Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filling large holes in slab wall

Options
  • 21-07-2006 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

The previous owner of my house was, and I'm being kind here, a bit on the rough side when it came to diy. Basically in an attempt to hide some cables behind the skirting board (he still ended up with some cable outside it) he seems to have just taken a hammer to the bottom of the slab for about six foot.

This slab is on the wall between mine and the neighbours house. The dividing wall is block with what looks like a scratch coat on it and the slabs were mounted on this about an inch out with blobs of bonding/glue type stuff.

My question is how do I go about filling this, as the skirting will not rest against the wall correctly and in one or two spots the holes extend above the skirting?

I have been told that stuffing it with paper and then using filler is the way to go. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

In another spot, this time in the middle of a wall, I tidied up the hole with a stanley knife and made the edge of the hole sloped (wider on the inside edge than the outside). I then cut a piece of a slab to the same shape with a corresponding slope but not quite the same size (in order to avoid it falling into the hole and yet leave a bit of a gap for filler) and put that into the hole and filled around/over it. This seems to have worked but was a bit of a pain to do. Is there any better way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭nikolaitr

When you mean the slab is damaged do you mean dry wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I had a hole in my plasterboard and used corrugated cardboard as described in this thread....very simple

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054886140&referrerid=59211&highlight=hole

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Yeah, reading that thread, I just realised the way i went about it was a bit long winded...
    Anyway, I thought Id tell ye anyway, Had to fill a Hole in a wall left by an electrician who was fishing for a wire during some renovation at home, basically, i had no plasterboard and didnt particularly want to buy some so i pack the hole really well with tightly rolled newspaper(the slab was only 50mm from the wall), pushing the newspaper down about 4 inches all around the hole, then I paked behind the hole with more newspaper and added rolls of scrim, scrim is surprisingly hard and packs very well when tightly rolled, then i chipped away some of the plaster around the hole(about an inch or so all the way round) and stuck some scrim over the hole and polyfilla'd it up, sanded it smooth, filled any remaining dips, and painted it up...Job Done!

As I said, Corrugated cardboard would have been alot quicker:D

EDIT: But for your case, where it would be hard to keep everything level , I would probably fill the gap with expanding foam, just fix an off cut of skirting over the area and Tape the area where it meets the floor and the wall, leaving enough room to get the nozzle in and spray away, the off cut of skirting "should" keep the foam level enough to the front, and because it cant go anywhere else it will probably go up behind the wall......

Hope this helps

Advertisement