't go against teachings?

And by songs I mean music with lyrics.

Not all music leads to sin.

For these specific kinds of music/lyrics as I said, Islamic scholars disagree a bit. Eventually, they try their best to get the real meaning, however at the end they admit - as always - that Allah swt knows best.

Honestly, it's a personal pick anyway, however by the vast majority of scholars, it is not advisable. Why? Well for example, it is always much better (and nobody can compare that) to listen to Qur'an recitation than to music of any kind 'cos Qur'an invites to good whilst that particular music/lyrics not necessarily and usually not.

103. Al-'Asr : The Afternoon

In the Name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.

By the declining day,

103:1

Lo! man is in a state of loss,

103:2

Save those who believe and do good works, and exhort one another to truth and exhort one another to endurance.

103:3

So in this case, a man would be in as state of loss.

And Allah swt knows best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Anyone listen to Qawwali music? It's devotional music from Sufism which I understand has roots in Islam. Fantastic vocal music.

• Advertisement

Your quotations didn't really seem relevant to the topic?

Can you quote the verse where it bans / advises against music?

Gordon wrote:
    Anyone listen to Qawwali music? It's devotional music from Sufism which I understand has roots in Islam. Fantastic vocal music.

No, but you might want to try this (it's not music though)

http://www.jannah.org/quran/

Medina wrote:

Here is the verse, detailed explanation you will find on the link below. Now, since you are not Arab - I guess - then you do not know the language, so there are different terms used to translate the word which leads to music/singing.

Details on this you can find here:

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/1716/music.html

And the verse is this:

1. Allaah said, what translated means, "And of mankind he who purchases idle talks to mislead (people) from the Path of Allaah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allaah) by way of mockery, For such there will be a humiliating torment." [31:6].

Al-Wahidi , along with other scholars of Tafsir (explaining the Qur'aan), said that "Idle Talk" in this Ayah is singing. The following companions gave this Tafsir: Ibn Abbas, Ibn Masud, Mujahid and Ikrimah . Ibn Masud said, "By Allaah, whom there is no God except Him, idle talk is singing."

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Medina wrote:

It's not in the Quran, but in the Hadeeth(life of the prophet) and having read debates on both sides it's quite vague(not vague about sinful music naturally).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

But a lot of music /singing encourages people to good behaviour, to peace and to love each other (in a brotherly/sisterly way).

Why is all music and singing regarded as 'misleading' people when a lot of it can do some good?

And why then are there links to singing in a sticky on this forum?

Singing that is performed by men when according to the info on the link it should only be at weddings and by or for women?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

So music without voice is ok?

Medina wrote:
    But a lot of music /singing encourages people to good behaviour, to peace and to love each other (in a brotherly/sisterly way).

Why is all music and singing regarded as 'misleading' people when a lot of it can do some good?

And why then are there links to singing in a sticky on this forum?

Singing that is performed by men when according to the info on the link it should only be at weddings and by or for women?

The problem is that people usually waste their time here in this life. They have The Last Revealed Book from Almighty Allah swt - The Qur'an - however they still choose and pick music instead.

Now, does that not sound almost like worshipping those singers and not worshipping Almighty?

You of course may answer what you like, aber that's your perspective. Remember that Almighty might have a slightly different opinion on that meaning you picked music instead of following My Revelation, so what are your arguments? - just a thought -

Would this not apply to television also then? How many Muslims watched the World Cup..do you think that in God's eyes they were doing something wrong because they were 'wasting their time'?

Why would a Muslim choose any kind of entertainment/pastime when the Qu'ran is sitting on their shelf waiting to be read?

This sounds a bit strange. Listening to music does not mean that people will always be worshipping something else. We have senses and music appeals to us. Same as television or the internet appeal to our eyes.

So unless you're saying all entertainments are a waste of time and worshipping something else, then it doesn't really make sense because music is no different to spending your time playing chess for example.

If I'm sitting at my desk typing for work, should I every time listen to recitations? Especially if I was a Muslim who couldn't understand Arabic even?

This becomes all encompassing according to your argument.

Medina wrote:
    Would this not apply to television also then? How many Muslims watched the World Cup..do you think that in God's eyes they were doing something wrong because they were 'wasting their time'?

Why would a Muslim choose any kind of entertainment/pastime when the Qu'ran is sitting on their shelf waiting to be read?

This sounds a bit strange. Listening to music does not mean that people will always be worshipping something else. We have senses and music appeals to us. Same as television or the internet appeal to our eyes.

So unless you're saying all entertainments are a waste of time and worshipping something else, then it doesn't really make sense because music is no different to spending your time playing chess for example.

If I'm sitting at my desk typing for work, should I every time listen to recitations? Especially if I was a Muslim who couldn't understand Arabic even?

This becomes all encompassing according to your argument.
    :D

good point about wasting our time.

You got me know, I'll try not to watch the next WC - if I live that long.

Sorry but that sounds extremist.

Basically what you've said is that doing anything with free time other than reading/listening to the qu'ran is a waste of time.

Does this include all pastimes? Hillwalking? Fishing? Swimming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Medina wrote:
    Hi,

It depends on who you ask. Yusuf Islam (Cat Stephens) is releasing is first "pop" music album in 28 years this November (http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/news/article485922.ece). He is a well respected Muslim and he seems to think it is ok.

Medina wrote:
    Sorry but that sounds extremist.

Basically what you've said is that doing anything with free time other than reading/listening to the qu'ran is a waste of time.

Does this include all pastimes? Hillwalking? Fishing? Swimming?

I'm sorry but I didn't say that. Can somebody find it?

What I meant that music is something specific, it's similar, but not equal to Qur'an recitation - BTW it produces some kind sound, right? And I don't maen sound like when a rock falls down from a mountain, let's make this clear.

Things you mentioned like walking, fishing, etc. are all by nature good things, - now let's not be extreme and say that you go for a walk to kills the 1st person you encounter -and you cannot compare them to listening to Speeach of Almighty.

BTW, of course you can make you walk better (if you do not have a company) if you listen to the Qur'an recitation at the same time. :D

Basically, if you go to bed at night with intention to rest your body given by The Lord, then you are worshipping Him by giving your body a chance to recover.
    If you eat (allowed) food with intention not to die hungry, then you are pleasing your Lord Who gave you that body.
    If you talk to people (having good manners, meaning nothing bad, etc.) that's also worshipping The Lord.
    If you help somebody to please your Lord, that's also worshipping Him.
    If you learn (to grasp/gain useful knowledge) you are worshipping your Lord and He is pleased with you.

Direct worshipping is performing prayers on time, fasting when you are ordered to, etc.

So all this and much more is worshipping Allah swt.

It depends on who you ask. Yusuf Islam (Cat Stephens) is releasing is first "pop" music album in 28 years this November (http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/news/article485922.ece). He is a well respected Muslim and he seems to think it is ok.

He is also an ex-singer... :cool:

babyvaio wrote:
    I'm sorry but I didn't say that. Can somebody find it?

What I meant that music is something specific, it's similar, but not equal to Qur'an recitation - BTW it produces some kind sound, right? And I don't maen sound like when a rock falls down from a mountain, let's make this clear.

Things you mentioned like walking, fishing, etc. are all by nature good things, - now let's not be extreme and say that you go for a walk to kills the 1st person you encounter -and you cannot compare them to listening to Speeach of Almighty.

BTW, of course you can make you walk better (if you do not have a company) if you listen to the Qur'an recitation at the same time. :D

I don't see where the boundaries are between what pastimes are a waste of time and what are not. Perhaps you'd like to explain.

Getting solace from music is no different than getting solace on a long hillwalk with a great view.

So I don't see the difference.

babyvaio wrote:
    Ouch!:D

• Advertisement

Medina wrote:
    I don't see where the boundaries are between what pastimes are a waste of time and what are not. Perhaps you'd like to explain.

Getting solace from music is no different than getting solace on a long hillwalk with a great view.

So I don't see the difference.

I understand, but I gave you more or less my private view, which many of the scholars would confirm and some maybe wouldn't.

Music is a grey area. There are things which are good, st stick to them, there are things which are bad, so avoid doing them, and yet there are things for which you can't be 100% sure if they're good for you, so advice is to avoid them, just to make sure.

babyvaio wrote:

I don't get you. How is he an ex-singer if he is making a new album which he sings on?

I don't get you. How is he an ex-singer if he is making a new album which he sings on?

OK, I'll rephrase - he's an ex-pop/rock singer by my knowledge.
    Now, does he sing on the new album, check it out. I wouldn't know.

What I'm sure of is that the album is not pop/rock or any other kind of music that you are refering to.

I misunderstood too. Thought you were taking the mickey. Ah well.

http://catstevens.com/discography/albums/00048.html Here's the skinny on the new album. Apparently mostly (bosnian)folk songs with Yusuf doing backing vocals. He does one song in English about children who lost their parents in that war.

Wibbs wrote:
    I misunderstood too. Thought you were taking the mickey. Ah well.

http://catstevens.com/discography/albums/00048.html Here's the skinny on the new album. Apparently mostly (bosnian)folk songs with Yusuf doing backing vocals. He does one song in English about children who lost their parents in that war.

Nah, that is not the one I am talking about. He is recording a new album at the moment. It features him singing & playing guitar with drums. You won't find it on his discography because it is not finished/released yet. There was a programme on BBC1 about him last May and he was talking about it. Very interesting stuff.

Check out this BBC article, I think it is the correct one but I can't check because it is blocked here in work:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4990640.stm

babyvaio wrote:
    OK, I'll rephrase - he's an ex-pop/rock singer by my knowledge.
    Now, does he sing on the new album, check it out. I wouldn't know.

What I'm sure of is that the album is not pop/rock or any other kind of music that you are refering to.

Not according to this:

http://billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002199215

http://catstevens.com/news.html?id=00235

UPDATED: YUSUF ISLAM READYING NEW POP ALBUM
    UPDATE: More news outlets are picking up this great news. Today we found a Reuters article as well as one on BBC. This is great press for the new album, and we hope it will build on Yusuf's already great momentum. According to the articles, Yusuf hopes the new album will provide a bridge between his relion of Islam and the West. We're really looking forward to the new album, which will be released on Polydor, a division of Universal.

Not according to this:

http://billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002199215

http://catstevens.com/news.html?id=00235

UPDATED: YUSUF ISLAM READYING NEW POP ALBUM
    UPDATE: More news outlets are picking up this great news. Today we found a Reuters article as well as one on BBC. This is great press for the new album, and we hope it will build on Yusuf's already great momentum. According to the articles, Yusuf hopes the new album will provide a bridge between his relion of Islam and the West. We're really looking forward to the new album, which will be released on Polydor, a division of Universal.

Then I was wrong. If there's a guitar, then it has to be rocky/popy/whatever.
    I personaly do not agree with that and I have strong proofs from The Qur'an and The Prophet's saws Way to back it up. In fact, people who really have the knowledge of Islam will tell you that (and BTW I don't mean myself).

And BTW, since when do we judge a system of faith like Islam on what Muslims do?
    Do we judge Christianity based on what Christians do?
    Hmmmm...

babyvaio wrote:
    Then I was wrong. If there's a guitar, then it has to be rocky/popy/whatever.
    I personaly do not agree with that and I have strong proofs from The Qur'an and The Prophet's saws Way to back it up. In fact, people who really have the knowledge of Islam will tell you that (and BTW I don't mean myself).

Is it not the sentiments in the song that should be the concern, not the instruments played. For example if he sings a song with acoustic guitar, some drums, etc and the words have a positive Islamic meaning, how can this be a bad thing?

I remember watching a video about an American Muslim convert (who used to be in a rock band, took drugs, etc). He went with a group to the middle east to study Islam in more detail. One evening after they had finished up the Immans asked his group if they knew any songs. None of his group knew any because they were all of the opinion that music is forbidden. To their amazement the people they travelled to the middle east to learn from all took turns to sing. They couldn't understand why these Muslims from the West thought music was such a bad thing.

Is it not the sentiments in the song that should be the concern, not the instruments played. For example if he sings a song with acoustic guitar, some drums, etc and the words have a positive Islamic meaning, how can this be a bad thing?

I remember watching a video about an American Muslim convert (who used to be in a rock band, took drugs, etc). He went with a group to the middle east to study Islam in more detail. One evening after they had finished up the Immans asked his group if they knew any songs. None of his group knew any because they were all of the opinion that music is forbidden. To their amazement the people they travelled to the middle east to learn from all took turns to sing. They couldn't understand why these Muslims from the West thought music was such a bad thing.

I understand what you're saying, but you forgot what I had said before: Muslim scholars are split-up here, some support music as it is not forbidden under certain conditions whilst for others it is forbidden no matter what the conditions are.

• Advertisement

babyvaio wrote:
    I understand what you're saying, but you forgot what I had said before: Muslim scholars are split-up here, some support music as it is not forbidden under certain conditions whilst for others it is forbidden no matter what the conditions are.
    How do you feel about it, just out of interest? Do you listen to music? If so, what types?

Advertisement