Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

raised percolation bed

Options
  • 21-07-2006 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

I am presently getting qoutes for a 150 sq m raised percolation bed to run in conjunction with the septic tank, first qoute in is for €7,500. How does this sound ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

secman wrote:
    I am presently getting qoutes for a 150 sq m raised percolation bed to run in conjunction with the septic tank, first qoute in is for €7,500. How does this sound ?

I am curious. I'm not sure as to what is involved with perc beds when
    they aren't required to be raised. However, is your quote the cost
    of additional work to be done (eg, importing of material of the suitable
    T value and the installation of the raised beds) compared to
    what it would cost if the requirement wasn't there for raised beds ?

I wonder because raised beds (1 meter above existing ground level)
    was made a condition of planning for our site and I'm wondering if
    there are extra hidden costs above what the builder originally
    quoted for (he is meant to have included all sewage groundworks,
    supply & fit of septic tank & treatment plant). I was assuming
    that the only additional cost I am liable for is the importing of the
    material to make up the beds.

~ipl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭secman

Hi,

Yep that quote does include importation of suitable graded top soil and all the necessary piping. Also included is a french drain system around the percolation area. And finally it includes excavation for septic tank and hooking it up to percolation area. Got him down to €7,000. The need for the raised bed is simply due to existing soil not being suitable for drainage, its basically marle ( not sure of spelling).

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

Hi Secman,

Our soil also seems to be gravelly/marly. The topsoil seems good
    but the subsoil is gravelly as far as I can tell.

In any case we also got the directive from CoCo to put in raised
    beds. What, if I may ask, was the specified raised height of pipes
    compared to existing ground level stipulated in your planning
    conditions ? Ours was 1 metre above which seems kind of high
    to me. Do you know what the footprint / area of the raised
    beds are going to be ?

~ipl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭secman

Hi iplogger1,

Ours has to be 1 metre high also. In drawings supplied to CoCo its shown as 15metres wide and 10metres in depth. However I am assured it will be acceptable to go 25 metres wide by 6metres in depth, so long as its 150sq metres. dont want to lose to much depth in back garden. A cousin of mine has done something similar and planted shrubs et along the front slope, its looks like a rockery . Also as its quite wide , he grassed the top and inserted a putting green on it. Looks the biz. When I first saw it I had no iota what lay beneath, Just thought it was a feature in the garden to give it some height.

Advertisement