Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Street

Options
  • 21-07-2006 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Session 1 people may not be aware that the Session2ers have been banned from congregating in the The Street due to whatever it was that the Session1ers were doing.

Now, I don't want to foster any resentment towards whoever people ripped away one of the most integral parts of the CTYI experience and ruined it for everyone, but, well, discuss.

Were the couches SO badly abused? I mean, many people have been on them before, and the Street tends to be THE place for afternoon hanging, so what went so wrong, that it has been taken away?

(Also, is it just me, or is this forum getting pretty dead?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

This came up in Game Theory, someone said Boards was dead, until I pointed out that it's just this forum, not the whole of Boards, then we found out that Steve the Instructor knows Cloud. Small world.

Yeah so exactly what happened in the street that was bad that we can't hang out there now? The staff in Spar are getting pretty pissed off about us congregating outside there during break because we can't use the Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭JenLorigan

To be honest, the admin wouldn't do something this whine-inducing without a good reason. Being allowed use DCU for CTYI > being allowed use the Street to congregate. I mean, I'd rather we could have both, but I'm sure there was a good reason.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Yeah but come on. The Street is used and abused all year round and has been for years. How in the hell did you (S1) abuse it so much to get banned from it? Explain please.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

I'm not really too bothered tbh, never really used the Street much.. ever. But it is kind of annoying, I suppose, now that we can't use it, there seems to be more of a temptation. :p

I doubt what happened was -that- bad, there is a limit to what anyone will do in public, but people were complaining, so, I suppose colm didn't really have much of a choice.. maybe.. iunno

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Piste wrote:
    This came up in Game Theory, someone said Boards was dead, until I pointed out that it's just this forum, not the whole of Boards, then we found out that Steve the Instructor knows Cloud. Small world.

Yeah so exactly what happened in the street that was bad that we can't hang out there now? The staff in Spar are getting pretty pissed off about us congregating outside there during break because we can't use the Street.

that was so me. the bits i go on have people shouting about moving to bebo or those "things".

staying on topic, didnt colm say something about over friendlyness?

those in game theory, i found steve's blog. search his name in google, since i would probs get shouted at for linking. it is really intresting reading.

• Advertisement

In fairness, there's very little CTYIers /won't/ do in public. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

Apparently there is one DCU faculty member who has never liked CTYI and most years lodges some serious complaint. In my last year it concerned students kissing in the canteen and we were sternly told to keep pdas to a minimum. *smirk*

I'm guessing said person saw some amorous folks on the couches and lodged the same complaint. CTYI are just trying not to upset anyone, they are there only at DCU's pleasure are they not?

Bring back Sheila. She knew how to handle public displays of affection.

<cue couple in common room (yes, back in the day) going at it (kissing, you filth)>
    <cue Sheila walking in and standing there>
    <cue silence, some smirks, giggles>
    <cue couple stopping and looking around>
    "Coming up for air, eh?"
    <cue Sheila leaving>

Legend. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bandana

That's pretty ridiculous, I was in sess 1 and it wasn't that bad!
    There was a lot of moving the couches around, which they gave out yards about, went so far as to put up signs in the Street to warn everybody not to. That was as far as that went since the RAs were bugging everyone to fix the place up after they were done.
    It could have been a mix of that and that the litter was worse this year, on top of us there was a gang of skater kids that would just walk in, grab a drink out of the vending machine and throw their crap everywhere whenever a security guard actually deigned to show up.
    Also if there's a member of staff who's been giving out yards then there was one who insisted on falling asleep in the middle of the place every other day, thought he was a hobo-turned out he was a professor.
    ... And I think somebody managed to fly a giant paper aeroplane into one of the windows at the top of the place, didn't even know there were offices up there til he got given out yards to by some crazy woman.
    Wow actually after remembering all that I'm kindof inclined to see their point, and yet it still didn't seem worse than any other year I'd been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

halenger wrote:
    Bring back Sheila. She knew how to handle public displays of affection.

<cue couple in common room (yes, back in the day) going at it (kissing, you filth)>
    <cue Sheila walking in and standing there>
    <cue silence, some smirks, giggles>
    <cue couple stopping and looking around>
    "Coming up for air, eh?"
    <cue Sheila leaving>

Legend. :)

those were indeed the days. in those days the RAs were told to be that way too, and Catriona was kept on a leash. ;) Man, the common rooms were probably the biggest loss...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

First the Hub, then the common rooms and now the Street. Any guesses on what'll be next to go? My money's on bathrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

Hee hee, good times, good times. Seriously though, they had the Metro there every morning which was mostly used to beat people over the head with and then disguarded. It was probably the litter, although there was a certain young couple (and no, not involving me) that were scolded a few times by Elanor......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I remember some passers-by last year being ignorant to CTYIers, for example let's say, me.

So some people are just unpleasant.
    In fairness, there's very little CTYIers /won't/ do in public. wink.gif

And I was just sleeping. Stupid bitch.

I completely forgot about no common rooms. That sucked.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

They've taken the Street! That's outrageous. That was THE place, after the Quad. They're gonna take the Quad too, y'know. There'll be one water fight too many and the next thing BAM! Use the emergency exit/ windows, thank you.

Yeah, Bring Back Sheila. We should start a big committee. With T-shirts!

I dont know about Boards being dead. I havent been on it in aaages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Spraypaint

This is probably a step too far. CTYIers need a place to congregate and just chill out. Plus those couches are comfy. Back in my day (granted it was only last year but still) the couches were used and abused like there was no tomorrow (vague recollections of 17 people on one couch) but the powers-that-be didn't do much, if anything about it. And thats the way we liked it! The goings-on in the street were usually harmless and [with a few notable exceptions] relatively clean. The litter is a new one on me though. I always remember it being junk-free. What the heck happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Maybe it was due to all the people stealing from vending machines. Not that anything'll change, they'll just go to the ones in the Henry Grattan lobby.

Maybe it was due to all the people stealing from vending machines. Not that anything'll change, they'll just go to the ones in the Henry Grattan lobby.

Those are harder to rob...

Not that I'd know... (Wants to be an RA)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

Yeah, CTYI seems to have lost its sparkle since my first year. I can't believe they've banned the street though, that's pretty drastic. I remember a few years ago...some unnamed people...used to poke holes in the couches and pull out the string. And never a word was said.

Psh, bring back the good oul days when petty vandalisim was overlooked, that's what I say. But I'm never going back so I guess it doesn't really affect me either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Wtf I'm doing posting at 4am I'll never know..

Anyway, while it does sound pretty crap and all to be without the Street, it's not really as if anything can be done about it. As sionn said, "they are there only at DCU's pleasure", which is exactly right. Any complaints have to be taken very seriously or the privilege could be taken away. And I have to agree with Jen, having CTYI itself there is more important than the use of the Street. It'll be weird, but I guess you'll have to get used to it.

Hope you kiddies are having a good time despite that. :) *shuffles off muttering about the good old days* ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Major McMuffin

I was there session 1, and to be honest, what happened in the street happens every year. You know what im talking about, anyone who rememberers Irwin's definition of "canoodling" does. And as for moving furniture, hell, that happens all the time too. Still, over 4 years of ctyi, things seemed to get progressively stricter. All that said, im a spiteful nevermore now, why back in my day... *begins rambling tangent, which spawns several other unrelated tangents* And damn, those skater kids were annoying too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

Psh, bring back the good oul days when petty vandalisim was overlooked, that's what I say.

And how can we do this, I hear you ask? Bring Back Shiela. That's what the front of the T-shirt'll say. The back'll say Nothing Personal, Colm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

or, yeh know, people could not be prats?

I never quite understood this whole pushing the rules thing - if people actually had some common sense and didn't act like children, they wouldnt be treated as such. I know when i was working there I had no interest in doing so, but there are certain situations where you have to thanks to the completely ignorant actions of some. c'est la vie.

The pushing the rules thing I kinda understand. The rules haven't really changed much since I started, but attitudes and enforcement has. Back in '02/'03, the rules could be bent every so often, to the good of someone, not as rigid as they are now. Now, the students are still poking the rules, checking for some little degree of flexibility, not finding it, and the rigidity is all coming plib with the students not quite getting that the times they have a changed. Weird, considering none of them really go back that far... Still, there will come a time when they're sick of banging their heads off the apparent administrative wall and just stop pushing the rules. Incidentally, I pushed the rules quite a bit, and it was frustrating and oppressive feeling to have them tighten up and be strictly enforced over the past two years. I honestly don't think I'd go back as an RA if I were to be expected to enforce them properly. I'd feel like a bit of a dick...

&#231 wrote: »
    or, yeh know, people could not be prats?

I never quite understood this whole pushing the rules thing - if people actually had some common sense and didn't act like children, they wouldnt be treated as such. I know when i was working there I had no interest in doing so, but there are certain situations where you have to thanks to the completely ignorant actions of some. c'est la vie.

But how can you not expect them not to? They are children. And its not like they did those things to break the rules. The reason session 2ers are banned from the street is the litter caused by the free Metros being handed out. I know its CTYIers' fault but I wouldn't call it "pushing the rules". Its not like they were harassing passers by or beating up strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

aye, but part of the idea of CTYI is that if you can act grown up, and stay within the rules, then you'll be treated like that. and it makes it easier for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

There was obviously something done by some twats that got it banned

well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Thursday*

I've heard people were banned from the couches in 2004 due to 'canoodling'.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask everyone to step back from this for a moment and to point out the absolutely absurdity of the phrase 'abusing the couches'. I mean, really.

And finally - I was in session 1 this year, nothing mad happened as regards the couches, signs went up about moving them, I don't know how well that request was honoured. My class didn't spend much time in the street anyway as our wonderful whimsical evil dictator of an instructor didn't like the couches because they were 'so stereotypical CTYI'.

Please don't be all bitter towards session 1 people, session 2 folks, you gotta remember no student actually made the decision to ban people from the street, that was an action taken by a member of staff for their own reasons completely beyond our control.

And has no explanation been offered, no?

Thursday* wrote:
    I've heard people were banned from the couches in 2004 due to 'canoodling'.

Eh, not to my recollection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Thursday*

No? Well I wasn't there, just my mates who were said that. Could have gotten the details wrong myself.

• Advertisement

They weren't banned in session 1 either although they were never used nearly as much in my experience as this year.

Advertisement