Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French doors catching

• 21-07-2006 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I have pvc french doors leading out into the garden. The left door (with the normal handle) catches slightly on one of the locking points about 3/4 of the way up the second door when opening or closing it. I have checked the hinges and the locking point in case any of them were loose and causing the problem but they were fine. Does anyone have any idea if there's anything I can do or if I just have to live with it?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I had a similar problem although the other way around. When the handle was pulled up to engage the locks, the last one was slightly out and was still free to move outwards. I only noticed as looking at the door from outside, the corner was sticking out from its partner door. Had to add a couple of spacers to fix it.

One thing you could do would be to move the metal piece to which the lock goes into and swap it with one of the others. You might find that it fits better with a bit of luck. After that you could check to see if the door is mounted to the frame tightly. Get an allan key and see if it will turn a slight bit which may make a difference to the lock catching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Had a similar problem the door started jamming when the good warm weather started. I could cure it temporarily by lifting the door up but it would be the same next day .I discovered the door had dropped but that it could be adjusted on the hinges using a little allen key . If there is a rectangular bracket / cover plate at the top and bottom of the door ie where the hinge attaches to the door.There should be a small hole in the centre looking sideways to the hinge and this is where fine adjustment on the door can be achieved .hope this makes sense .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I will try that. Thanks.

Advertisement