Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Thursday* wrote:
    I've heard people were banned from the couches in 2004 due to 'canoodling'.

No, we were just warned off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Thursday*

Oh that would be it then. Glad I wasn't just making it up in my mind. Warned off canoodling, is it? Funny the mixed messages they have going there - 'points!' 'but no canoodling!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Colourful

Is the Street all locked up then? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

god no. but we walk through it every day.... flinging longing looks at those strangly coloured couches as if we had just lost aa friend.....
    and there is still metro's all over the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Colourful wrote:
    Is the Street all locked up then? :(
    Why would it be locked up? DCU != CTYI

I'm inclined to agree with Neil and Matt, if they've banned session 2 from using it then in all likelihood people were abusing it in session one.

• Advertisement

Raphael wrote:
    in all likelihood people were abusing it in session one.

There's no "in all likelihood" about it, we know they were abusing it, Colm told us that on the first day, we just want to know how.

I wasn't there on the first day. Must you rub salt in the wound, you heartless wench?

*runs off crying*

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Piste wrote:
    There's no "in all likelihood" about it, we know they were abusing it, Colm told us that on the first day, we just want to know how.

heartless.

Quiet Aonghus, this clearly shows that she knew the couches were abused, I wasn't getting at you not being there this year (lol, nevermore) :p

Were the couches SO badly abused?

That was a long time ago, many people have been going "God, CTYI, how could you!" since then. Also, shut up you dumb whore. thumbsup.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

I think we all know that it was because of the session 1ers but, I don't believe the abuse was any worse than any CTYI session I've been at (03-06). Its just DCU staff getting more strict.

Oh, and I heard enough about how DCU staff dislike CTYI. And it wasn't because the students are abusive to DCU property but apparently DCU staff don't like the idea of "Talented Youth" and think of it as elitist and a snobbish thing etc. Weird.

Yeah I have a bit of a niggling thing in my own head about that but a principle is only a principle when it costs you something and since I keep going to CTYI because it's so amazing I can't really say anything about it.

Seriously, Session 2 people, we're not keeping anything from you, it's not that we had a huge orgy on the couches, or sprayed pig slurry all over them, and we're not telling you, or anything. I think you need to calm down a bit. Session 1 (or its representation on boards) has told you honestly their impressions of what was and wasn't going on and you have to accept it now, and again it was the decision of the staff and not the students to close off the Street.

Also, guys, let's have a bit of perspective here - the Street is a nice room to hang out in but it's not the essence of CTYI or anything, what makes CTYI wonderful is the people and the craic, and physical location isn't the point. DCU as a series of buildings isn't exactly paradise. If you'd lost another facility there'd be similiar 'It was the very pinnacle of happiness' cries. All the same I'm going to miss the couches a bit if they're still off limits Session 1 2007. Find a new centre of good hanging out times! And teach me better sentence structure, that was shameful!

You have told us what happened. IMHO it was moving the couches around and firing a paper airplane into someones office that got the street privilges(sp?) revoked. Not that it matters to me, I won't be coming back as a student...

Edit: You're completely right about them being gone not being that big a deal btw. Sure they haven't even been couches in the street for that long, and our lives weren't miserable before then. DCU still has plenty of other places to lounge about and do nothing

Raphael wrote:
    DCU still has plenty of other places to lounge about and do nothing

In fact it's really well designed for that purpose. I mean, res is great for it, and the quad, and the grassy bits, and benches, and yes, street, and place with echo outside canteen name of which I constantly forget, and steps outside canteen, and seats in lobby of Henry Grattan....actually yeah this is a bit weird. It's like it was the objective in designing the campus. Is this a bad thing?

'An admirably succint and accurate summary', Raphael. And it's 'privileges'. Although 'sp' could also be an acronym for Street Privileges, which was what I thought you were suggesting at first.

So where have you Session 2ers been hanging out then?

(sp?) = spelling? i.e. "this is probably wrong, someone want to correct me?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Thursday* wrote:
    Yeah I have a bit of a niggling thing in my own head about that but a principle is only a principle when it costs you something and since I keep going to CTYI because it's so amazing I can't really say anything about it.

Seriously, Session 2 people, we're not keeping anything from you, it's not that we had a huge orgy on the couches, or sprayed pig slurry all over them, and we're not telling you, or anything. I think you need to calm down a bit. Session 1 (or its representation on boards) has told you honestly their impressions of what was and wasn't going on and you have to accept it now, and again it was the decision of the staff and not the students to close off the Street.

Also, guys, let's have a bit of perspective here - the Street is a nice room to hang out in but it's not the essence of CTYI or anything, what makes CTYI wonderful is the people and the craic, and physical location isn't the point. DCU as a series of buildings isn't exactly paradise. If you'd lost another facility there'd be similiar 'It was the very pinnacle of happiness' cries. All the same I'm going to miss the couches a bit if they're still off limits Session 1 2007. Find a new centre of good hanging out times! And teach me better sentence structure, that was shameful!
    you moved tham after you were told not to

How stupid can one get? ffs

Eh, I didn't see them moved after the signs went up warning us not to, but then again, you must know more than me about Session 1, what with you not being there of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

carlowboy wrote:
    Oh, and I heard enough about how DCU staff dislike CTYI. And it wasn't because the students are abusive to DCU property but apparently DCU staff don't like the idea of "Talented Youth" and think of it as elitist and a snobbish thing etc. Weird.

I've always picked up on that but no-one agreed with me. Though it's a bit controversial to say I think that a lot of people in general abhore CTYIers because they consider them to be of their own importance and inconsiderate. It's an incorrect prejudice for the most part I think but people often will be looking to complain about anything if they assume that viewpoint.

carlowboy wrote:
    Eh, I didn't see them moved after the signs went up warning us not to, but then again, you must know more than me about Session 1, what with you not being there of course.
    Well something was done. If not by your group, then another one. Something that pissed them off no end

why the hell would you need/want to move them in the first place?

• Advertisement

Well something was done. If not by your group, then another one. Something that pissed them off no end

why the hell would you need/want to move them in the first place?

They only put up warnings re moving the couches. The couches weren't moved again. As I've posted before on this topic, it was no worse this year in session 1 than any session I've been at CTYI before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

The only healthy resolve is to somehow place the blame on the Sportalians. If not sess. 2ers will be pissed with sess. 1ers and they'll both be pissed with the staff, which isn't a good road to go down... heh "go down", I love this board...

carlowboy wrote:
    They only put up warnings re moving the couches. The couches weren't moved again. As I've posted before on this topic, it was no worse this year in session 1 than any session I've been at CTYI before.
    If that's true they would have banned the use before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

To be honest with you Thursday, I think the thread is a lot calmer than it could have been...

Anyway, I caught a sekkrit sit on a couch earlier on today so I'm happier about the situation.

Also, while we're talking about the street, but is it just me, or does the coffee machine there give more than any of the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭JenLorigan

Steph: Yes, yes it does.

Everyone else: Play nice, kiddies. Most of the people who are getting angriest aren't even here. Okay, it matters to you, but it's only going to affect you as much as you let it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

A lot of you are completely right. The staff of DCU do hate CTYI. The foreigners get an easy ride while CTYI gets complaints every day. The couches were not moved after the signs went up and it was no worse than any other year.So yeah I think the hate them because they think they're great argument is spot on.

Side note: What's so great about the Street anyway?It was a greenhouse most of last year, I dread to think what it's like in the current heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Mm greenhouse.
    And the couches are comfortable. And there are lots of them so it's not an issue of there being 2 benches for 300 people.
    I think I just have a lot of associations with it as for the 04 and 05 that was where my class used to hang out all the time.

If that's true they would have banned the use before

Just stop trolling, mkay?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

*snigger*

• Advertisement

Raphael wrote:
    (sp?) = spelling? i.e. "this is probably wrong, someone want to correct me?"

I know, yeah, so I did correct you, and then pointed out that it could also be....etc.

Advertisement