Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custon POIs

Options
  • 21-07-2006 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here gone to the trouble of creating custom POIs for their GPS systems? I've just got a Garmin StreetPilot c310 and added the POI loader. You can use it to add locations of speed cameras to your GPS system so it warns you when you are near one and you can set a limit so it only sounds when you passs the speed limit. I'm going to start making a note of them but it involves adding a waypoint when passing the camera, extracting that waypoint to get the lat. and lon. and then added this to a file. It'll take a while but I was just interested to find if anyone else has done anything similar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

FX Meister wrote:
    Has anyone here gone to the trouble of creating custom POIs for their GPS systems? I've just got a Garmin StreetPilot c310 and added the POI loader. You can use it to add locations of speed cameras to your GPS system so it warns you when you are near one and you can set a limit so it only sounds when you passs the speed limit. I'm going to start making a note of them but it involves adding a waypoint when passing the camera, extracting that waypoint to get the lat. and lon. and then added this to a file. It'll take a while but I was just interested to find if anyone else has done anything similar.

i have Route66 navigate 7 and am setting this up at present.This software allows you to set up custom POI catagories such as "Cameras" and then include locations in the catagory.I think this will work but i need to pass the "camera" to see for sure.will post back soon.

there is also a POI alarm setting but as i say i need to do a dry run to test this

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

eirlink wrote:
    i have Route66 navigate 7 and am setting this up at present.This software allows you to set up custom POI catagories such as "Cameras" and then include locations in the catagory.I think this will work but i need to pass the "camera" to see for sure.will post back soon.

there is also a POI alarm setting but as i say i need to do a dry run to test this

well i tried it today on a run and it works a treat.I just put in Ficticious cam sites for the test and set the alarms for between 500 meters and 1k.approaching these locations from any direction gave audible and visual warnings from the satnav.
    now i just need to enter the true locations of the fixed gatsos and set the distance alarms and thats it.
    BTW my system will alert me on approach to the cam locations even when the unit is not in navigation mode...ie when just driving along with the route being shown live on screen.

Its a great feature of any satnav software to be able to enter custom POI`s directly into the unit(as opposed to having to download a database) as you go on your journey and Route 66 have included this.Great too as you can set up several custom POI "catagories",give them custom icons and then manually include points of interest in these catagories as as you please:)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

Hi,

Did you set up POI for camera?

I have the garmin 660 and trying to do that now.

Advertisement