Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation from TG4 Tour de France coverage?

• 21-07-2006 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

This is probably a long shot, but:

during the coverage of the Tour on tg4 every day the commentator says something I can't make out. It sounds like "dan walling" but obviously that can't be it! He says it several times throughout the day, often when discussing contact with viewers or how to enter the competition they are running.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Hi Nando, I'm thinking it's

Dean teangmhail:

It means 'get in contact' though another member in this forum can most likely offer a more literal translation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

nando wrote:
    This is probably a long shot, but:

during the coverage of the Tour on tg4 every day the commentator says something I can't make out. It sounds like "dan walling" but obviously that can't be it! He says it several times throughout the day, often when discussing contact with viewers or how to enter the competition they are running.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Was it a stand alone statement or as part of a broader sentence?

I had that problem with the term 'Bail o dhia' which I kept hearing on the radio and which sounded like 'bol a yerry' to me every time I heard it. Eventually worked it out.

What's that expression that is used to denote sarcasm, for example you'd say 'is ceoltoir maith e' and then add an Irish word that shows you don't really mean it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Thanks for your replies.

It was part of a sentence not a stand alone statement and, like I said, was used regularly when the commentator was talking about questions viewers had sent in or when talking about entering the competition.

POG IT, think the phrase might be "mar dhea"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭GaryOR

póg it has it, its déan teagmháil linn -> contact us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Thankyou!:)

Yup that's the one Nando, and thanks GaryOr for finishing that other one out for me :cool:
    Ta an forum seo thar barr!

Advertisement