Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music in Islam

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Medina

Hmmm, I'm not sure I can agree with your decision Hobbes, but it is your decision.

Metrovelvet, I think I understand what you are saying about dance , that it is sad that some people might miss the experience of that kind of dance jazz, tap etc. You just need to be a bit more careful how you express yourself.

Now call me ignorant but I'm not sure what it expresses. If I watched a person tap dancing , what emotion would come across? I think it would be interesting but it wouldn't touch me or move me.

I think what I'm trying to say is that body movement of its own in the form of dance, without music and / or words/ costume/ atmosphere cannot express much to me..which is a contradiction in terms because body language speaks more to people than language most of the time...so

If the dance doesn't make people feel sexually provoked most of the time then I'm sure there would be Muslims who would agree and disagree with it. So tap, jazz etc would probably be fine. And to you it may appear as a shame that people miss it, but some people would be glad to miss it, if they thought it would lead them into sin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭babyvaio

There's something else which is not easy to understand - why people give up dancing, drinking, etc. and other things that they might like now & then?

Well, just because:

- they know Allah swt forbade that so they obbey Him
    - He swt promised them a great reward in obeying Him
    - they don't want to risk The Eternity for a few years of this short life
    - they love Him and this is the way to fully express their love towards Him swt
    - they don't have to repent for a sin they didn't do

I think I could list zillions of good reasons why people avoid these kinda things, eventhough they might like or even love dancing and some other stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

babyvaio, is it allowed for people to dance in a way that could be considered sexual on front of members of the same sex only? For example could a group of girls dance like Britany Spheres on front of other girls if no men were present?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭babyvaio

babyvaio, is it allowed for people to dance in a way that could be considered sexual on front of members of the same sex only? For example could a group of girls dance like Britany Spheres on front of other girls if no men were present?

Honestly, I couldn't answer that. This question is a more difficult one and I'd say you would need to get an official answer (fatwa) from Islamic scholars.

Personally, what would be the reason for a dance like that? You would need to describe this specific situation with some more details. The whole thing then might end up in a sin or not. Allah swt knows best!

BTW, deeds are evaluated upon the intentions - what would be i.e. an intention of BT in this case? Why would she dance in front of other girls at all? Let's first examine her intention and we might get closer to an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Medina

I would think that as long as they weren't lesbians it would be ok.

After all women are women then and couldn't sexually excite each other unless they were lesbians.

But yes, what would be the purpose unless its a dance lesson?

• Advertisement
Advertisement