Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Question (Urgent!!)

• 21-07-2006 2:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im going removing an electrical shower from our bathroom, how do I close and make safe the exposed electrical wiring temporarily for a few weeks before I install the new one .

Really appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

electrical insulation tape

also, the electric shower should have it's own circuit breaker, which you can turn off in your circuit breaker box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

tape, electricity and water???

there is no way someone can tell you that without inspecting it, get an electrician

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

mukki wrote:
    tape, electricity and water???

there is no way someone can tell you that without inspecting it, get an electrician

I took the assumption that the wires are quite a bit above the water.

However the circuit breaker option is much safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Thanks very much. I'll do both, however im unsure which circuit breaker it is. Do I simply follow the wiring from the shower to the breaker box and this will tell me which one it is?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

If the shower is still connected, run it and knock each breaker until it goes off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

delly wrote:
    If the shower is still connected, run it and knock each breaker until it goes off.

Correct, then leave it off, separate the 3 wires at the shower and tape them up individually. The breaker supplying the shower should have an RCBO or an RCD guarding it. If it doesn't you need to get an electrician in to fit one.

Also, put a bit of insulating tape over the breaker to ensure you don't put it back on by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Copper

Ask for an obo box in any electrical wholesalers, (splash-proof plastic box), they cost around €2. Stick the cable in the box, tape the three copper cores together(so the breaker cannot be reset by accident), and then tape the lid on. Tape the breaker down at the fuseboard aswell. Safe as houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

It probably has an isolator switch too, more than likely a pull cord one. Turn this off as well.

Advertisement